1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Kamaage: VF5R for console effort

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by kamaage, Jan 15, 2010.

1. shyn

shyn New Member

I've been playing Virtua Fighter since the arcade original and I've always enjoyed the deep moveset and fluid action of the series.

Please continue to bring new versions of Virtua Fighter to North America - it's the best 3D fighter around.

Sean (Canada)

2. marcol

marcol New Member

Dear Sega

Please release Virtua Fighter 5R on PS3 and Xbox360, for the fan.

Marc, France

3. Too_Sober

Too_Sober Well-Known Member

Dear SEGA,

Firstly, I would like to add my voice of support to the thread and request that we see more Virtua Fighter on console. With VF5: Final Showdown announced it really is the ideal opportunity to resurrect this franchise in the West.

Secondly, I would like to state that the fans and the community should not have been treated in a such a manner where we have to "petition" you for a game. We should not be in this predicament at all. While you may sight poor sales figures for VF5, I'd counter argue that by saying to you that you could have done so much more to support your game through advertising, through the handling of the console release (disparity between PS3 and Xbox 360), and to support this fighting game community. You have failed us and to not state this observastion would be neglect on my part.

Fighting games have undergone something of a renaissance these past couple of years - and SEGA should have been at the forefront of that movement. But instead, I can only thank Namco Bandai, Arc System Works and Capcom for this. In particular, Capcom should be held as an example of how a developer has to repsond to demanding fans, harsh critics and deliver a quality product in such tough economic circumstances. They have managed to keep their niche gaming community alive by responding to the insatiable hunger of fighting gamers for their game.

Street Fighter 4 has been a shining example of how well fighting games can impact on the western market. And yet again, with Super Street Fighter 4, Capcom are doing all that they can to appease the fans of their franchise without the need of the fans to resort to a petiton to secure a release. Capcom are good at public relations; they communicate with their fanbase. Capcom are also smart game developers - they know that we need the next iteration of the game to play if the community is to grow and the franchise is to succeed. That's good (and obvious) business sense. Quite frankly SEGA, compared to Capcom's efforts, you've fallen so miserably and laughably short of the mark that it actually upsets me, especially when I think about how important the VF franchise is.

And lastly, I would like to state that if VF5: Final Showdown comes to the West, please concentrate on making it as feature packed, polished and complete as possible. If you take VF4: Evolution as a template for it's superb tutorials and training modes that take time to explain the intricacies of the game mechanics and update that for Final Showdown you'll have gone a long way to help ease new gamers into this franchise. You'll also need a decent online code with a lobby system and of course other VF staples like replay chanels and such like to improve the overall package to make this a sellable game. Do not be afraid to make this title as identicle to arcade release (with all it's extra features and customisations) as possible. It also goes without saying that there should of course also be a prompt European release, co-ordinated with the worldwide console release for Japan/USA. Fans expect a lot and we have a right to because we've waited this long!

Yours sincerely,
    G, aka "Too Sober", a VF gamer in London, UK.

4. BxB

BxB New Member

I'm a long time VF fan (since VF2 on the Sega Saturn) who would definitely buy VF5: Final Showdown if it's released on 360 or PS3. I hope you wil give us the chance to experience the latest VF experience.

Thanks
    JM, France

5. TarkanX

TarkanX New Member

Dear Sega,

Please port Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown to consoles. There have been many Virtua Fighter fans that have wanted to be on a similar field with the Japanese, so they can compete with them, but that has not been the case for about 2 years now. Fighting games have become more popular now, compared to a couple years ago, with the releases of Street Fighter 4, and Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion. If you release Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, with proper, full blitz advertisement, as well as a tutorial mode (similar to the one that Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution had), and other aesthetics, then surely, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown will sell, potentially over one million copies.

Sega has made some of the greatest games ever, but their community base outside of Japan has not liked some of Sega's business decisions as of late. Releasing this game to console would be a huge step in helping bringing back the Sega name that was known throughout the 80's, and 90's, a great name.

Thank you for considering this message.

Tahir, Minneapolis, MN

6. LowerLevel

LowerLevel New Member

I cannot convey enough my absolute desire for VF5R to come to home consoles. Starting with the arcade cabinets onto the Sega Saturn and lately the current gen systems, I have always had VF on my gaming consoles. The absolute largest reasoning for me to buy the PlayStation2 was VF4! I "double dipped" on VF5 for both Ps3 and 360, and to be honest, would do so again if VF5R comes home to the next gen consoles.

To be honest, the only thing I would actually like more than VF5R is a true next gen Phantasy Star sequel. But I digress, this is a heartfelt request for VF5R to come to either 360, Ps3 or both to reach a larger audience! Please, make it happen.

Thanks

Anthony, Quincy, MA

7. lingivey

lingivey New Member

My name is Sterling Ivey and I am from Queens, New York. I picked up Virtua Fighter on the PS2 starting with 4. It was a little tough at first but it was fun, then EVO came out for 20 dollars. I don't know how they released a game that was about 20 times better for a fraction of the price but they did. I could play this game with my friend for hours until my eyes bled. I never bought an arcade stick but we got pretty good with PS2 controllers... We enjoyed everything about it, the music, graphics, characters, and just how deep and balanced it is.

First off, the game still looks better in my opinion then SC4 and Tekken 6. I also think it is a good time to bring it out as fighting games are having a big resurgence in this generation but we are missing the best 3d fighter of the generation.

Production cost and all that cost money and it is a financial risk but I believe with a good plan and timing, you can definitely make an impact. I will happily pay 60, but I think it should be competitive, so a sweet spot would be between 30- 40 dollars, possibly download only.

Whatever you do, thanks for hearing us out...

8. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

This one is from a friend of mine:

--------------------------------------------------------------

To Whom it may concern;

Hello, although not a direct member of the VFDC community I do have the pleasure of knowing, and playing with, one of the VFDC regulars who despite his best efforts has still yet to hammer into me the finer arts of VF.

For the last year or so I've been playing VF on and off and at the same time I've been recieveing, via my good friend, videos, images and replays of VF5R from the arcade and the volume of subtle and not-so-subtle changes is astounding but it did sadden me to learn that this "update" would not be gracing the home console systems. I had the pleasure of playing VF4: Evo and the thought of an "incomplete" VF was shocking. Evo's playability and the vast tutorial system blew my mind in terms of sheer scope. Never before had I seen a fighting game that would teach you the game, in it's entirity, where to start, essential techniques, useful combos, useful counters and defence techinques (Not that i do much defending mind!) and advanced tricks of the trade.

I have a hope that VF5R will bring something like that to the table, but even without it, the additional move-sets, changes and, from what I'm told, increased pace of play should make for a very exciting and to be honest, polished fighting game.

I consider myself a fighting game veteran, playing the likes of a majority of the Capcom series of fighters and Tekken in the 3d-fighting stakes but VF's style has always intrigued me, there's a more "solid" feel to the game in terms of playability. It is one of the few fighting games that I could consider fair, subject to opinion of course, with no character in particular standing atop the others in terms of a particular imbalance in their moveset or speed. VF also frequently updates and changes its games to firmly cement this, showing that the community at large and the developers respect one another and share a mutual love in crafting an enjoyable fighting experience.

As an example of this progress, my particular character choice, (though it does change!) to begin with was Goh and to a lesser extent, Lau. When I first played Goh back in VF4 he seemed to be a brutal fighter, but his moves seemed a little "clean", as he progressed into VF5, the moveset changed to a more savage fighting style and from what i've seen of VF5R, Goh is quite simply a blue-haired monster.

This kind of progress sets of VF apart from the rest in my eyes. Most fighting games forego the effect of updating and modifying the core game in favour of unecessary character additions or flashy additions to the game that either unbalance it completely or are completely redundant.

To this end, it is always exciting to see what Sega and VF come up with next and the prospect of the consoles missing out on an update as prolific as 5R is a harrowing thought indeed. The current VF 5 on the consoles still has a distinctive place amongst even the very newest of fighters but 5R could be a true contender for the top fighting game spot.

Sincerely,

B.P. McGuinness, Rotherham, UK

Pai~Chun likes this.
  9. Dony

Dony New Member

Dear SEGA, (sekai ichiban kaisha)

- unfortunately kanjis support is not activated -

This is my own message for a VF5R Final Showdown console version.

I am one of your big fan on both Arcade and console systems, especially a long time Virtua Fighter fan too.

Every episod was a master piece, I mean a "chef d'oeuvre" as we say in France, demonstrating how AM2 is a skillful team & Sega trully the Master in Arcade games for the gameplay's precision, the amazing graphs and the devotion to create stunning and high-level games.

Every time I see a new Virtua Fighter, the same three words come out: "Oh my god...". I am pretty sure it will happen again if you release VF5R on console, giving this same result from VF fans and from those who are not yet fans as well.

I love VF series so much I still cannot even play other fighting games (the only one since VF3 is Fighting Vipers 2 on Model 3 and on my lovely Dreamcast) as other titles are not able to bring that "Sega touch", I mean, that level of excitement.

VF is great. A quick look to the market shows that VF5R can be a major actor among other fighting titles; actually, to me its only real challenger today would be VF5 itself as other titles have a long, loooooong 'Jûnen hayai no da yo'-style way to go.

I don't know much about your marketing plans so I will accept your final decision about making a console version or not for VF5R, but my opinion is that this great game deserves great exposure.

So I will continue to seek for every opportunity to bring that one home, even if it were to be available only in Japan I will surely purchase it whatever the cost and whatever the hardware system, like I did for some previous Sega games (e.g. let's say Ryû ga Gotoku Kenzan... Well, it helps me improve my Japanese language skills by the way).

Wishing you the best for the future, giving you my full support as a long time fan of your company,

Ike Sega! [​IMG]
    Let's go Sega! I love your games!

Tony, Toulouse (France)

10. zero4life

zero4life New Member

COME ON SEGA I LOVE VIRTUA FIGHTER,I HAVE BEEN PLAYING IT EVER
    SINCE VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 AND THAT GAME IS AWESOME, I LOVE THE DEPT OF VIRTUA FIGHTER AND HOW THE STLYE OF THE GAME FEELS AND HOW ALL OF THE CHARACTERS HAVE THERE OWN UNIQUE COOLEST TO THEM, HELL WITH OUT VIRTUA FIGHTER A LOT OF OTHER 3D FIGHTERS WOULD NOT HAVE COME TO BE SO PLEASE BRING VIRTUA FIGHTER 5R OUT ON CONSOLES OVER HERE FOR US HELL IF YOU EVEN BRING IT OUT ON THE TOO PSP I'LL BUY BOTH THE CONSOLE VERSIONS AND THE PSP ONE TOO
    JUST TO SUPPORT YOU PLUS AS A GAME COMPANY YOU GUYS CAME OUT SOME GAMES THAT I'LL NEVER FORGET AND VIRTUA FIGHTER IS ONE OF THEM AND PLEASE DON'T HALF ASS IT MAKE IT BE JUST AS BAD ASS AS ALL THE VIRTUA FIGHTER I REMEMBER AND LOVE.

CHRIS.S-USA

11. N10248

N10248 Member

I've always considered Virtua Fighter to be the best in its genre throughout its history. I'm not an expert player - I've never even tried to work out the frame stuff, but VF5 is still one of my favourite games even after this long.

But with the huge changes I've seen watching videos of VF5R and I expect even more creative ideas and new things will appear once Final Showdown get going, regular old VF5 looks a bit dated and limited in comparison.

The latest version without any doubt should get a console release, the differences between VF5 and VF5 R/FS are so significant that the game would never be perceived as an "update" but a whole new game, even by people who are not fans of the series.

So go on Sega, click that "Save as Xbox & PS3 game" button and make a lot of people smile.

Robert C
    London, UK

Pai~Chun likes this.
  12. Delta_06

Delta_06 New Member

Sega and esteemed creators of VF:

Usually I DO NOT POST, but I had to do my part in assisting with getting the latest edition of VF released here in North America. Yes, I have lurked VFDC since it was first established. I posted some early stuff for VF2 when I was frantically taking on all arcade challengers. I went dormant during the VF3 years (bought the console and game anyway). Now, I watch the new school of masters and again silently learn all I can. My love of the VF series still burns!

I still remember the first day I played VF I. I remember the location, day, and time. Standing there, back in a San Diego, CA arcade on a late Friday afternoon Feb 1991, my jaw hit the ground when I saw the graphics and characters in that stand-up console. It was the newest arcade game on the floor; it had almost everyone intimidated with the style and flash it displayed. Eagerly, I ran to the coin machine (back when they still used coins vice tokens) and lost my first fight to a CPU Pai in a record 18 seconds as my favorite character, Jeffrey McWild!

That was nearly 15 years ago and every time I play Jeff, I still get just as excited to play the game as I did back then. I bought the PS3 SPECIFICALLY so I could play VF5. I couldn't wait for the XBOX version.

I continue to play every character in the VF series and enjoy the rigors of learning the nuances and intricacies associated with each fighting style. I've enjoyed watching the series designers mature and grow each of the characters and have warmly welcomed each new character added to the fold (sorry, I still hate Lion and can't stand Jacky; though I love french fries and Jeet Kune Do).

Anyway, I could write a book alone on the joys and fun I have had with this series. I'll just say this and end my post: I used to play this game with friends in the arcade years ago when I attended university. I now enjoy the game in the sanctity of my home, challenging my 2nd oldest daughter. Once again it's the age old fight established some-odd 15 years ago between Jeff and Pai. I play Jeff and my 13 yr old daughter Ruth plays Pai. It's a family tradition in this household.

Release VF5FS in the US on PS3. My family is eagerly awaiting the release and looks forward to engaging this new release!

Kamaage, thanks for starting this initiative. To my VF brothers and sisters, thanks for keeping VF alive throughout the world (yeah, I'm a sentimental old fart, but I LOVE VF!)!

My name is Demetrius, I'm from Chicago, IL in the US of A.

13. Donner

Donner Member

No game besides VF has consistly kept our attention. We still play VF5 every week and we would love to be playing R as well.

I can think of at least 10 copies that would sell to my buddies alone.

Zach Lewis
    Seattle, WA

14. ShogunTiger

ShogunTiger New Member

Hello SEGA,

I'm a big fan of the Virtua Fighter series and I remember playing VF1 for the 1st time in the arcades with my bro. Sure I wasn't great at it, but I loved playing it. I remember when VF4 came out and that was an awesome game for the ps2. And now ever since I got a PS3, my 1st games were Dynasty Warriors 6 Virtua Fighter 5. I got really addicted to the game playing quest trying to get all the costumes. I love how this series is like no other because it's pretty much the only fighting game that is close to realistic fighting. By far, Virtua Fighter 5 is my favorite 3-D fighting game of all time!!

Ever since I heard about VF5R, I was excited to hear that the game got updated with loads of new features. It truly has grown to something big in my opinion. I've watched a lot of videos of VF5R matches on YouTube and have been fascinated by the new change done to it. I've been longing for this to be released on consoles ever since because I would love to play this. So please, make this happen SEGA, let a new Virtua Fighter game be released outside of Japan for us players around the world to enjoy and play. I hope you won't disappoint.

-Chris A.
    ~Texas, USA

15. Ninja1011

Ninja1011 New Member

I hope all turns out well ^___^:
    I was first introduced to Virtua Fighter through the PlayStation 2. I never in my life enjoyed 3D fighters much. But the fluid game play and depth of virtua fighter had me hooked. Then I got to play Virtua Fighter 5 for the PlayStation 3. I was blown away. I was sad that I didn't have a PlayStation 3 but i was then filled with joy as i heard that a better version of the game would be released on Xbox 360. So I waited for the great game to be released. I have played so many games online and met up with so many different people at tournaments all because I wanted to share the enjoyment of playing virtua fighter 5. But then my happiness ended due to my brother(the owner of the xbox360) moved out with his system. At the time I had already bought a PlayStation 3. So I was not exactly in the financial situation for buying another xbox360. So instead I bought the PlayStation 3 version of the game, just so I can play it at some extent. The local arcade near me does not even have virtua fighter in it. Just the usual tekken 6 and blazblue.
    Then I find out that there are even newer and better versions of an already great game. But to think that I wouldn't be able to play it at all unless I visit japan, makes me feel sad. I would love to play the latest version especially since I have regressed to one of the earlier versions. But if the latest version would be released on console, I would just be overjoyed. I would even purchase the latest version of Virtua Fighter 5 if it wasnt released in my region. Just so I can experience the latest version of the greatest game I have played in a long time.

Chet Royer
    New York, USA

16. HyperDragoonSV

HyperDragoonSV New Member

Dear Sega,

Virtua Fighter 4 was the first game to introduced me to the fighting game genre. Virtua Fighter 4 was a deep and fluid fighting game. When Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution was released for the PS2, I loved the Virtua Fighter series even more. My first PS3 game was Virtua Fighter 5. I love the customizations for every fighter in VF4, VF4:EVO and VF5. I was disappointed that it didn't have an online mode, it was still a blast to play with my friends and my brothers. When the Xbox 360 version of
    Virtua Fighter 5 had an online mode, it was a day 1 purchase for me. The Online mode was very good, most of my matches had little to no lag. Virtua Fighter 5 was the first fighting game to introduce me to a fighting stick and now I'm very good with a fight stick today. I hope you guys announce and release the new version of Virtua Fighter 5 which is Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown for the Xbox 360 and for the PS3 with an very good online mode. Also, can you add the the pre-match scenes for the console version because I like those scenes in every replay before the match.

From,
    L.Scott
    Bronx, New York

17. mogwaimon

mogwaimon New Member

I'm here from SRK.com, I posted in the thread there but not sure if my name made it over here. Just in case, here goes:

Hey, Sega, I've been a long time fan of your games from the Genesis days all the way up to the death of the Dreamcast and then some. I begged my dad for a Sega Saturn when I was a kid and one of the games he got for me with it was Virtua Fighter, the very first one. It was a pretty cool fighting game, my best friend and I played it every so often. We were kids, didn't know better, so we just had fun trying to knock Kagemaru's mask or Pai's hat off, haha.

After my Sega Saturn got busted, Virtua Fighter left my eyes for a while. VF2, VF Kids, Fighters Megamix, VF3...all of those passed me by. Until one day I was hanging out with the kids upstairs from my dad, and they had a Playstation 2. They were playing an awesome looking fighting game, so having cultivated a fondness for fighting games from VF, SF2, and all the fighting games on the Dreamcast, I asked them the name of the game. They replied 'Virtua Fighter 4', so I sat down and started playing. They whooped me at first, but soon enough I was beating them. I left my dad's house, regretting not having a Playstation 2 at the time.

A year or so later, I have a PS2, and I'm at the mall, looking for used games. What should catch my eye but Virtua Fighter 4 Evo. It was 3 bucks and that's all I had at the time, and I loved VF so buying it was a no-brainer. I took it home and proceeded to play through Quest mode for a few days straight...

Fast forward a bit again. Now I have an Xbox 360. Much to my chagrin, Virtua Fighter 5 has been announced for PS3. At the time, I was saddened because I wanted VF5 so bad. The graphics looked so sick compared to the blocks and polygons of the original Virtua Fighter, and hey, they had a new luchador character. Then it was announced for the 360 and I got giddy. It took me a long time to get enough money to buy the game (I'm a bit of a deadbeat) but I got it and even with no one to play it with, no Xbox Live, and what, 2 years later I still pop it in to play it on occasion, which is pretty good for a fighting game if you don't have good competition.

Now, Sega, Virtua Fighter has been with me my entire life. It's like the fucking Harry Potter books, for chrissakes. I have been waiting for a long long loooong time for Virtua Fighter 5 R to come out to consoles, with all the cool costumes and characters As an American I can't even pop down to an arcade to play the game away from home, as no arcade is even allowed to buy it around here.

I know Virtua Fighter 5 R may not make it to consoles now, with Final Showdown being announced and all...but Final Showdown can still make it, and I know you would make me and many other western Virtua Fighter fans happy if you were to give us a home port to play the game on. It doesn't even have to have online, quest mode, or any nice extras like that, although I'd like that very much. It just has to be the awesome fighting game we've been wanting to play ever since R came out last year. Please don't let us go without VF5FS, Sega.

-Paul Thomas
    Orlando, FL, U.S.A

18. wdew

wdew New Member

I've grown up playing VF. I mashed around with VF2 as a kid, and now that I'm old enough to understand what's going on, VF5 matches with friends have made up some of the best times I've had with video games.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to purchase a home port of Final Showdown.

- David W., Ohio

19. Kazego

Kazego Active Member

VF1 arcade was my first exposure to 3D fighters, despite with all the good looking 2D fighters around like Street Fighter I was amazed of its graphics and gameplay that time.

I wasn't aware of the existence of VF2 until video game magazines started showing previews/reviews and even move lists which got me real hyped up! For some reason the game never came to my local arcade but I settled by playing the PC version.

Later on I get to play VF3 up to VF5(though I missed VF Kids, Fighters Megamix etc. due to lack of Saturn consoles/games selling here) seeing and loving every significant improvement in every sequel but there's one thing that really bothered me ever since VF1 here: Everybody here loves Tekken.

I have nothing against Tekken as I too played and enjoyed the games from Tekken 2 up to Tekken6BR, its just that I felt that hardly anyone here in the Philippines seem to play the game at all! One time I went to the arcades to see VF4 Final Tuned very unoccupied in one side and the other side a bunch of people crowding around the Tekken 5DR machine and another is when I visited to a friend's house just to see VF4 collecting dust while they are happily playing Tekken 4. As for VF5? not everyone here owns a xbox360/ps3 but they go to xbox360/ps3 rental places just to play Tekken5:DR/Tekken 6.

While it saddens me to see this but I when I heard of VF5R and watched all the awesome custom characters and gameplay not to mention bringing back some old VF BFM I was blown away! Even my friends who are Tekken players got very interested; they even proceed to try out VF5 and they loved the game!

With the recent announcement of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown we felt that our "2-year patience from VF5R" for a possible console port is going to pay off. I strongly felt, with the right presentation, distribution, features and stuff can quench our thirst of experience the latest & best version of the series and possibly help ignite the people's interests in trying out this amazing fighting game! Please don't let us down SEGA!

- Ryan, G.
    Philippines

20. TheKill

TheKill New Member

Well I'm new to vf I dun play vf as long as most of the peeps here but even so it will encourage me and even encourages more pple to pick up vf5 if vf5r is released on console.. In business talks I think sales of the game will definitely be a hit... Hope my post helps. It will save and increase the community for vf 5

Jackson quek
    singpore