1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Kara Cancelling

Discussion in 'General' started by ice-9, Feb 9, 2001.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey all, I learned something new about 3S while browsing SRK--Kara cancelling (yeah yeah I know I'm behind the curve). I followed SRK's article's advice with Akuma and was able to do the f MP -> throw in a few tries, and it was pretty easy to do consistently. When I tried it with Urien, however, I was a lot less successful. A lot less successful.

My question is are there different windows for different characters? For different moves that are being kara-cancelled? I know the window for Akuma is most definitely less than 10 frames...in fact I would put the range at maybe 5 frames. But with Urien it almost seems like no more than 2 frames (I kara cancel his f MP). Can anyone reconfirm my theory?

ice-9

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

My experience is that there are different windows for different characters. It usually depends on what animation you go with (the move that does the Kara).

For example, try it with Chun Li. It's kind of annoying really, Chun Li is annoying as hell, has all this priority, she can win with certain BS tactics, and then if you look at her Kara-cancel, she has HUGE RANGE! It's with MK (forward in US terms). I remember that it was EXCEPTIONALLY easy to do with her. It seems like the greater the range, the easier... maybe it has to do with "which frames are cancellable" as it seems that with characters that hardly have range (like Ken) it's harder to do than with those that have huge range. Which makes it seem more and more like a glitch if for some reason you ever thought it was "normal."

-Chanchai

P.S. I would hate a kara-cancelling Urien. That guy is already such a bastard. I like watching good players use him, actually. It is funny though, I call him the "Mortal Kombat character in Street Fighter," he reminds me a lot of Jax in MK2 and 3. Will repeatedly get you in floats in the most annoying fashion, all of his supers have some evil aspects to them, he's just a menacing character and throwing as it is, is quite useful. Especially with Aegis reflector.

3. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Ok ok - all this 3S talk - makes me want to play this game! Gotta try it.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

you have a better chance of enjoying yourself than
    most who are familiar with the capcom system. My
    biggest complaint about the 3rd strike is just the
    animation. I don't much care for it.

GE

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

GE
    Is it animated badly, or over animated?
    I'm interested in knowing why you don't care fot it.

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Ride the Lighting Legacy'

6. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

This is one of those things where I'm ill-prepared
    to back anything up. Something strikes me as odd
    or incomplete with the character animations. The
    characters look ragged somehow and their animations
    follow suit. to me.

When I get a chance to see it again I'll give a
    better explanation as this one is incredibly weak.

I'm sure I could get used to it. I didn't care for
    the VF3 models (thought they looked like well made
    puppets) when I first saw the game.

GE

7. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

ice,

I can't kara-throw consistently with Urien. Despite the table on SRK.com, where he is listed as having a kara-throw range of 26 with his 2 forward attacks (f+MP, f+MK), I simply can't get them to work properly, even after extensive practice.

My favourite kara-throw characters are Alex (also my favourite character overall) and Chun-Li.

Chun can incorporate kara-throwing into her offense effortlessly, at least how I play with her, which is f+MK, poking a lot so I can get a low forward-kick special, or low fierce-EX spinning bird kick. After a bit of conditioning, it becomes very easy to kara-throw someone who is expecting a low quick move-link into something, yet who isn't inexperienced enough to take a normal walk-in throw. The same thing happens with her df+HK crossup setup. besides, her mk kara-throw is extremely easy and gives incredible range.

I still can't kara-cancel into special throws all that well, which would really improve my game with Alex. however, his normal kara-cancel (from f+HP) is good enough, although harder to do than Chun's, to my perception - I find best to play him as a pressure character, with lots of mk-slash -> power bomb instead of the common low-poke into stomp/running slash kind that is so common.

I really like 3S. it's a damn shame that the arcade I used to frequent sold their board (which by the way was the only one in the city) to buy more MVS crap... argh. I was the one who hassled the previous operator to purchase the board when it came out, and it came very cheap, too - it was a japanese build. I suppose numerous SNK lemmings yield more profit than the hardcore following of about 4 that regularly played 3S, but it's still a damn shame.

8. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

The Midwest seems to be a great place for Third Strike as we have at up to 15 kids on any given Friday or Saturday night playing the game on two machines until I am closing time and only a few people who play MVC2

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

9. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

I'd love to start playing it seriously myself but importing takes quite a while for me and the local (pal) release won't work on VGA box and it's slow as hell,grr.

10. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

It seems like the Midwest and Texas has probably the strongest following (at least net-based) in Third Strike. New York might even be in there too. California just doesn't like the game, or so it seems. Seattle doesn't care about the game much. Portland has a scene, but it's rather small.

Of course these are generalizations and ignore the small private followings as well as those that don't access the internet much or participate in communities.