1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Kingo and Krye Interview

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Jul 8, 2013.

By akai on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Kingo (Kim Heng Ung) from France and Krye (Wouter Strankinga) from Netherlands are currently two of the strongest VF players in Europe. In the past year, both of them have done very well in online and offline events. From my experiences with the two, both Krye and Kingo have a strong competitive spirit and desire to meet fellow VF enthusiasts. In December 2012, I interviewed both players about their VF experiences with the goal to help promote the World Games at Cannes event in March 2013. Unfortunately, I did not meet that goal. I still wanted to post that interview which I now hope may help promote the Sega Cup Europe event in August 2013. What you have here is two sets of interviews. The “Half a Year Ago…” Interview is from December 2012 and the follow-up interview “…Present Day” is from June 2013.

slide.jpg
    Kingo (left) and Krye (right). Modified image taken from Beat-Tribe Paris Thread

Half a Year Ago…
    (December 2012)
    BEGINNINGS
    Akai (AK): Thanks to both of you for doing this. To get things started…can you give a small introduction of yourself for people that are not familiar with you?
    Krye (KR): Well, I'm Wouter, aka Krye. I guess I'll start off with me starting VF in 2007. I was originally a Dead or Alive (DOA) player, participating in two World Cyber Game (WCG) events.

AK: Oh, I did not know you played DOA before VF.
    KR: Yeah, I've played DOA for 3 or 4 years. I started out with DOA2 Ultimate on the original Xbox. To be honest, I preferred that version over DOA4. What I liked about that game was the possibility to really be creative with the long move sets and stuff, but as I kept playing, I quickly got fed up with the system. I got frustrated, because I really liked fighting games, but I wanted something more out of it, you know. There was no other fighting game available on the 360 and then VF5 gets announced.
    I was happy, thrilled to be able to play the fighting game with the reputation of being extremely deep and complex. It's released and I start playing with Goh as my main. After two weeks, I was left disappointed. To me, the game felt so awkward, because it was so similar to DOA, but then it was so different. Coming from another fighting game, I had certain expectations of what should happen when you score a hit. When that did not happened and what does happens was not awesome, it kind of sucks.
    Kingo (KI): Small introduction...
    KR: Haha, sorry I'm getting carried away…anyways…
    AK: Were you left disappointed with VF5 the game or the character you chose—Goh?
    KR: Both. I actually quit at that point. Then, after playing in the Euro Cyber games, I was done with DOA. I didn't want to play it and I decided to give VF one last shot. I attended my first VF meeting and was told to play Lau, because he was easier. I did and after that, everything just went on its own. I went to WCG in 2008 and got massacred. Then the Dutch crew and I went to Stockholm in 2009 to play the Swedes…and I got massacred again. Then we organized a meeting in Amsterdam…I didn't get massacred there! And now we're here today and I won the 360 VF Circuit in Europe.

AK: Okay, your turn Kingo! You can have the same amount of time as Krye.
    KR: Haha, sorry! Anyways it’s your turn, Kingo.
    KI: I'll be short! My name is Kim Heng, I started fighting games with Tekken 3, playing casually with my brother. Then I got internet and Tekken 4. I found out that there are players who like to play with others too, rather than the CPU or with family and friends. That's how I became…a “hardcore gamer”? Or is it just a “gamer”?
    AK: Hardcore - would mean being serious, learning the ins and outs of a game to be very competitive.
    KI: Well, I would say gamer, someone who plays while understanding the frames, the set ups, the system, etc
    KR: That's hardcore.
    KI: …so yeah, I came from a Tekken background, playing in Tekken game sessions and tournaments in different cities of France (mostly in Paris) I was quickly bored by Tekken 4 and that's how I look for another fighting game to play—VF4. I heard many things about the VF franchise at that time (refers to Krye introduction). So I gave it a try and actually like the animation. I didn't know much about the system and only played more seriously with VF4 Evolution (I became better at VF4 Evo when nobody was playing it anymore). I heard that there were actual French VF players in Paris and since most major Tekken tournaments occurred there…two kills with one shot. And now, with VF5 online, I almost completely left the Tekken game scene. I was happier being able to play more people, even if it's online.

AK: So this is before you joined VFDC correct? I am looking at the dates that both of you joined the site—2006 for Kingo and 2007 for Krye.
    KI: I actually registered on VFDC in 2003, under my first account "kimheng." I lost my login and password, so I created the Kingo account. VFDC was a huge part of my VF learning.
    I think the moment I begun to study the game is when I found out about the website.
    AK: I remember a kimheng...I think! You have been here almost as long as me.
    KI: Yeah, I just search for that name in the search box, and my first posts are still there lol…I was asking for advices from my videos of matches between me and my brother...good times!

KR: Something fun that I like to add here, is that somewhere in 2008, Fulan came to one of our meetings. He was always there back then, and he was like, "Yeah, I played this sick Aoi player online, I can't even touch him. His tag is kingofvf4, you guys should play him." Of course, I sought him out and got my ass kicked.
    AK: Fulan is from Sweden right?
    KR: Netherlands.
    AK: Ah, same place as you.
    KI: I remember becoming only good at the end of the vanilla days (Editor’s Note: Vanilla is a term to refer to the original VF5 game).
    KR: Yes, so imagine how crappy I was back then.
    KI: I don't remember how we met online Krye lol.
    KR: I guess it's been a couple of years, haha. What I do know, though is that I'd never have gotten as strong as I am now if Kingo wasn't there…maybe that's a bit too sentimental.
    KI: looooool, Oh yeah? I did not knew I was one of the reason you gott better at VF, Krye. Too cute.
    KR: I couldn't let a spammy Aoi player be the best online, now could I? >=D
    haha (just kidding)
    KI: Damn you.

RIVALRY AND COMMUNITY
    AK: Do you consider each other as rivals?
    KI: Sort of, I remember Krye being one of the few in Europe that I can't get several wins in a row online haha.
    KR: Kingo was the only European online player in vanilla that I couldn't get a 10-win streak against. The closest I've gotten was a 9-win streak.
    KI: I should have said the same for you too, Krye.
    KR: I guess he's kind of my rival. But in Final Showdown, I don't consider myself to be strong enough to be confident to beat anyone consistently.
    KI: And in two weeks, we are finally going to play offline...big day!
    KR: Now you're getting too sentimental.

AK: I assume you guys are talking about Beat Tribe Cup Paris in a couple weeks. So is it confirmed both of you will be participating?
    KR: Yes. I have to arrange something with my work still, but I don't foresee any problems.
    KI: I already bought my tickets for that Beat Tribe. I wasn't planning to until I heard my dear Krye will be there. So I changed my mind.
    AK: Cool.
    KR: Oh boy.

AK: The World Games at Cannes (WGC) is an event that many players from other countries are planning to attend. Are there any players in particular that you look forward to playing or meeting with?
    KI: I just want to play all the online guys that I have played for ages with during the vanilla days.
    KR: Well, first of all, anyone that's willing to travel for VF is awesome, so I want to meet all of those people. But I guess the ones that stand out are the guys I've met at the Amsterdam meeting. I think the only ones still playing are Marly (Marlyjay) and Mister. Kingo and of course any and all Japanese players that will be there.
    AK: So for Krye, he has met some of these people in the past. For Kingo this would most likely be the first meeting with fellow VFDC members? I think you mentioned meeting Chibitox in the past?
    KI: Yes Akai! It will by my first time with foreign VF players. I played Chibitox from the VF4 Evo era.

AK: So do either of you have an active offline scene for Virtua Fighter, presently or in the past?
    KR: We had a very nice scene here back in 2008-2009. We had VF weekends every couple of months. That was a lot of fun. Since R had been out for a while in Japan, but there was no announcement things just kind of died out after the Amsterdam event. Things seemed great at the start of FS, we had a lot of people the first couple of meets. There was no activity during the summer and afterwards things never picked up again.
    KI: I arrived at the VF scene at the end of VF4 Evo and you know what we say about the VF scene: few players, but it seems like it's going to change with FS.

ONLINE AND VF PREFERENCES
    AK: Yeah, problem with VF outside of Japan is few players. So for both of you, online is your main venue to play others in VF?
    KR: Unfortunately, yes. Online frustrates the hell out of me. Playing offline against strong players makes sure you stop playing on autopilot. So you have to start hit-checking and taking defensive actions on reaction (ETEG after MC p in vanilla for example). With online, if you do this, all of a sudden your opponent can interrupt you when he shouldn't. It also gets harder to deal with setups. It becomes a different game.
    KI: Yes. If there weren't online mode for the Xbox 360, I think I would have given up VF because of the lack of players. While playing online, I mostly rely on anticipation. It compensates for the reaction issues due to latency. While playing for the first time FS offline against Erdraug, I realized that I was too busy reacting accordingly to stuffs and forgot to anticipate opponent’s action like I normally do online. It was so weird when I noticed it.

AK: So do you think this will affect you guys when playing in the upcoming offline events? Will you take some time off to stop playing online and practice for the offline matches?
    KI: For me, I'm gonna need another approach. So yeah I will stop playing online, spend more time in dojo or single player mode, and try to play Erdraug more often.
    KR: I try to play online like I would offline and I feel my biggest weakness is that I still feel I lack experience with FS.
    KI: Me too, Krye. I think that's what makes us good online.
    KR: I still get hit by way too much random stuff. I think I'm stronger offline than I am online, but I'm not that strong in FS yet.
    KI: After all, we have still so much new things to learn in FS, that's a new game after all.
    KR: Yup.

AK: So this question goes to Krye, first. I remember you mentioned that you prefer the original VF5 compared to Final Showdown. Do you still have that opinion, and can you tell us what those preferences are?
    KR: Hmm, yes I did. I have to be honest and say that I was actually a bit disappointed with FS about two months after it was released. It seemed a lot more shallow than Vanilla. The fact that you could only escape one throw and that you could lazy throw escape made the flow of matches a lot different. The higher damage on combos made the matches change momentum a lot faster too. Now, FS has kind of grown on me, using evade cancels to make your defense a bit more varied and make things a lot more interesting. Also, I found out a lot of Lau-specific things that I really enjoy using, so that's also a plus. I have to say I still prefer Vanilla though. That game was really subtle! Generally, your choices weren't as black and white as they can be in FS and with defense working as it did, the matches just became so intense. It was more a battle of gaining momentum, than it was to just hit your big launcher as fast as possible. Not saying FS is like that, but it's more in that direction. Vanilla also seemed to be a bit more “free.” You could be more creative in your approach. In FS, things seem to be set in stone a bit more. Certain moves and setups are just so much stronger than others. In vanilla you could find a use for pretty much any move. In FS, I suppose you could, too, but it's often useless.

AK: Understandable, and Kingo, your opinion on Final Showdown. Which games in the VF series do you like the best so far?
    KI: I think I enjoy FS as much as Vanilla. Actually, I have no preference. I feel like FS is more "fun," but get carry away with some stuff.
    AK: …and compared to VF4 Evo?
    KI: I prefer VF5 and VF5FS. They offer more options. I like the CD (crouch dash) fuzzy, the evade cancel, the clash throw, the side turn system etc.

AK: Do you have any goals for this year related to Virtua Fighter?
    KI: Well, I already plan to attend the first 2 VF French meetings in the following months. I hope I will not play too bad so that everybody will think "look, he's good online, but in fact, he sucks offline!"
    KR: I guess getting that Star Player title would be nice and meeting a lot of new VF players in Paris and Cannes. Online is nice and dandy, but offline is where it's at. If you can't play offline, there really is no point other than just having fun.
    KI: Too bad that Star Player title will stay in France...
    KR: Hahaha, I hope so for your sake.

AK: For the sake of France! Any last comment you want to make for the VF Community?
    KR: Just that every European and maybe US VF player should come to Cannes.
    KI: It's nice to see VF5FS events with the support of Sega outside Japan.
    KR: That, too. Never would have thought that Sega would have Star Players outside of Japan.
    KI: Oh come on with that Star Player title lol; Although, I would like to see Sega giving that title for US and others countries too.
    KR: Yes and then sponsoring us to play a tournament.
    KI: Would be fun! But it would mean nothing compared to real Japan Star Players lol.
    KR: True.

…PRESENT DAY
    (June 2013)
    AK: Since the last interview (half a year ago), both of you have fought against each other twice in an offline tournament setting. In BT Cup Paris, Krye finished 1st and Kingo finished 2nd. In World Games Cup at Cannes, Kingo finished 2nd and Krye finished 3rd (Itabashi Zangief finished 1st). Did the offline events meet your expectations?
    KR: Hmm, well considering BT Cup Paris turned out to be a bit of a fraud event, I'd say that was kind of disappointing. Then again, I did become the French Star Player.
    AK: Fraud event?
    KR: Yes, from what I heard, the organizer basically made up he had contacts with Sega and BT Cup. Also, the event itself was freezing cold, so that was kind of difficult to play with your winter coat on. It is not ideal.
    KI: I'm happy with my offline results.
    KR: Cannes was awesome.
    KI: Yeah, Cannes was better for several points: 1) more fun; 2) more challenging; and 3) less cold environment lol.

AK: Can people expect both of you at Sega Cup Europe?
    KR: I'll be there. Most likely will be my last VF tourney.
    KI: I'm probably not.
    KR: Oh you're not going to be there? You don't like money?
    KI: Vacation times for me.
    KR: Just book an extra flight and pick up your free money!
    KI:You should thank me, more chance of you to get more money if I'm not there. But seriously, it would be hard for me to be at Sega Cup at that time.
    KR: I don't care, I wanna play you offline before I quit!
    AK: Ah too bad, Kingo. Krye, your last VF tourney?
    KR: Yes, I'm thinking of quitting.
    KI: You're saying it now, but after all the fun and excitement you are going to have at Sega Cup, you will not be quitting.
    KR: I dunno Kingo…

AK: I guess I can jump to this question since this might tie into Krye’s quitting or maybe is it just related to time commitment. Have both of your guys' opinions changed about Final Showdown now that you have the game for one year? In the past interview, Krye preferred the original VF5 over Final Showdown and Kingo like the VF5 series more than the VF4 series.
    KR: I still prefer VF5. That's part of the reason. I don't like the direction FS went with. The way a bad choice influences the game is just annoying to me. Also, I don't like the balance. Some characters have silly good tools and other characters just lack them. Plus most characters are just dull to me, compared to the way they were in VF5.
    KI: My opinion has not change.
    AK: Ok, everyone is set with their past opinions.
    KR: It's still fun, but not fun enough anymore.
    KI: I agree with Krye.
    AK: Understandable.
    KR: Best example is Brad. I think most people that played both versions would understand right away when I mention him. The way his move set has been reduced, while making him a lot easier to play, has taken so much of his flavor out of the game. I'll just leave it at that.

AK: Now that Final Showdown have been out for a whole year and getting to play against more people, who do you expect to place in the top spots at Sega Cup Europe? Who do you think will give you guys (likely only Krye) the most trouble?
    KR: Pff, that's hard. Well, if there are Japanese players there, then them, of course. Sticking to just the European players…based on what I've seen there is Jide and Marly from the UK. I played Pana online a couple of days ago, he seemed strong…and possibly Chibitox from France. Other than that I feel comfortable about my chances. I'm not saying the rest is weak, I really like the way most players are developing. But I'm still stronger at this moment
    KI: I am curious about Combolammas and Manjimaru, I forget where they come from.
    KR and AK: Finland
    KR: To be honest. I'm also pretty confident about beating the aforementioned.
    AK: Kingo, you share Krye's opinion?
    KI: Yes!
    KR: Not trying to be arrogant but I'm going there to win.
    KI: Then again, you should thank me that I will not be there.
    KR: Hmmm.
    KI: Pana looks promising, a new player and he's very good already.

AK: I think that is the personality or mentality of most strong players...and my last question: What is your view of the current state of the VF community in Europe?
    KI: I may be wrong, but VF5FS EU players look more active than before. I mean the scene look more active, compared to the past for VF4 or VF5. More players too, probably thanks to the online feature
    AK: Good to hear and it definitely helped with events such as WGC and the upcoming Sega Cup Europe.
    KR: The scenes are very fragmented though.
    AK: Similar to the United States?
    KR: Hmm, more so, since Europe isn't as hub-based as the US. More players in smaller places I think.
    KI: Krye, we are talking about offline, right?
    KR: I dunno, just talking about both.
    KI: Well, that is always because VF series is not popular.

AK: Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. Do either of you have anything else you want to add or comment?
    KR: Someone should start a petition to get Kingo to Sega Cup Europe!
    KI: I hope VF scene will not die after Sega Cup and that there will be another Cannes event in 2014.

ZeroEx, Manjimaru, Chanchai and 17 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Jul 8, 2013.

1. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      Looking forward to playing against Krye again. It will be much harder for you this time Wouter, i assure you. We're going to turn you into a VF addict all over again!

I want to play Kingo offline again too. Guess i'll have to wait.
      Ellis, Chanchai and Krye like this.
    2. Jide
      Jide
      Awesome interview. I'm upset Kingo isn't going....
      Maybe we can travel to France sometime again!
    3. cobratron
      cobratron
      Its cool that they are from France and Netherlands respectively. Those are my 2 stops after I leave London. I'm gonna try to bring my PS3 (xbox too big including power brick) so i can at least play in my hotel room if I'm not able to meet up with you guys for casuals before the tourny.
    4. Pai~Chun
      Pai~Chun
      Fantastic front page article, many thanks for posting and getting it all together. I had no idea Kingo went back to Tekken 4 era, or Kyre came out of the DOA scene, wow. The interplay between them both there is hilarious! I was looking forward to seeing a good Aoi again at SCE so shame he can't make it, and good Lau players, well, that seems rare these days, so don't quit Krye man!
      I agree that some elements of the game do feel unbalanced (and say this as a pretty average player), but the 3 button magic is still there, and many of the other fighting games out there now just have these issues magnified, so...

I feel lucky to have played both of them online (Kingo a lot more than Krye, and maybe got 1 lucky win in 5 years!). If you're based in Europe on Xbox, or even have a really good connection from the east side of the States, you may well still get to bump into them one night, as they're around most weeks. But yeah, they both are very, very strong players and a clear example of practice and study seriously paying off, good job guys :ninja: :)
      Sozos likes this.
    5. Craigbot
      Craigbot
      Great interview, Akai. I've played with Kingo and he's giving me some good advice about using Aoi, so I'm glad I got to meet such a great Aoi player :). I haven't met Kyre online, but maybe someday I'll get to play him.
      InnerSanctum Games and Ellis like this.
    6. 40i4
      40i4
      Nice part to read. I play online both of them and like it much. I think if Krye complains about vf5fs then You guys should allow him to quit. It'd be a lost, but otherway Krye will be martyr.
      I don't want anyone to be martyr :p
    7. nou
      nou
      What's funny is that as much as I've defended FS in the last several months, I felt that same way back in Sept. 2012 during End of Seattle, during casuals the day before. Final Showdown felt less meaty and just missing something.

However once I started playing more and had a better understanding of FS, and talking with old-schoolers like Chanchai, the more I could go back to older VF (specifically VF4:EVO and VF5 in this case) and realize I was doing it wrong in this game. That's when I realized FS was still VF, but I could see why people might prefer the VF4 and 5s for certain mechanics and what not, for the same reason people like/prefer FS more than those said titles.

The VF series has stayed the same formula throught the years, with different ways to it's approach to certain mechanics, but overall this is still the best fighting game series out there despite the lack of popularity in the West/outside of Japan (Sega release schedules being the main culprit).

Virtua Fighter always the best!
      EvenPit, Sozos and Pai~Chun like this.
    8. ZeroEx
      ZeroEx
      Aye.

Good interview, nice to see some incite into the European players point of view on the game for a change.
    9. SNAKE BOSS
      SNAKE BOSS
      I did not know kingo was Asian, I mean it in a good way. Also I defeated kingo last time we played and also I mean that in a good way. Lol.
      Sozos likes this.