1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Knockout Trial explanation?

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Devdan, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    I'm in Tokyo for a little while for school, and despite VF5's apparent lack of popularity (TTT2 is everywhere; VF5 is in maybe half the arcades I've been to) I still want to play it. I don't read enough Japanese to really grasp what's going on in Knockout Trial though. I beat Moon Area's Brad and unlocked two more areas, so I get that each area has a boss (right?), but what do the orbs, silver orbs, chunks of...blue stone do?

I have to use one of those VF5 terminals to do any customizing, right? I don't want to waste money on one if I don't have enough of whatever the in-game currency is. I assume I can at least select outfit C, seeing as how I'm 1st Dan now.

Sorry if this info is already compiled somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

2. Tiripsem

Tiripsem Well-Known Member

By what little knowledge I hold, I think the orbs are your currency. You gather them through playing matches and use them at the terminal. There you can purchase customizations and dress you character how you see fit. Hope this helps!

3. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    Got to a customization console thing today. Stuff is expensive. I'd better get more orbs when I unlock higher level areas. Also, I still don't know what the chunks do...

4. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    Now there's suddenly a gauge with 4 different places (?) listed, with different percentages out of 100. The one I'm in seems to be winning. Is some kind of event going on? I wish I spoke this language.

5. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Basically throughout Japan, you are randomly put in the 4 groups. Whichever group does the best get discounts or more money (I think) that you can use for customization and what else.

6. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    That's more or less what I expected. Pretty cool I guess.

I wish there were more variety in the AIs you fight, because I'm seldom fighting any real people.

7. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    The arcade I had been going to replaced their VF setups with GGXXAC+R and Under Night InBirth....anybody know of any arcades between Tamachi and Kamata with VF5, haha? I don't expect a response to that for a lot of reasons, but in the event that someone does know, keep in mind that a lot of arcades will probably do this same thing, so don't tell me a place has it and get my hopes up only to find it's been replaced...

8. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    Over a month since the last post in this forum. :(

Just out of curiosity, as someone who can't read much Japanese, is there any way to view your stats or anything on the website? It doesn't seem like there is, which is kinda weird, what with all the VF TV and twitter and other superfluous stuff.

9. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    Beat Dural in Knockout Trial yesterday. :) Does anybody know if I'm automically on a higher difficulty now, or if I have to hold start? I noticed some higher up players had an orange box that said 'Expert Mode' in the corner or 'Special Mode', but mine doesn't say anything new. If I hold start on the area select screen a box that says 'Normal Mode' pops up, but I would think normal would be the default?

If anybody knows, please answer, I speak very little Japanese and everbody who still plays is at least 10 years older than me, it's awkward.

10. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Devdan - I think since >90% of the people who visit VFDC are people not from Japan, there is likely very little help we can give you on arcade-specific modes.

11. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    Obviously I'm not expecting help, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. If there's a better place to do so, I don't know about it.

12. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Why are you there for school? If its to learn Japanese, a good start is to ask the players. You say you don't speak the language but now is a better time than any to start.

13. Player_1

Player_1 Well-Known Member

I'm in Tokyo after the twentieth of this month. If anyone has any tips on which arcades to visit where the most VF-action is at, welcome to let me know. I have a VF-card sitting in my wallet ready to gain some severe losses..(crying smiley)

14. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    Club Sega in Akihabara. Rather, the one that has 13 VF setups in the basement, as opposed to the two that have 0 VF setups, and the one that only has one or two. I don't know if it has a special name, but it's the one to the left of HEY and right across the street from the Adores that is nothing but crane games. They get super busy on the weekends, and I don't understand line etiquette, so it can be difficult to get a game sometimes.

Tokyo Leisure Land (basically behind said Club Sega, down the alley a little) also has 5 setups, and has tourneys sometimes, but I don't speak nearly enough Japanese to not be terrified by that. It's all teams anyway. Lately when I've gone there it's been fairly empty, but maybe I just pick bad times.

As far as I've seen, outside of Akiba there's basically nothing; though it's worth nothing that I've basically spent no time at all outside of Akiba / Shibuya / the Ikegami Line. Kaikan in Shibuya has 2.5 blast city setups that no one ever uses. One of the Club Segas there has two setups as well, but that place has nothing else going for it.

Also, since I was asking about it earlier, and it was unresolved (in this thread, but not elsewhere), you can change difficulty by holding start on the area select screen, and moving the joystick. The computer is a punk on higher difficulties, so I usually stick to hard.

15. CheekyChi

CheekyChi Well-Known Member

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    Hi

I was in Japan about a year or two ago and there was an arcade in Akihabara that had a row of VF5 FS machines.... maybe for about 20 players (sitting opposite each other so 10 machines?). The machines were hidden after a group of KoF/Street Fighter 2 machines. It was a while ago.

When I went, the aracades were pretty much empty, there were however a lot of people who played on their handhelds using the wifi areas. I played the mode you're talking about! I didn't get very far though as I was experimenting with Jean and loved the random things that I did haha