1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

KOF99: Evolution VS SF3: Third Strike

Discussion in 'General' started by Mirkan, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

I don't usually ask such basic questions but I'd really like to know your opinions on this. I myself have never played KoF99 Evolution, so you be the judge in my place.

Which game is deeper of the two?

2. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

SF3: THird Strike....though I have only devoted a moderate amount of time, I think SF3 is more balanced and definatly has a deeper fighting system....

3. Shouji

Shouji Member

..Third Strike.
    Parrying. Kara Canceling. Super Cancels.. Definately more deeper than KoF. Though '99 does have its own unique elements.

..Metsu!

4. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

KOF has all of the above with the exception of universal parrying. KOF has always had dodging (94-95,98), then from 96 Dodge rolling, Guard Crush, Counters and a more in-depth Super move (DM, SDM) system. The King Of Fighters series has always been more in-depth than Street Fighter with the exception of the SF3 series.

People who argue that it only uses four buttons fail to realise that they were all used thoroughly as VF is now (AB= dodge, CD= Knockdown attack, ABC= Max out or Charge up). I say get both though, I consider 98 the best in the series as it's a Dream Match version and has old and new characters from the series with both Extra (old) and Advanced (new) systems. I hate the introduction of Strikers, Armour and Counter modes in 99, bad move.

5. SPINMASTER X

SPINMASTER X Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SMX-001
    Well the KOF series is the deeper one and the Street Fighter 3 series is more technical. People tend to get "depth" and "techincality" mixed up. Its almost like the diff between Tekken and VF.

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

A better comparison, imo, would be Garou: Mark of the Wolves vs. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. Many positives and negatives on both sides of the fence.

Sorry I can't comment on KoF99:Evo, I'm not very knowledgeable in it, but it has some interesting mechanics in it.

Many know I really love Third Strike.

-Chanchai

7. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

What does Garou have over anything? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    I thought that spinoff wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

I'm not an 'authority' on either but I say 3S. There is more to the battle. Guard crushing, armor mode, counter mode, other gimmicks...I don't really rate their contribution to depth. And strikers are limited. As far as 99 is concerned striking is too weak anyway.