1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Kumite and Aoi... Thoughts and regrets

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by yuckysocks, Jun 10, 2002.

1. yuckysocks

yuckysocks Member

Forgive me everyone, for I have done the terrible. My friend and I were anxious to proceed beyond 1st Dan, and were having problems until we hit upon a brilliant idea (that I'm sure has been used many times before...) We found that with a mixture of carefully timed u, (K+G) or YY into p,p,p,k for ROs we could beat any character on either a closed or open arena. If we were fighting a particular AI which wouldn't do a lot of high/mid striking attacks into our YY, a db, (P+G) had about the same pushback range as the other ringout method. Anyways, using this and a variety of properly timed memory card-removals we've gotten outselves up to storm lord and are quickly advancing, but we feel sort of empty having used these techniques (I cringe calling them that..) To get to the point of this post, has anyone else advanced to high king or thereabouts with Aoi by NOT using an excessive amount of diving kicks or with an unusual amount of wins by ringouts?(ours is like 30% or so) Some invigorating Aoi chatter would be nice; she seems so neglected...

2. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

im in champion on aoi, and basically i didn't have much problems. practice and patience, thats what you really need, Aoi can reverse most attacks, she has a stance that parries quite a few attacks, and throws like king, continous and painful, also when an opponent is laying in the ground you can still throw them, she has a pretty good line of combos, try experimenting more, but really nothing is wrong with what your doing, after all u,k+g is still part of her command list.

3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Aoi's got some fantastic moves, and I learn new stuff every day. I'm like 8th or 8th dan w/ her on the PS2 (6th at the arcade).

I don't think this works against the CPU, but try a few of these against your friends.

PPP dK (cancel) f+P+K,P
    d+K+G (canceL) f+P+K,P <- Nice if they'r relatively far away
    PPP, d+P+K+G

4. death_raven

those are some pretty nice moves, i think with proper execution it will work against the CPU

5. ad91791

ad91791 Well-Known Member

I did something like that except i did it with lei fei. /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

6. yuckysocks

yuckysocks Member

Those are pretty neat, though I have some trouble with guard actually cancelling moves... This brings up an interesting point about Aoi regarding her versus the CPU or a human opponent. Would anyone agree with me if I said her guard cancels and reversal-heavy move list are meant more for playing versus humans (who will engage in pre-emptive blocking and be vulnerable to g-cancel combos and who will often use the same combos or attacks, the heights of which can make them easily reversible) as opposed to Kumite where guard canceling moves just gets you thrown and a high ranking lion or jacky can mix levels like... well, i have no clever analogy but i find the levels of their moves hard to predict and I generally don't attempt to reverse anything unless i'm up 2-0 and about to win the third. I don't know if i'm making assumptions about nothing, but it seems sort of plausible...

7. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

YOu hit the nail on the head. I've found that mind games for any character don't really work that well against the CPU, and that's half of Aoi's game. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

well...... i usually make computer do attacks to let me reverse. It's not really predicting anymore. It's more like AI bug.

9. CrYingCHoCoBo

CrYingCHoCoBo Well-Known Member

im a high king with aoi

ok, here's the deal, you can play some huge games with the computer and use it as ur b*tch, but only on some characters.

vanessa, reverse every single last one of her attacks, no matter what level she's at. after you attack her, if she retaliates, it'll most often be with a mid attack

lau - if ur brave and can afford the rounds try and see if you can guess if he'll go mid or high, usually the comp mixes it up pretty nicely, so you should stick to crap loads of parry's

lion - he's tricky, you can try to reverse low for his retaliations, usually if you low punch him, or keep low kickinghim, he'll retaliate with a low attack...other than that, you have to get in and throw him a couple of times, and you'll get the win, just mix up ur throws.

wolf, against a real wolf player this is d*mn hard, but since it's the cpu, you've got a choice, you can counter all of his attacks and throws with quick jab combos, or use the above technique to throw the majority of the match.

pai - this is a very hyper active cow...parry as much as you can, and throw her, as well as attacking/juggling...but don't get too predictable with the high attacks, or she'll start reversing

Lei-Fei - use ur quickest attacks when he's changing stances with his attacks, try not to let him get too offensive, by evading a lot, and parrying, get in a mid reversal cause he can be a tad predictable when when coming from koko shiki he always does a mid punch. from nehan shiki, he does the high kick, to koko shiki. A LOT

jeffrey - mid reversals or parries, or out speed him

jacky - parry as much as possible, but move quickly, try not to make any mistakes, get very defensive, and throw when he's open.

sarah - kill her asap, with parries, pokes, and throws.

kage - he's very good at mixups, i didn't have too much trouble with him, because i play him a lot, i dunno what to tell ya, you have to kinda know kage's moves...but still,t he computer is quite redundant, you should be able to win with parries, combo's, and throws

akira - reverse those elbows cause he abuses them a lot, then poke and throw. he should be ur easiest match

Aoi - should be ur hardest matches, other than high king jackies...no high attacks, stick with mids to throws, and try to do ur quickest moves. parry a lot.

10. ShunAoi

ShunAoi Member

wow that was some good advice....i dont understand how you think akira should be the easiest matches though? i have a lot of trouble with him when he's a higher level dan..those elbows are so fast how do you reverse them? nevermind he does that move that looks like its an elbow but goes low..and all those hard hitting combos that keep you bounching forever so he can keep shouldering you!!! i hate akira!!!

11. death_raven

akira isnt that hard to beat, with Aoi, try evading and counter attacking through his attacks more often, and if you have the opportunity grab him, personally if i hit him with a rising attack, i grab him, i use [4][1][2][3][6][P]+[G] [4][2][P]+[G] [8][2][P]+[G] it gives me the upper hand most of the time its risky though coz if it fails there a good chance that Akira will bombard you with his attacks.

12. CrYingCHoCoBo

akira is easy because he mostly does mid attacks, and wont stop even if you keep reversing them.[1][P]+[K]

another thing is to realize that the computer most often attacks after ur attack, or right when u take ur hand off [G], try it out.

the low punch he does is his only good low, but it's pretty slow, and he'll always do a rising shoulder launch after it. you just gotta pay attention to him, then it should be easy to see coming, keep moving, jabbing, quick in and out, and he wont be able to throw you, which is the basics of his game, counter/throw/reverse, akira prolly reverses the least out of everyone who can reverse. (minus auto reversals)

besides, the comp akira is much nicer than a human akira would be, it only does a few of his juggles, ...he likes using the throw where he rushes in back of you to bodycheck, then triple elbow, to double palm smash. you can guard the bodycheck with [2] or [8]+[G]

13. ShunAoi

ShunAoi Member

do you use the normal evade or evade from her Tenchi'in You stance? the normal one seems to cover no ground and i just get slammed cuz they track you..but the other one works rather nicely

14. death_raven

i'm gonna move alittle bit out of the topic here ok?

any of you fellow Aoi players notice that when you use the second player outfit part of her belt changes color ( the part that looks flower) i've noticed it changes when i have orbs (with the silver color scheme, not sure if other colors apply) it first started out as silver and white then after i got an orb it became silver and orange, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this thing? (can be seen during fighting poses).

15. CrYingCHoCoBo

you need to use the standard evade, if you keep getting hit, then you must be doing something wrong. evades wont work on spinning attacks but i doubt that's the problem. you should check with the trail training, to see if ur doing evades at the correct time.

as for the evade during her stance, i only use that as a cancellation of the stance, if i go into the stance thinking someone was about to attack, and they pause even for a second, i cancel with the evade, because just releasing the stance seems to take too much time, and leaves me at a disadvantage.

i will say this however, her 'evade attack' seems to be totally useless to me, i usually get hit trying to use this.

----raven, i haven't noticed that, but that is something i will definitely look for /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif

16. ShunAoi

ShunAoi Member

i love her evade attack but i find on some people if you do it off the bat it stops just short of them and you get whooped..but against people like jacky with big kicks you just step to the side and they cant do anythin with one leg off the ground..

17. CrYingCHoCoBo

maybe i just suXors, but i can do it immediately, normally, or delay it, and she'll still miss. or hit them lightly /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

i'd rather go for a juggle, or a throw.

18. death_raven

Aoi's evade is slightly odd, and i would say it would depend on the type of attack your evading, i've notice that my evade attack with Aoi misses when the opponent is doing a linear series, on the other hand when they just do one linear attack and the attack dont cause them to move forward then it hits, its somehow slow compared to jacky's and kage's, as a matter of fact i consider it somewhat like lei fei's although the opposite, you see in my opinion leifei doesnt move or evade down enough for an evade attack, while Aoi on the other hand i think move's down a bit too much, plus the fact that she slightly back up before she throws the elbow in her evade attack, all in all you can still use it to your advantage just look for the right time, or just evade pause for a frame or two then attack. NOTE : hitting them lightly is better than not hitting them at all.

19. CrYingCHoCoBo

yeah well, imo, unless ur characters evade attack is decent, or really good, then you might as well not use it. i've found that evade attacks are very rarely used in human vs. human combat on a more advanced level. i think when you evade, you decide for urself what kind of attack you'd like to do, throw, mid, high, or low, instead of the auto evade attack.

20. death_raven

well yeah in some human vs. human matches, but for me evade and evade attacks are part of my arsenal, that whay i had to practice my stepping, coz i try confusing opponent back dashing forward dashing evade attack trick when the time comes, but in Aoi case i limit this because of her evade and evade attack slight oddity, in any case evading/evading counter attack is pretty important when the opportunity arrives that is.

anyways have you notice the color change in Aoi 2p outfit? i found out the orbs had nothing to do with it, it just changes color from time to time