1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

kumite question

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by gribbly, Feb 20, 2002.

1. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

So I'm playing kumite... I have a 3rd dan Aoi, and I'm expecting to have to beat five 3rd dan or higher opponents to rank up. So far, so obvious.

I'm on four wins. A couple of them were 1st dan opponents, so I figure they don't count. Anyway, next match comes up, and surprisingly it's a ranking match. At first I thought it's a ranking match for my opponent (I've seen that before), but no, the text was under my "personal details" box. I thought, bonus, I get to rank up cheaply!

The opponent was [japanese]BABY[japanese], a 3rd dan Shun. I beat him three straight rounds, and am happy! 4th dan, or so I thought.

The next fight starts and I'm still 3rd dan! I got up to seven wins (all higher dans), but no ranking match. Then I lost to Wolf (and now I'm posting this).

Anyone know what happened here? I swear I'm not hallucinating this!

cam.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

maybe you need to beat five with -exactly- the same rank as you? That seems a little picky.

3. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

The way I read FeizaQ's and Ice-9's posts, only the matches against the same level dan count vs. leveling your character up or down. The 5 game win streak is only against the same level dans, so you could beat 2 same level opponents, lose to a 10th dan opponent, then beat 3 more same level opponents and get promoted to the next dan level.

I don't know how to explain what happen to Gribbly. It should have been the 3rd dan Shun's ranking match. <boggle>

4. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

That could very well be the reason, try getting the same ecsact thing again./versus/images/icons/wink.gif

5. gribbly

I don't know either. I swear I had the ranking text though. In *may* have been a different color or something, but as I don't read japanese I don't know what it was saying. I've just learned that "text on my side means I'm ranking".

Maybe it was a chance to rank *down*? Although that would be odd, since I was on a streak of four wins and was fighting a equal ranked character.

So let me get this straight -- to rank up I have to win five matches against same rank or higher opponents *in a row*?

What happens if I win against, say, four 4th dans (I'm 3rd dan right now), then get challenged by a 1st dan. Does this mean that even if I win I have to restart the streak? That seems harsh! Or is the 1st dan just a harmless interruption, and if the next challenger is 4th dan again I'm back on track?

Also, it seems to me that when you're getting close to a ranking match the computer will throw in a really high ranked character *before* the ranking match. E.g., I was at seven or eight wins and wondering when I was going to get to rank up when I got challenged (and badly mauled) by an emperor Lei Fei (first emperor I've played against).

One last question, in general is the fifth match the ranking match, or do you get the ranking match *after* beating five opponents?

Actually I have another -- I've been resorting to ring outs a little too often to be honorable. Sometimes high level characters (especially Vanessa and Lei Fei) overwhelm me with relentless attacks, and I find myself with my back against the ring. So I b/d+P+G (Aoi) throw them out of the ring! I got sick of trying to sidestep and being floated out...

In one sense this is well within the rules, and it's technically a win. But is the kumite mode sensitive enough to note that I'm not really *beating* these opponents, merely cheesing my way to victory?

A lot of questions, I know. But I'm stuck on 3rd dan and want to move on!

Thx,

cam.

6. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    grib,

I think that what you saw, for one reason or another, was a match where you might have ranked down. It doesn't take that many losses to run the risk.

To rank up, as I understand it, you have to beat 5 oppts who are the same or higher, without losing anywhere in between. I doesn't matter about other lower ranks challenging you, so long as you keep winning. If you loose anywhere in there, you have to start over.

I also thnik it sets you back in the unseen points you loose/gain once in the dan ranks. Once when trying to rank up, I beat 2 people of equal/higher rank, then lost. Then I beat 6, and lost. Then I beat 3, and the 3rd was a ranking match.

I ranking matches where you can rank up, I think you'll see 5 japanese characters under your stat window, in rank down matches, I think it's 6 characters. I'll check it out to confirm.

Grib, just DON'T loose /versus/images/icons/wink.gif.

Spotlite

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

1. ring outs are not cheap. get that idea out of your head. That's scrub thinking. A human is 10x less likely to fall for that strategy anyway. Is a P,K combo cheap if it's all you use to beat everyone in kumite?

2. I don't think the game cares how you win, it just keeps track of whether you're over 75% or not. Just keep winning.

8. oldtimer

oldtimer Well-Known Member

for ranks under 10 dan, you can only raise by defeating opponents of the same rank. Not higher or lower.

9. gribbly

>ring outs are not cheap

I agree, and am not afraid to use them against humans in a proper battle. My point was that it's a bit of a cheesy way to win in kumite because the AI is such a sucker for it. I feel I'm not really winning the fight, I'm just cheesing out.

>it just keeps track of whether you're over 75% or not

Aaaah... that's right. This would explain why I'm not getting ranking matches. I'm at like 73% right now.

grib.

10. gribbly

>Grib, just DON'T loose

Hmm, now why didn't *I* think of that??? =]

grib.