1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

LA: AI evo tournament in january

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by gribbly, Dec 13, 2002.

1. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

Hi all,

So I'm gonna pass you straight over to Amy:

"after we had the vf night at our place, i thought it would be cool to properly organise a tournament with prizes and food. i contacted arcade-infinity and they said it will be ok to do it there."

Amy has started to set this up, and after talking with Bryan, Andy and Mike at AI last Thursday we're thinking January '03. We discussed the possibility of either Sat 11 or 18 jan, or maybe a Sunday. We can decide on a date by consensus ( I hope).

Hopefully we can get the northern California folks to come down and call it the California state championships =]

Amy again:

"main features: free soda/pizza, hot vf competition and a trophy for the winner. $10 to enter. AI have agreed to have the evo machines on freeplay for the duration of the tournament. If enough people are interested, i will organise it."

So - who's interested?

cam.

2. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

how bout some 3v3 team action like daioh, and team replay /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

3. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Sounds good! A team tournament would be cool, but we'd probably have to make a random drawing out of it to determine teams. If that doesn't sound fun, I guess I'll just be on Andy and Joey's team /versus/images/icons/wink.gif.

I'll PM Howard and see what's up with the No-Cal guys.

Spotlite

4. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

David and I should be able to make it. Hopefully we can drag along the other two guys from SD.

If theres teams I think David and I should have Joey since we were the first to meet him /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. wesleyzm

wesleyzm Well-Known Member

sounds good!!!!!!
    i'll definetely be there with my friend!!!
    3rd souds good(as early as possible pliz^^)

wes

6. PhoenixDth

I think some balanced teams would be better than, random teams, strange things seem to happen at random. But first of all we need 4 teams minimum for us to have a team tourney.

If we are doing prize money, maybe we can split the money 1/3 in single competition and 2/3 to the team. Im sure we'll all figure out this later, but theres some suggestions to throw out there. Team spotlite, joey and andy ppppppffffffftttttttttttt /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Tournament sounds great. Thank you Amy, and Cameron.

January the 11th would be best for Catherine and I, the 12th would work, as well. The 18th is not good, the 19th is worse.

8. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Damn how I wish I had a chance to play Evo. Though VF4 activity has been low lately for me, I have recently started playing again this week and having a blast as always.... but no evo yet /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

Would have been worth saving up to play you LA peeps again, though.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE TOURNAMENT!

-Chanchai

9. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Hey Nick,

long time no see.

I heard from Howard up north that the ealier we do it the better for him, as he's moving back to Taiwan in mid January. Andy's going to be back in town from Texas on the 5th or 6th.

I'll try to nail Howard to a date, and he's also supposed to talk to the rest of the SF people (Chris, Don, Akira, Yusuke etc).

Spotlite

10. aimstar

aimstar Member

hi there - amy here. glad there is a bit of interest in the tournament. if we can agree on a date, i'm sure everything else will flow from there. at the moment, some people are talking about sat 11th of jan. so is this the day?

11. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Catherine and I vote for the 11th.

12. aimstar

aimstar Member

Last night at AI - Bryan, Brian, Alex and Mike all agreed on the 11th Jan 03. The 11th it is. I suggest we kick it off from midday onwards. Is that OK?

So including Cameron, Catherine and Talis we have 7 confirmed. Plus hopefully Andy is 8. Can we get a couple more people on the board interested, as I think we really need about 10 people to cover costs.

[Regarding costs: I think it would be more fun to have a trophy and food etc, but if you would just rather split the money after the arcade fees, we could do that. Up to you really.]

13. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

I'll be there.

14. PhoenixDth

i think a neat idea would to have the trophy stanley cup style, winner of the trophy gets their name etched/date and keeps it the duration till the next tourney. So a small cup with a big placard might be a good idea.

15. aimstar

aimstar Member

the perpetual trophy suggestion is an excellent idea. i can organize this in early jan when cam and i get back from hols. are we agreed on this?

16. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

I guess we're agreed on Jan 11th since Plague has made an awesome poster.

We'll print this out and put some up at AI on Thursday, might get a few curious souls to join in the action! I spoke to Aim about it and she doesn't think any changes are needed.

Nice work, Talis, thanks! But... why isn't Jeffry on the poster? Are you trying to hex me? *frown*

Also, who or what is "LA People"? Is that us? =]

See you guys Thursday.

grib.

17. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Glad the poster meets approval. It's 11x17 actual size. I'll print a few out from the original QuarkXpress file and bring them to AI on Thursday night (December 26th). Print outs from the web won't have good quality as you're printing a 72dpi jpeg (it'll be fuzzy and pixelated at actual size).

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Nice work, Talis, thanks! But... why isn't Jeffry on the poster? Are you trying to hex me? *frown*

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, man. Any advantage I can get /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif. He actually IS on the poster, down there with everyone else. Besides "Jeffrey's a badass" (- Jedi_fei), he doesn't need a self-esteem booster by having his portraiture emblazoned all over a tournament poster.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Also, who or what is "LA People"? Is that us? =]

[/ QUOTE ]

In a word... yes - it came from Spotlite's thread titles when addressing the local community - I think it fits our attitudes and outlooks - no posturing necessary. Also, depending on your viewpoint, it easily encompasses Los Angeles, Orange County, City of Industry, San Diego, Riverside, and Temecula players.

18. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Dude, don't blame the "LA People" on me! /versus/images/icons/wink.gif That's all yours, Talis.

Maybe I'll start a thread about the tournament at EC or Tekken Zaibatsu to draw more people, and return the hospitality the Tekken community has been showing the VF scene lately.

What do people think about the idea of single fights (3/5 rounds) for this tournament? We always do 2/3 fights, but maybe it'd be exciting to have just the 1 fight. With double elimination, we'd still have a nice fleshed out tournament. Just an idea, might be exciting to have to be really on our toes, like the Japanese tournaments.

Spotlite

19. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Credit where credit is due (and, I must say, it's due to you)...

LA people

Blame? Dude, c'mon now, I think LApeople is cool. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Cool idea to start stuff over at Zaibatsu and Electriccancel. We could eventually invite Tekkeners to the 2003 E3 tourney and actually include Tekken4 in the evening's activities (your house might collapse from stuffing the extra 100 people into it, though).

I like 2/3 fights. I'm already on my toes at tournaments. I also enjoy a 3-2 comeback from a 2-0 situation. I am open to the one fight rule if we have a full round-robin seeding (everyone plays everyone for one 3/5 fight first to seed the tournament, that way I don't lose to Mike in the first round - I can lose to Alex in the first round instead /versus/images/icons/smile.gif ) I still prefer 2/3 fights in the actual double elim., though.

20. wesleyzm

wesleyzm Well-Known Member

im definetely down with joon and tom-gay-hilfiger