1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

LA: AI evo tournament in january

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by gribbly, Dec 13, 2002.

1. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

[note: since we share the computer I'm not sure if I'm posting as grib or aimstar, but it's cameron typing...]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Plague: He actually IS on the poster, down there with everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, sure I guess. But I can't help noticing that Akira's head is 84 MILLION TIMES LARGER!!! =]

spotlite: Maybe I'll start a thread about the tournament at EC or Tekken Zaibatsu to draw more people

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea. You should post the URL so we can all chime in.

spotlite: What do people think about the idea of single fights (3/5 rounds) for this tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Personally I'm into the one fight idea. In my experience tournaments can get a little fuzzy, because they take just that little bit too long, and it's a kinda hard to keep track of who's winning and losing, and as a result the level of tension falls somewhat.

I think one fight double elim is very clear and clean. And if you get knocked out early (and let's face it, if anyone's looking at a two-fight tournament it's me...) there's always the next tournament. Plus the post-tournament grudge matches where you play your best when it doesn't count =]

Hmm I'm gonna see if I can work out how the poll thing works, and we'll settle this (one fight vs. 2/3) the democratic way

Hope to see everyone tonight... I'm gonna try and get there around 7:30PM tonight so I can stay for some extended fighting action.

cam.

2. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    I agree with Cam's sentiments about the 1 fight thing, but it's not something I feel is imperative; just an idea. We should vote on it as he suggested.

I've just purchased a digital video camcorder, so I'll be able to record matches (I can even get direct feed using my video converter if AI'll let us). It'd be cool to set it to 1 match versus, which resets the game after 1 (or how many matches we decide on) versus match to expedite things.

Spotlite

www.tekkenzaibatsu.com
    www.electriccancel.com

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Hmm I'm gonna see if I can work out how the poll thing works, and we'll settle this (one fight vs. 2/3) the democratic way

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe polls have been disabled. If this is so, everyone please post your desire for one fight or 2 out of 3.

I would like to see 2 out of 3 fights. The finals can remain 3/5 rounds (5/7 gets ridiculous in my opinion).

4. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

are we still doing team battle?
    i think team battle gives us more balanced play,

plus i just checked out the poster again, well actually the one posted at AI today, and noticed theres no contact information. maybe someone can go with a sharpie or extra small printout with a phone contact or website address.

5. gribbly

I don't think we're doing team battle this time around. Let's start simple /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Also - contact info is a good point. But I guess if people have questions they can ask at AI... Amy will give the AI crew all the details soon, so they will know what's going down.

cam.

6. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I can add contact info to the poster. What contact info should I put on it [who's name, email address, ph# (if you want that)?]

PM me with details

I do agree about starting simple. We can always add things - prize money, etc. as interest and attendance grows. Can you imagine a 64 person tournament with three full blown card reading vs. setups at AI on a Saturday afternoon? It can happen - maybe not tomorrow - but if everyone stays interested and continues to get the word out...

But hey, I'm not into this at all. Nope. No... yeah right! /versus/images/icons/grin.gif /versus/images/icons/grin.gif /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

my vote goes for 1 match, 3/5 rounds.

8. aimstar

aimstar Member

spotlite!!

yes - please bring the video recorder. i'll check with AI re: direct feed.

will also bring a digital stills camera.

amy

p.s. i still have pics of the night at our place to distribute. hassle me about it, and i'll organize to do it. my favorite pics are the ones of people's hands, which are blurred due to the incredible speed with which they were moving /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

yeah i want the pic of my hands so I can use it as my sign in pic /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Brisal73

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Haven't had time to read this thread yet, but here's the poll.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1041226919ice-9">

la evo tourney
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />one match
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />best of three matches
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

(Sorry for taking so long Grib, just came back from Indonesia, land of no Internet.)

12. JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

I vote for best of three matches. One match is way too short. Double elimination if possible as well. That's the format the Tekken tourneys I've hosted and been to have followed.

13. wesleyzm

wesleyzm Well-Known Member

is there any team tourney too?(like random 3on3 team tourney?) it would be cool if we have something like that^^

14. PhoenixDth

if we do single matches, i say we set up 3v3 team battle. Single battle with not many people will be a short tourney. Best of three takes too long if we have a lot of people. So it really depends on how many people sign up.

15. gribbly

>Sorry for taking so long Grib

No problem, thanks for doing that =] Ample time for the democratic process to unfold before the 11th...

cam.

16. gribbly

Amy says she'll distribute these when we're back from our New Years Desert Adventure =]

cam.

17. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    So, how does 3v3 work, anyway? 1a plays 2a, 2b, and 2c? 1b plays 2a... etc?

Just curious.

18. PhoenixDth

If you ever played king of fighters it works like that concept. Or if you watched any of the daiohs also.

Basically it works like this winner keeps advancing till other team is eliminated.

Team 1 - 1a , 1b, 1c vs Team 2 - 2a, 2b, 2c
    1a beats 2a - so 1a advances to play 2b
    2b beats 1a, 2a advances to 1b, 2a beats 1b advances to 1c.
    2b is on a hot streak and also beats 1c. Team 2 wins but 2c never gets to play that match.

If your worrying about playtime balancing, the order of players in teams can be changed within the next round so it can be 2c,2a,2b vs team 3.

i think i made it more complicated than it is, but im sure you can figure it out.

19. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Hey all,

just wanted to post that I've started threads at www.tekkenzaibatsu.com and www.electriccancel.com about the tournament in the tournament forums on those sites. The zaibatsu thread actually had some responses, but it got dusted when they re-did the whole site last week, so I started it over again.

Support the Threads!

Looks like the one match format is the favorite in the poll right now. Are we enforcing the one charcter rule in this tournament?

Spotlite

20. Brisal73

yes ...I vote for 1 character only