1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

LA: AI evo tournament in january

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by gribbly, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    One character sounds good to me

2. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

Hi all,

OK so everything's looking good for next Saturday. Amy spoke to Jack (AI co-owner) last night and confirmed the following:

1) minor time change: AI doesn't open until 1pm, so we need to start one hour later. So the correct times are 1pm registration/warmup, 2pm tourney start.

2) we are allowed to move the machines into the large-ish open area! Cool =]

Please see this thread for pre-registration. All the regulars should pre-reg!

Other random points:

* There's a "strategy session" lunch at 12pm at Life Plaza. So we can do some last minute planning over tasty food and boba drinks! Then we'll be waiting outside AI at 12:55pm =]

* Mike, you mentioned something about resetting the machines - what did you mean? Is this for stats?

* Spotlite, just confirming that you're going to take care of filming. We should talk about the direct feed idea with Jack/Jeffry, since it would be so very sweet. We have a stills camera that we'll bring along.

* Brisal - does Fry's have a cheap PA (mike and speaker) kind of thing? PM me!

* During the course of this week we should firm up the rules. I think the poll has established that it's one match double elim. Despite persistent discussion we're *not* doing team battle this time around (maybe next time, though). One big outstanding issue:

* can you switch characters?

...I'll ask ice-9 to do another poll for us!

OK, I think that's all for now...

cam.

3. aimstar

aimstar Member

Gotta trophy!

thought i'd let you know i got a trophy organized, and i think it's pretty sweet.

i know we talked about getting something like a perpetual cup, but the good ones were way too expensive, so this'll be one that the winner can take home and keep. maybe if we set up regular tourneys we can get a perpetual cup later with any extra cash that might be leftover.

anyhow, i think saturday should be a fun day. if you haven't already, please make sure to register your attendance! pm me or email to aimstar33@yahoo.com

thanks,
    amy

4. aimstar

aimstar Member

Tourney Rule Clarification

Hi all,

We have already had some discussion about this, so to avoid confusion, I think it would be the best policy to make it clear that the rule will be that contestants will only be able to play one character throughout the tournament on Sat.

Any thoughts?

Regards
    Amy

5. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

Re: Tourney Rule Clarification

I have a name for the trophy...since we might hold this tournament mor than once... What do you think of the "INFINITY CUP". That is all see you Sat.

6. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

1 character is fine with me.

Infinity cup sounds cool. Hopefully theyll get Ver. B sometime or I probably wont go back there too often after the PS2 version is released.

7. aimstar

aimstar Member

infinity cup

i like that name brian.

when we get a perpetual cup, we should definitely get "INFINITY CUP" engraved on it! as i said in an earlier mail, i couldn't afford to buy the big cup so got a smaller trophy with fighting guys on top instead.

i would still like to get a cup in future tho, and retroactively put names of previous winners on it.

after thinking it over, i thought it would be best if each tourney had a little trophy that the winner could keep, and then had their name added to the cup that was kept in one place for all to see. that's because once, I organized a competition with a perpetual trophy that the winner was allowed to take home, and then bring back later. problem was that he moved away and never gave it back!

maybe the cup could live at AI??

amy

8. gribbly

you won't come back because you're scared of Jeffry!!! I WIN!!!

er... yeah...

I like "Infinity Cup" too.

cam.

9. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

Ok one day to go... Hopefully we will have a BIG showing. Anyways Im planning on going tonight at around 8ish. What I need to know is where would you guys and gals like everything to be setup at. I noticed on wed that they opened up a big space near the left DDR machine. I hope they dont put it there since I don't feel like hearing the music from that machine while Im playing. So give me some ideas and I'll make sure to tell the owner the settings and the placement. Ok thx...remember I will be showing up very close to the start so just add me to a bracket... I will be there asap.

10. gribbly

Well the only idea I had for the machines was to put them over where that table and chairs are, kinda in the center of the room. The idea is just to have as much space behind the players as possible so people can stand around and watch.

The DDR noise is a potential problem, but I'm thinking that we'll be able to have the Evo machines cranked up loud for the duration of the tournament. One more thing for the 1pm-2pm todo list tomorrow!

cam.

11. aimstar

aimstar Member

LA Gathering Pictures

As promised, here are the pics we took at the gathering at our house a little while ago. http://www.gribbly.org/gallery/vf_la_gathering.html

Sorry we have been a bit slow to get these up. You can thank Cam for doing it last night.

Amy