1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

LA: machine #2

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by gribbly, Dec 18, 2001.

1. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

The Good News
    -----------------------
    I found another machine in LA. It's at Westwood Arcade (10965 Weyburn Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90024 (310) 443-4316).

It's cheap -- Westwood Arcade uses tokens. You get 30 tokens for $5.00. It's two tokens to start, one to continue or challenge. So that's 33.33c to start, 16.67c to continue =] Not bad considering it's 75/50c at UCLA.

Rounds are set to 2/2.

(BTW Feixaq I've submitted this on your site).

The Bad News
    ---------------------

Sticks are crap. 1P side is awful (but works), 2P side is broken (right (3) doesn't register at all, ever). I had to challenge a Lion scrub with the non-functional right stick... I won too =] Then he kept challenging me over and over. Very goddamn boring when you can't backdash, perform half your throws, etc. So I waited till he got bored losing to my necessarily unflashy Pai, then moved to the 1P side. Finally beat the CPU tonight, so that was something.

Button layout is likewise crap. G P K in a straight line. I developed actual pain playing on this machine :( It got too painful to use my thumb on G sometimes, so I switched to using three fingers -- only problem being I can't play that way.

So -- spotlite, other LA VFers (wherever you are) -- we have to campaign to get the buttons/sticks attended to. I don't know what the management at Westwood Arcade is like -- the dude who gave me token change sure wasn't interested =]

Even though the machine sucked I was glad to find it, since I'd just travelled all the way to UCLA to find it had closed an hour early after being devoted exclusively to what looked suspiciously like a Christian youth group all evening. That was a bit of a disappoinment.

I sound like a total whiner tonight -- but the other thing that sucked was that there was a *lot* more folk playing T4 (right next to me) than VF4. A few looked on with interest when I got to Dural (maybe they hadn't seen her before?), but apart from that they seemed absorbed with Paul and the gang. *sigh* just like old times...

grib.

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Ok thanks for the heads up. I've been a little slow in updating the site recently because I've had to figure out how to enable ATM DSL connectivity (SpeedStream 3010 ATM PCI card) on WinXP at home... got that figured out today, so hopefully I'll be able to update things later.

3. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    yeah, I've checked it out before. I actually went there last night after UCLA thinkig you might be there (about 7:15: but you weren't.

While it is probably the cheapest VF4 machine in the country, I find it unplayable. I usually stand at about a 45 degree angle to the totally horizontal buttons, and bend over so my hand is somewhat flat... totally painful, and I can't even input well since I fuck up my position relative to the stick just to use the buttons, which are also spread too far apart.

Low res monitor, too. Faces are all blurred...

whoever set it up is a moron. I think cabinet layout should be controlled by a special government orginization, since Sega obviously doesn't see that it's important to deal with properly.

It's pointless to try and get them to change it in my mind. The jap. PS2 release is so close, and UCLA is fine, even if it is a little more expensive. I happily pay extra for the proper set up.

Spotlite