1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

LA, the wait is over...

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by akiralove, Nov 6, 2001.

1. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    almost.

UCLA has VF4. I spoke to the manager guy today, said they got the kit, but he's waiting 'til a "mechanic" is there to install it. Said it'll probably be thursday. Probably not tommorow. I'm tempted to go down there and offer to put the thing in myself!

Said he wants to put it in the big screen. I also talked to him about button layout. Since it's going in a SF/Tekken style cab, I told him to use the buttons I mentioned in the other thread (first two vertical, next top button), and he said he'd try to do it that way. I'm gonna go by tommorow and try to drop off a drawing of how it should be, just to make sure.

Sounded like a nice guy. I'm hyped. Two more days. If it comes out thursday, anyone want to meet me there?

Spotlite

2. zerom

zerom Member

Wow II good spotlite.. good spotlite...

Unfortunatly, I don't know about ucla arcade center..
    where is it..? and, what about parking space....
    and etc....

please tell me spotlite...

3. segaduck

segaduck Well-Known Member

Wooooooooow!!! I am happy for you !!!

I know the feeling of waiting for VF4, trust me. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

My sincere best wishes.

5. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Zerom,

I think you told me you live in Ktown, right? From Ktown, take Wilshire west, towards Santa Monica.

You're looking for a street called Westwood. You'll have to go about 5 miles, maybe a little more, from the Ktown area. Go through Beverly Hills, and then Wilshire will become wide and everyone drives fast. After that, Westwood will come up soon. You want to go North on Westwood, or right if you're coming from Ktown.

Westwood goes directly into the UCLA campus. Just go straight. There are several parking garages, some have meters, and some have flat rate available. If you're going for a few hours, GET FLAT RATE, $6.00. The meters are expensive, 25 cents for 8 minuites! I know you can get flat rate parking in garage P4, but I'm not sure if you can enter P4 from the south. There's an information booth, so just ask them for flat rate parking.

I'm gonna go today, just to see if I can get a picture of button layout to the manager. I'll check out parking some more.

Since I'm going to be there a lot, I want to get a parking pass. Even if it's as much as $100.00 for a year, we're saving money. Call 310 206 PARK for info.

Can't wait to play with you again!

Spotlite

6. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

My hat goes off to you spotlite, I didn't know if it was gonna happen. Damn, this makes me kinda wish I was still there, or at the very least, makes me wanna come down and visit and play you guys.

A bit of advice for the cheap guys there (like me), if you don't want to pay for parking, there is a whole area on the other side of Gayley Ave. from campus that is mostly apartments where students live, you can find sometimes street parking there if you drive around a bit, other times it is packed. Best bets, if you plan on going on the weekdays, are Thursdays and Fridays at 11:00 AM just when street cleaning has finished and there are spaces on the streets around there. It is an extra 5 or 10 minutes walk to the arcade though. If I'm not mistaken a parking permit was $300 a quarter. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

7. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

This is the best news!!!

Thursday night, thursday night... no that's bad for me :( Have a meeting thingo to attend for work (first meeting of the LA chapter of the IGDA -- International Game Developers Association... if you're in LA, you should come! Message me for details).

However, I am _so_ there on the weekend! I'm gonna get down there Saturday afternoon, probably around 3pm. Hope to see some LA vfdc people there!

BTW the UCLA arcade is called "X-Cape" and it's located inside the Ackerman student union building.

grib.

8. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Yeah, I forgot to mention where it is on campus. If you park in P6, on westwood, the Ackerman Union building is on your right, nearby the parking garage. Just ask someone where it is. If you see "UCLA Store" oe "The COOP" or "Ackerman Union", that's the right building. It's easy to find, there are signs everywhere.

Just came back from there. Still not installed, but I got my note about buttons to the manager, Guijermo.

Hopefully, it'll be up tommorow.

Spotlite

9. zerom

zerom Member

Finally..!!!

Hu Hu....

10. gribbly

Good work on the buttons. It would a letdown to wait four months and then have the buttons all screwed up :)

I guess it'll take a week or two to settle in and all, but we should start thinking about a regular time to get together. I don't know about anyone else, but I work fulltime, etc. So it would help me if there was a specific night (weeknight, weekend, whichever) when I knew there'd be a gathering of the faithful!

Any suggestions?

grib.

11. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

"Good work on the buttons. It would a letdown to wait four months and then have the buttons all screwed up :)"

You guys should just adapt to the default button settings cause it works quite well once you get used to it. If you have a different setup you are goin to be majorly screwed when you play somewhere else and it's not like everywhere is going to have a different setup so it would be best to get used to the most common one IMHO.

12. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Did you read the first post in this thread? They're getting a kit VF4 installed into a SF/Tekken cabinet. Spotlite just wanted to make sure that the buttons were layed out as close as possible to a Japanese machine (i.e. vertically) vs. how many arcades in north america will probably choose a horizontal layout.

Even though I use index finger on guard I think the vertical layout will be more comfortable, as long as the buttons aren't spaced too far apart like on some Tekken machines I've seen... bleh.

Here's what would be best IMO.

P K
    G X

Where X is the missing Tekken right kick button after the kit is installed.

I could live with a horizontal layout like:

G P K

but I know this would absolutely kill people that want to use their thumb to guard.

13. Hayai_JiJi

Every machine I have heard about in NA has the horizontal layout of GPK. I really can go either way with the layout. I just thought I would bring it up because I did not want them to go through all this trouble to get what they thought was the standard layout and find out everywhere else has the horizontal layout.

14. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

At SVGL it's in a Capcom cabinet and the layout is G = short, P = strong, K = fierce so it's like:

P K
    G

Which I think works pretty well.

15. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Actually, more like:

x K G
    P x x

But I like it much better than having all three in a row...

16. Hayai_JiJi

Atleast it's not
    x G P
    K x x

17. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Just called UCLA (thurs. 1:00 PM) still looks like it's not up. Guijermo isn't answering his phone, but some girl said they didn't have it. Gonna keep checking back through the day.

Regarding times, I'll probably be playing Moday nights, a little on Tuesday nights, long sessions on wed. and thurs., and saturday afternoons. I noticed sunday has a flat rate play deal almost all day, which seems good, but I work then.

Regarding button layout, I want to use what's best, not what everyone else has. I'm gonna be playing at UCLA more than anywhere else, and barring some unforeseen disaster with the gameplay of the PS2 version, people will most likely be playing that come January with Jap-style sticks. Someone else recently posted why it's more responsive to have your thumb on G due to the design of the human hand, and I agree. Also, since I'm gonna be going to Japan a couple times a year for work, I wanna use what's closest to their sticks and the home sticks, which are the same.

I suggested the layout Yupa showed, with the RK missing from the Tekken scheme.

Spotlite

18. Hayai_JiJi

"Also, since I'm gonna be going to Japan a couple times a year for work, I wanna use what's closest to their sticks and the home sticks, which are the same."

You lucky sum bitch I need one of those jobs:)

19. gribbly

haha me too :) (oops... that's your classic "me too" post).

Better add some content! spotlite, total agreement on the buttons. I like to have my thumb on guard as well.

Monday night suits me as a regular "get together at UCLA" night. Can anyone else in LA make it then?

ponders to self... this is probably worth a new thread, but let's wait till the machine actually turns up and is ready to play.

grib.

20. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    just talked to UCLA, manager says it's running!!!!

GOING NOW!