1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of Newbie-Friendy Guides for VF

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Supid, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    SiYkO said:

You need to put in work to learn the game. A guide will not help you if you are not ready to put in that work, and you will not become a vf player.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this 100%. However, there should also be a guide that should potentially help beginner to "jump" into the VF wagon. But overall, what you said is true. VF isnt really a "pick-up-and-play" kind of game, and that not everyone who try the game and like it. but most of the time ppl who do not like the game are struggling with the "basics".

2. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    KoD said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Condor said: the "basics" is what a lot of noobs are having trouble with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are these noobs that you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

people who i talked to about VF. people who are namco fans, casual gamers......

3. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Supid said:
    That's a rather harsh and unaccomodating reply.

The outline is for a NEWBIE guide; its objective to get a totally clueless new player off the ground and provide him with simple yet effective means of attack and defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I was harsh, but I felt that someone needed to be just that at that point. Sorry if I offended you or anyone else. The problem I have is with the viewpoint:

How can you expect someone to use their time and effort to write a "n00bguide" for VF for someone, themselves, who can't be bothered going thru the trainingmode in the game? Why would they care about your text? Cause they can't find pppk on their own or be bothered to? I don't believe that anyone who works from a noobguide moves on to learn, or want to learn, more about VF. I'm sorry I just don't see that happening or have ever heard of it. VF is a techniqual fighter and as such you pretty much must approach it in that way, those who don't move on. They always do.

Hands on training >>>> textfile so why complain over the wealth of the former like it's a bad thing?

[ QUOTE ]
    Supid said:
    If you have no intention of contributing positively, please at least stay out of it. Or better, create your own guide to VF and show you can do a better job at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be suprised over how many things I have translated of this site into Swedish and so on. I, and Jeneric, have actually done a quick basis for all characters but we're using a kinda systematic approach. All tech and so on is translated into Swedish for the (hopefully) new breed of VF5 players that will come.

I might be a frame/by the book moron but I believe still that in order to learn VF you have to learn the system, or atleast want to so the approach we use is along those lines (Jenerics idea to start of from attacks / throw's as equal parts in VF was brilliant imo).

http://www.bitterharmony.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1089

That's for Akira for example (there's one for every character) and the approach is like this:

------------------------------------------------

x) Small introduction to the character and his/her strengths. Why you might want to play him/her.

1) Generic text explaining the concept of Nitaku with example of nitaku and frames. Explaining VF's core (mid or throw).
    2) Attacks that beat your opponents 2p at different advantages you have (the chart, only a handfull of attacks) from small to big
    3) Guaranteed attacks at different advantages.

XX) Generic text about modifying moves (this is akira after all), link to vfdc frameslist so you can explore frames further for Akira, link to a larger beginners textdocument on understanding frames.
    XXX) Generic text on how to see, search for and practice combos in freetraining.
    XXXX) Generic small introduction to optionselects with links to documents (translated) that go into them indepth if they want to.

Second post is always about the characters throwgame where it's divided into topthrows, medium throws and throws that aren't so good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, the viewpoint can be said that the reason for not learning VF in the beginning is that you have trouble navigating around, learning concepts and why to use them quickly. Therefor there are lots of generic parts and a collective document for your character from which you can explore things further how much you want by just clicking instead of using a search and so on, going as deep into the system as you want from there.

It's as much about learning the characters as the system and more about helping someone to learn *on their own* then spoonfeeding them to do 3ppp2k after a Lau launch. I value someone learning to see for themselves a Lau combo in freetraining, and being able to navigate there, as more important and a better starting point. And it takes an equal amount of time to teach someone both.

[ QUOTE ]
    SiYkO said:

You need to put in work to learn the game. A guide will not help you if you are not ready to put in that work, and you will not become a vf player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted for truth.

/KiwE

4. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

Hhhmmm, definately an interesting discussion.

Just for the record though, there are other perspectives on this. My background is a rampant knowledge of mostly simple fighting games for the SNES and VF1 (Remix actualy) when I got a PS2 and VF4E. I just cracked open the quest mode and explored by hand, added in knowledge from VFDC and the tutorials. I have no local VF-ers, learned the whole thing from the ground up. I'm hooked.

Now, I learned just about everything there is to know about VF (just unable to execute it all, I've got extremely bad reflexes).

And then I started playing Tekken for the first time...
    I've spent weeks poring over manuals and whatnot and I still couldn't quick rise properly. Once I'm on the ground I'm dead in Tekken. Who on earth invented the right left mechanic, the controls are an absolute atrocity I can't get used to. To me, VF was far easier to pick up and play than Tekken... Am I the only poor sod in this?! (I've gotten mildly used to Tekken in the meantime though, picking it up every now and again. But I still can't fully get to grips with the mechanics.)

The two fighters have about the same learning arcs if you ask me. The problem is, most people already know Tekken when they start with VF. Adapting the automatisms you have in one to the other doesn't work well at all since blocking properties are slightly different, dodging is massively different, etc.

But when it comes down to writing guides Creed helped me underway with this guide

5. Supid

Supid Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Sudden_Death said:

"Supid have you actually gone through the evo tutorial?"

"No, because I don't have VF4 or VF4Evo for PS2"

nuff said...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you taking a potshot at my lack of a PS2? For the record, I never owned a game console and the PS2 just available is not mine to do as I see fit.

[ QUOTE ]
    KiwE said:

How can you expect someone to use their time and effort to write a "n00bguide" for VF for someone, themselves, who can't be bothered going thru the trainingmode in the game? Why would they care about your text? Cause they can't find pppk on their own or be bothered to? I don't believe that anyone who works from a noobguide moves on to learn, or want to learn, more about VF. I'm sorry I just don't see that happening or have ever heard of it. VF is a techniqual fighter and as such you pretty much must approach it in that way, those who don't move on. They always do.

Hands on training >>>> textfile so why complain over the wealth of the former like it's a bad thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is the hands on training if a newbie is learning straight from the local arcade, doesn't have a PS2 and there is hardly anyone around to offer a challenge or to help coach? That is by and large the situation I was in when I started learning Kage on VF4 Ver. B. That is why I own M Ramzan so much for his Kage FAQ; it was almost the only guide I had. Does anyone have a good answer to this?

[ QUOTE ]
    KiwE said:

You'd be suprised over how many things I have translated of this site into Swedish and so on. I, and Jeneric, have actually done a quick basis for all characters but we're using a kinda systematic approach. All tech and so on is translated into Swedish for the (hopefully) new breed of VF5 players that will come

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's good and pretty much what I wanted to hear so please accept my apologies as I take back what I said previously. Unfortunately, I won't benefit from what you have been doing since I don't understand Swedish, but that can't be held against you.

6. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    [ QUOTE ]
    Supid said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Sudden_Death said:

"Supid have you actually gone through the evo tutorial?"

"No, because I don't have VF4 or VF4Evo for PS2"

nuff said...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is the hands on training if a newbie is learning straight from the local arcade, doesn't have a PS2 and there is hardly anyone around to offer a challenge or to help coach? That is by and large the situation I was in when I started learning Kage on VF4 Ver. B. That is why I own M Ramzan so much for his Kage FAQ; it was almost the only guide I had. Does anyone have a good answer to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be quite frank do yourself a favour get yourself a PS2 and VF EVO. Then when you've actually played through the tutorial like 90% of the VF players here then respond with feedback. I'm asking you to this because I'm quite interested to know what you think. If you refuse to get on then thats your problem. You need to go the extra mile yourself as well. Let's say you do gets this "Noob" guide you still have to essentially learn and put effort into learning the game. No guide in the world can force the player to put effort into to learning the game..

I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at how good the tutorial is.. and yes I was a "NOOB" like you too.

7. Supid

Supid Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Jide said:

To be quite frank do yourself a favour get yourself a PS2 and VF EVO. Then when you've actually played through the tutorial like 90% of the VF players here then respond with feedback. I'm asking you to this because I'm quite interested to know what you think. If you refuse to get on then thats your problem. You need to go the extra mile yourself as well. Let's say you do gets this "Noob" guide you still have to essentially learn and put effort into learning the game. No guide in the world can force the player to put effort into to learning the game..

I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at how good the tutorial is.. and yes I was a "NOOB" like you too.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question still stands unanswered: how could a newbie who didn't have access to a PS2 nor a veteran VF4er to serve as coach get hands-on training? Not everyone had the means to buy a PS2 as and when they liked; that was the situation I was in.

Hopefully, I'll be able to remedy the situation soon and give feedback on the tutorial.

At any rate, if you read my original post, my real concern is not about VF4, but VF5. Though Srider mentioned that VF5 for arcade is very unlikely to hit the English speaking world, but having guides to start off interested newbies on the right foot should be helpful (unless the tutorial created for VF5 PS3 is remarkably idiot-proof, in which case I'll have no complaints)

[ QUOTE ]
    Excerpt from my first post

There is little productive stuff that can done for VF4 now. What I really want as a response to this post is a willingness to create newbie-friendly guides for VF5, which has yet to be released to the majority of the English speaking world, and to release them on somewhere easily accessible, e.g. Gamefaqs (maybe you have something against that site, but, face it, the first place most gamers would look for a FAQ will be there, braindead simple).

[/ QUOTE ]

8. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    You guys are still coming from the wrong perspective. You are seeing this from the perspective of taking someone who is interested in VF and making them good. VF has enough of that. That's what all the tutorials and the 40+ faqs on this site are for.

What is need is guidance that comes from the perspective of, "you really are not interested in VF but by chance happen to be playing it anyway, so I'm going to tell you just enough to enjoy yourself until you do become really interested." or said another way, "I am going to tell you just enough so that VF doesn't turn you off completely."

Most of you are putting the cart before the horse and are saying things like, "you have to work at it," and "you have to be willing to put the effort in." VF is a game people put effort into game AFTER THEY ARE ALREADY INTERESTED IN IT. You can't expect to win over new players by telling them to work before they get interested. They have to play, have fun, and get interested first, and then they will be willing to work in order to win.

All the guides I have seen to date are "help me win" guides. VF needs a "help me walk" guide. Noobs need a guide that focuses on the true basics that nearly all VF old-heads take for granted.

<u>Moving Around</u>
    1. How to dash toward your opponent.
    2. How to dash away from your opponent.
    3. How to free step up.
    4. How to free step down.
    5. How to run.

<u>Guarding</u>
    1. Learning that there is no neutral guard ever.
    2. Learning that holding back does not block for you ever.
    3. Learning that you must press a button to block.

<u>Basic Attacks</u>
    Blah, Blah

Don't put the cart before the horse.

The best woman in the world will never get hit on, if she is ugly as hell. She may be the best person alive if you get to know her, but you will never invest that time if her looks turn you off at the beginning.

9. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

Everyone who tries playing VF at all will come to a point when they say "wow this is too hard!" and they will either work to become better at it and overcome that, or give up.

The people that give up we do not care about.

The people that work for it do not need a newbie guide.

All that would do is get someone who is stuck at 'how do i punch' and move them forward a step before they give up and quit.

10. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    The reason why beginner guides(None that I have seen is even the "beginner") are created for other games is because NO fighting game has a tutorial which teaches the basics of the games to the user. I find it personally insulting that AM2 went to such lengths to include a tutorial in both VF4 and VF4 EVO and for you to say for someone who has only access to the arcade..

There is no final guidelines on what the VF5 system is even though its out in the arcade. There will be revisions etc.
    Information has to be translated which takes alot of time.

Fact is nowadays people just want to be spoonfed by videos. Because they're too lax to try and find out information for themselves.

If you can't get access to a PS2, you surely must know someone who does.. Sit down with it. If you ask me it will be better than any video/document you read for the beginner. Because you're actually playing while learning....

This is the last post I'm going to make on this subject. Good luck and I hope you enjoy VF

11. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

"Hey Bryan, I'm tired of playing mah jong...tired of playing games that involve tiles of any kind. What am I going to do with all this free time?"

"Well Roy, you could whip out that bull mastiff of a cock of yours and show some of the ladies your moves, that might get some of this time off your hands and hey, maybe even burn a few calories."

"Y'know I thoughta that, but I got my dog in the kennel for now just for personal reasons. I'm on an ascetic quest. Fido don't get to eat till I solve this gaming pastime delimma."

"Fair enough. What about poker? Or Chess?"

"Poker puts me to sleep and all chess players are perverts. The scary kind."

"Okay. Hey, y'know VF5 is coming out one of these days. I hear the ninja in that game is a mah jong assassin!"

"I already told you, no more fucking mah jong!"

"No no no. You aren't getting it. You play as the ninja but you never actually play mah jong. You beat people up. Then you can imagine your character relaxing after his physical contest with a more cerebral contest. Or you could imagine your defeated ninja salving his wounds with victory in that most sublime game of tiles. Understand that all the while you will be helping the ninja uncover the mysterious Judgement 6 organization's plans for his mother."

"But...but...I have never played VF. I'm sure there's lots of stuff to learn. I will suck at VF5."

"Everybody is gonna suck at VF5 at first. The best way you can prepare yourself for its release is by going to the arcade and playing vf4:ft with some of the locals or picking up vf4:evo at the store and finding some friends who want to play it with you."

"Would you like to play with me?"

"Yeah! C'mon, let's go pick up the game right now. I'm just waiting for my sister, she can take care of herself. You know the only thing I'm lacking now is, who should I pick?"

12. Supid

Supid Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Jide said:
    The reason why beginner guides(None that I have seen is even the "beginner") are created for other games is because NO fighting game has a tutorial which teaches the basics of the games to the user. I find it personally insulting that AM2 went to such lengths to include a tutorial in both VF4 and VF4 EVO and for you to say for someone who has only access to the arcade..
    Rearranged
    If you can't get access to a PS2, you surely must know someone who does.. Sit down with it. If you ask me it will be better than any video/document you read for the beginner. Because you're actually playing while learning....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how you can be insulted by my former lack of access to a PS2; is my inability to get a PS2 and access the tutorials in VF4 PS2 a reason to classify me as someone unworthy of your aid? Am I being looked down because I learn VF4 through the arcade? Do you look upon every arcade-only VF4er with the same mindset?

I don't have access to a PS2 for financial reasons (and also limits my spending at the arcade); the one that just arrived does not belong to me. I have a computer and internet access, but these are much more justifyable to my parents on accounts of their practical utility (including giving me access to VF material on the internet) and since my first one, the cash for new computers and upgrades come out of my own savings. Among my relatives and the few close friends I have, none share my passion with arcade games and none has a PS2. How should that be a source of insult to you?

[ QUOTE ]
    There is no final guidelines on what the VF5 system is even though its out in the arcade. There will be revisions etc.
    Information has to be translated which takes alot of time.

[/ QUOTE ]
    We'll wait and see and hope for the best of course!
    [ QUOTE ]
    Fact is nowadays people just want to be spoonfed by videos. Because they're too lax to try and find out information for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
    When did I ever ask for videos? The first mention of any sort of tutorial videos in this post was made by you!? I asked for text guides, which is time intensive but doesn't demands much hardware resources.
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is the last post I'm going to make on this subject. Good luck and I hope you enjoy VF

[/ QUOTE ]
    If nothing else, thank you for your courtesy ...

I am getting increasingly tired at having to fend of all the posts that seem to devalue my opinions / requests for newbie guides by attacking my lack of access to VF4 for PS2, because of my lack of means to make it otherwise and justify to my parents in the process.

I love play VF series. With limited capital, I tend to be choosy over what games I play on the arcade. The VF series was one of two 1-vs-1 combat arcade game series that I focused on; the other was a 3D mecha game, both were remarkably indepth and popular (at least in Japan) Sega titles. I enjoy both series immensely, and want to see their growth in popularity because I believe these games are deserving of it. Which is why I have advocated for fellow players of both series to write guides to help newcomers, with the indirect aim of boosting the series' popularities.

When I first started this thread, I held hopes that the VFDC community will be willing to put effort into something that will help boost the popularity of VF by making it more accessible to the masses. I found some sympathetic ears, and a few advocates who share my general view and concerns (Condor and Darrius_Cole, thank you very much for your consistant support).

The replies that greatly saddened me were of two primary classifications:
    1) Those who maintain a swim-or-sink view regarding newbies "The people that give up we do not care about."
    2) Those who demean my view because I have not played the VF4 tutorial on PS2, because I don't have access to a PS2 due to lack of financial means.

Edit: cut out overlooked repetitiion

I am largely done with this thread, due to grief at the attacks directed at my PS2-lacking status. This is something I had not expected and am not prepared for.

I will probably post one more time Edit: ON THIS THREAD since, with luck, I will finally be able to play the PS2 tutorial and some has requested that I offer my take on it. Until then, this shall be my last post.

Thanks again Condor and Darrius_Cole. It means a great deal to know there are other who share and support my view. I wish there could have been more like you ...

Thanks to those who has read my posts with deliberation and give some weight to my opinions (Vanity has it pretty spot on with his amended signature)

Thanks to those who have devoted efforts in creating and translating VF guides.

And finally, thank you s_aki for your humourous take on this discussion. I never appreciated profanities, but apart from that I enjoy your fictionous dialogue and it lightens my heavy heart.

Edit: I'll still be around VFDC and may participate in other discussions, but I tire of this thread and the constant sparring. Apologies for any misunderstanding about "my last post"

13. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Supid: where are you located? In the US? in AU? We can probably help you find better resources for learning VF if you give us a bit of help.

14. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    Supid, don't give up hope. As someone who is not a rookie but not an old-head on these forums either let me tell you about VF.

1. It is the most free forum on the Web.
    2. It is the most honest forum on the Web.
    3. It is full of people who love VF with a severe passion.
    4. The people here will help you with VF, even the people who act like bastards.
    5. It probably is the single greatest source for info about VF in the English speaking world.

We say exactly what we feel. We curse, we trade insults, we tell the brutal truth as we see it. If you complain to a mod, he'll probably curse you out for being soft. It is definitely a grown man's forum far more that any other I have ever been in.

If you can't be tough this isn't the place for you. That may have something to do with why we play VF, maybe we are just tougher than the average gamer.

Nevertheless, come here ask you question and someone here will answer it.

15. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Here's the problem, if you're playing say 10 games a week of VF at the arcade (which you didn't even say you are), your biggest obstacle is going to be execution. But really, getting down execution is one of the first things you need to do.

I honestly don't know how anyone can get good at this game without a PS2, or someone coaching them right behind them.

16. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Darrius_Cole said:

You guys are still coming from the wrong perspective. You are seeing this from the perspective of taking someone who is interested in VF and making them good.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. But the only thing a noob would want is random moves that look cool if even that. Not the type of guide you listed (which I still think is a great idea). An even further truth is that most are probably looking for just one thing, to win, to make the game fun for them.

Otherwise they'll leave.

Those few who come searching for faq's, and ways of improving themselves, are certainly not pure Arcade players of a game that's been out for years (save supid). VF5 will not even be in arcades in the west so the premise there will kinda be someone who has already bought the game will it not? It's those who "already are interested in it" that are those who search for faq's. Why do you need/want to have a faq to learn how to have fun with something you're not?

You're kidding yourself if you think they (brrrr "they" sound so cold hah) want to read about how to dash and whatnot, hell, even Supid himself said he didn't want to know about 'sidestep' which you listed. Imagine telling someone how to techroll - even if they cared about it as opposed to remembering another attack they wouldn't have the proper execution for a long time and as Vanity said execution should be one of the first things you learn.

[ QUOTE ]
    Supid said:

I am largely done with this thread, due to grief at the attacks directed at my PS2-lacking status. This is something I had not expected and am not prepared for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry you feel that way and that you are saddened by the replies but in all fairness that's your problem. Nobody has down right insulted you and, as you said yourself, you have gotten a lot of people to listen to you and feeling empathic for your cause (granted not me but I wouldn't mind the sort of faq you're looking for).

I'm suprised that you thought that not having a playstation or the game itself wouldn't be of importance when asking people to help you or write a document for you to read. Cause it simply is. If you can't take replies like those you've gotten you probably shouldn't have written in the first place - there are not many forums in the worlds where you would've gotten nicer ones. I don't think there's a single person on the site that wouldn't help or try to help you if you had direct questions regarding VF which says a lot. Nobody's saying or demanding that you stop posting, in fact, this discussion is healthy.

The best thing you could do is find some people in the US to play with and go to them and they'll play with and help you. VF players are known for oppening their doors to newcomers (I know, hard to believe). Hope you get to play the VF tutorial soon and keep your interest in the game.

/KiwE

17. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

what it all comes down to is that you just didn't know evos's training mode was that good and idiot proof. MANY MANY MANY people do not know this fact: VF4:evo has THE best training mode in the history of ALL fighting games, seriously it does, this is not fanboyism, ask ANYONE, hell it should go on the guiness records, NOONE has matched evo's training mode.

i think i know why most people just dont go and play evos training mode and it probably has a lot to do with the internet attitude towads "noobs". usually it goes like this:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    welcome to the Rooster Fighter X (new fictional fighting game!) forums:

noob: hey was wondering, i play as cockking and i wanted to know if his cockpunch move hits high or mid? and why can anyone escape my throws? can anyone explain the system of this game in detail?

2 possible replyes :

RFX regular#1 : RFX has a training mode go play that you noob! GOSH!

that was the typical asshole response "noobs" might get at a typical fighting game forum, the poor noob having tried that games's training mode knows that the game didnt explain the system and quits the game and forum in fustration

RFX regular#2: welcome to the RFX forums, the cockpunch move hits mid, as for the system of this game, we have all that info is this site cause the game only has movelists and hit points and doesnt explain the SYSTEM.

this is the nice response and hopefully the noob stayed this far and heard the actual truth
    --------------------------------------------------------------

now see the difference with VFDC, which i beleive is quite special cause the current game available in the USA is vf4:evo and that game has the only self service / learn by yourself extensive SYSTEM detailed tutorial mode of ANY fighting game.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VFDC forums:

(noob moved on from RFX and started playing VF4evo and found VFDC)

noob: hey was wondering, i play as akira and i wanted to know if his "super dashing elbow" move hits high or mid? and why can anyone escape my throws? can anyone explain the system of this game in detail?

2 possible replyes :

VFDC regular#1 : VF4evo has a training mode go play that you noob! GOSH!

a doubful response from VFDC's forums (looking down at noobs gets you a ban) but a possible one anyway. BUT in this case the asshole is right! but his way manners are all wrong. this is where most noobs get the wrong idea and having been burned before at other fighting game sites for telling him to go play and practice in training mode first, he beleives he wont find his answers in the game as suggested by the assholes, but righfully so because those games didnt have the answer anyway, since no fighting game till this day has that good of a training mode, except evo!

VFDC regular#2: welcome to the VFDC forums, the super dashing elbow move hits mid, as for the system of this game please refer to evo's training mode as that has everything you need, specially all the basics. we do have most of the basics stuff in our site anyway but for a better experience and for your own good the training in the game can help you a lot better than any of us can, cause seriously thas TOO basic to need a guide for when the game already has this.

the typical response from a VFDC user is to refer to the game, note this is the nice responce and the guy also told you in a nice manner to play the game and go on practice mode, same shit the asshole told you but with nicer words. some noobs mistake this as another asshole (somehow!) and dont pay attention because the reality is that most noobs dont know this game is SPECIAL, sega has done the greatest training mode ever conceived. the only things on vfdc that get discussed is the tips on how to execute commands in more detail and the other high level techniques that the game failed to explain in better words and even then the game explains the high level techniques anyway, we just go the extra mile in discussing its details.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supid wrote:

"I don't understand how you can be insulted by my former lack of access to a PS2; is my inability to get a PS2 and access the tutorials in VF4 PS2 a reason to classify me as someone unworthy of your aid? "

pretty much yes, because here in USA there are no arcades that have VFevo, and how are you going to apply that knowlege when someone asks you to test something on practice mode if you dont have the means?.

"Am I being looked down because I learn VF4 through the arcade? "

no, but you are in the very very minority as like i said before there are no arcades that have vf4 (veeeeery few)

finally noone wants to create a faq / for 3 people that reads:

vf4:evo guide for people that have no PS2, no vf4evo, no money and cant bother to go though training mode and are not a bit serious about this game.

-nuff said

18. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Supid, where do you live? Where is this FT machine that you play on located?

Living in NYC, I've met quite a few people that have learned how to play a fighting game in the arcade with no prior knowledge to fighting games. They also play without the use of a console to practice at home. After sometime, they became competent enough to give a good fight to anyone.

Beginners who had people to play against that coached them along the way get farther than those who practiced alone. Your best bet is to find other players at the arcade that can face off against and learn tips from.

If you have no one to play against, my advice to you is just play and try to get the most out of it.

19. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard Member

Some of the "rude" replies here just prompted me to post.

As a tekken player , when i read that theres the bounce combo stuff going on in VF5, there was some comments like "eeeew that's so TEKKEN and tekken is the suck i wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole".

And now here we are. Pro players who think they are damn cool just becuz they know VF inside out. They KNOW VF isn't the most popular series. YET they couldnt be bothered to teach newbs and expand the number of pple playing VF.

The Fcuking reason why pple want newbie guides is becuz they give a damn abt the game. Maybe they've tried the tutorial...but some stuff in the tutorials are quite hard to pull off for a newb.

Go live in your own fcuking world of VF leetness. And don't whine about the lack of good players or competition. And hey, maybe that's why VF isn't as popular in America as compared to Japan. Becuz maybe the pro players in Japan actually take time to teach the noobs and guide them. Not like some pple who think that just becuz they play good VF(good only in US standards) they can be rude to newbs.

And maybe that's why theres no VF 5 cabinets in USA.

Pros unwilling to teach newbs---> Lack of good players---> Existing players get bored cuz of lack of competition---> Less pple playing VF--->sega decides not to bring in VF 5 in USA ..

YAY!!!

20. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Hey. Why don't you go play Tekken or something.