1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lag, Fighting Underwater & Quicksand

Discussion in 'General' started by masterpo, Jun 5, 2021.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Sometimes , the laggy match is unavoidable. So to prevail during laggy matches a different fighting approach is often required.

Here are a few strategies:)

• Forget about the frame data
    • Forget about the combos
    • Forget about defensive evades
    • Forget about offensive evades
    • Forget about advantage, disadvantage & counter-hits

None of the normal techniques are dependable/reliable when you're underwater or in quick sand. Even your controller is not entirely reliable. To master fighting in laggy matches you have to develop a style of fighting made just for the lag. Remember you are not in a laggy match by yourself;) Your opponent's usual fighting techniques are also unreliable.

Here are a few strategies that are rumored to work underwater & in quicksand

• Mind games (while underwater, or in quicksand the psyche out, is more important than ever)
    • Focus on one hit at most two hit attacks
    • Zoning (master your characters move that create distance and close distance)
    • Seek out lag matches and connections and train in the lag, learn to expect the unexpected, become one with the lag
    • Understanding the match-ups are even more important any laggy matches (knowing what your opponent can't do in lag)
    • Buffer strings instead of combos
    • Change your opening moves to that are more lag friendly
    • Once a match (and only once) completely surprise your opponent
    • Whatever you do,. don't rage quit
    • Don't blame the lag if you lose. Remember , Player 1 and Player 2 are both experiencing lag:cool:

Yes, yes, yes we all want rollback netcode, we all need rollback netcode, we all want to petition for rollback netcode, but the fact of the matter is lag is here for the time being and it can strike at any time. I've learned to enjoy laggy matches. They allow me to see the game and matches in differently light. Now I spend 15% to 20% of my training time practicing for lag and fighting in laggy matches, and my lag fighting style is slowly improving:LOL:

True warriors fight anywhere and anytime, lag, or no lag, In the words of a famous warrior, always be prepared to:

"Crush your enemies, to see them driven from before you and to hear the lamentations of their women"

2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I think Darksydephil, would like to have a word with you on all of that.:p

masterpo likes this.
  3. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

When SFV has a much better netcode than a 2021 release game named "esport".

4. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    :ROTFL: I'm just sayin, if you find yourself in a match and it feels like you're in the Matrix you have some options:

• Immediately disconnect
    • Suffer through the match and then complain to the authorities
    • Rage quit if you're on the losing end of the match
    • Train yourself in Underwater Quicksand Kungfu and take it like a G

beanboy likes this.
  5. beanboy

All of a sudden I remember Dural in VF2, where you fight her in an underwater atlantis stage, where everything is in slowmo.:p

6. beanboy

Ahhh, I knew it would happen sooner than later. So now there are people around the net, and on livestream chat/youtube chat, complaining that there is too much lag in rollback.:rolleyes:

I mean anyone who understands how online connections work, have been saying that for years, but did anyone listen? Nope. Apparently, alot of people don't understand how technology works, but instead, let hype talk carry them along. Rollback might be one of many better options, over delayed base, but the important thing is, a consistent signal has always been the key, to having stable online matches. I could go more into this, but for now, I choose not to.

I'm curious to see if the gaming media, is going to have any intelligent articles about this. Or if they will of course ignore it, or as they always do, make a semi cheesy neutral stance article, and continue on with the netcode hype train, to look cool and gain viewers and readers.:p

VF5 US online might not be perfect, but I find it interesting, that some of the people around the net, who bashed VF5 US online, are now complaining about lag, and even lag glitches in certain fighting games, that support rollback netcode.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  7. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

VF5US online and netcode are embarassing.

It's not close of the level of Tekken 7, SoulCalibur 6, Dead or Alive 6. And these fighting games released first and don't even have rollback !

In these games, if you "abare" at -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9 -10 -15 -20 -30... YOU ARE ****ING DEAD ! Something normal ok ?

Cause their online/netcode is a lot more playable and allow it, to play like it's supposed to be played.

I've never seen more masher players in any other fighting games than VF. 80% of the players want to press EVERYTIME, they always want the lucky lag mash and the fake counter hit.

Everytime we have this stupid mind game of the lag, it's just so bad gameplay.

Virtua Frauders Ultimate Showdumb.

Some are really professionals of lag btw that's funny, they mash so hard and you can see they like that trash a lot lol...

When this fighting game will have a real solid online from 2022 era (that show ping and wifi as well), a lot of VFrauds will have a big surprise of what is a gameplay where you have to respect frames.

"Absorb netcode" you meen evade when i press 2p or 2k ? You mean jumping when i press 6p ? You mean impossible destag and impossible whif punish ? Yeah right, absorb my inputs than anything else...

I suspect VF5FS/VF5US being too old to be played online (old era, from PS3/360 days, the kinda start of online in gaming) ? Maybe the code of the game or the gameplay are just from another era, it was too dated to be played in the conditions like we have today like the newer fighting games. Sometimes FS/US feels like it shouldn't be played online. Maybe the frames are not well adjusted, and maybe they should add 1f or 2f of negative for this netcode/online.

But online is not the only problem, this same dated balancing of a 12 years old game is also a shame from SEGA. Every new version of VF5 had a rebalancing except VF5US.

"We didn't have time for rebalancing the cast (but we call it Ultimate Showdown lol) because of COVID"

What do you mean ? Every fighting games developers make balancing patches every 3 months ...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  8. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

....Fanboys!

beanboy and ShinyBrentford like this.