1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lasting appeal...VF or Tekken?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by egghead64, Apr 18, 2002.

1. egghead64

egghead64 Member

Another question from the eggman to the VF'ers in the free world. What game to you has the most replay value? Which one to you have you probably played up and down, back and forth, and still find something fresh about playing it.

Me personally, is always VF. I'm not kissing ass just because I'm on a VF site. I know that my common ground is Tekken. It's the first "3D" game that I learned to play, and I've been playing every one since it first was released. The first VF never caught my eye, even though it was pretty funny to watch someone play. (That damn Lau stomp had me laughing!)

Even though Tekken is my common ground, when VF 2 came out, out, I was thoroughly impressed. The speed, unpredictibility, the strategy, the sheer difficulty of this masterpiece always caught my eye. Even though I was knee-high in Tekken 2 at the time, VF 2 always made me look. I think it truly may have been through neglect, (Because I always had to travel to get to a VF machine, even today), but around here, and let's be real, in this day and age, at least %99.999998 of arcades have at least some incarnation of Tekken in it, so I blame a lot of that due to deprivation.

But let's be real, VF is one big game of chess. If I'm playing Tekken 1 thru 3, it's to see how fast I can win the Time Attack mode, because I know the CPU's moves that it uses and it's attack patterns. Come on, look at these horrendously low times,(Tekken 1, Jack, '0"59"80, Tekken 2, Alex/Roger, '2"08"24, Tekken 3, Heihachi '1"45"77) I spent 2 tokens on this shit? I mean, let's be real, we all want to win, that's what we play these 2 games for, but when it gets this easy it's a travesty. And vs. battles? Find yourself 3, 4 moves at the most, because that's all that are useful most of the times. Occasionally do one more than the other, (wash, rinse, repeat etc.) and there you go boys and girls, a strategy.

But since VF is a game that effectively mixes offense with defense, your too busy thinking and anticipating your next move, and hopefully not getting hit in the process. Like a real fight, hence the term "Fighting Simulator". But you know, I truly have to catch myself and be reminded that these are games, and I said lasting appeal, not gameplay strategies and systems, and that flash makes all the difference in fighting games, and games in general. I mean, what would you rather be playing? Weaponlord, (If anybody can remember this fighting game, which was rather good and is still good for it's time.) or Capcom vs. Snk? I rest my case.

But I just know that I've never kept any system for the sake of one game, well, ok I'm lying. But I've never wanted to keep my PSX forever for the sake of Tekken, even though PSX is far from dead. But my Saturn is never going anywhere for the sake of VF 2 and VF Kids, as much as I have to dust off and go inside of Saturn to see what the problem is, it's not going without a fight, all for the sake of VF 2. So to me, it's VF with the lasting appeal. I'll always go out of my way to play it, I still do it now. Every 2 weeks I'm hooking up with a couple buddies to play VF 3 arcade just for the hell of it, while Tekken 3 just sits off in the distance.

2. nosferatu

nosferatu Member

holy fuck...... Tekken 4 is the worst game ever....

i just bought it and i was QUITE looking forward to it.... but then when i started playing today... (beat the game using simple punch/kick combos in less than 20 minutes)my conclusion: what a waste of my fucking money, i went back to VF4 immediately.

3. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Well from what I understand, creativity and style are rewarded in VF, unlike Tekken... right?

Am I right folks?

Come on, tell me I'm right.

4. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

This was a stupid Thread =(, sorry. =)

5. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

Hey Egghead, you thought Weaponlord was a good game? Umm.. ok! That's cool. Did you ever play it on Xband? I did, what fun it was to hold the button and joypad manueveur.

6. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

both series are so great, they should not continuously be compared......

No Triple Lei, you are wrong ...
    Yes Blonde_one, this is a stupid thread ..

7. SPINMASTER X

SPINMASTER X Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SMX-001
    Hey bare_knuckle93 remember me? Your old pal from the IGN Fighting Boards!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

VF because of Kumite mode.

9. Devbinks

Devbinks Member

I say VF too. For some reason I just don't like Tekken.

10. SPINMASTER X

SPINMASTER X Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SMX-001
    Trust me, its no use to ask this at a VF site, you aren't gonna get any responses towards Tekken(especially not broken ass Tekken 4). Its better asked on a General Fighting Game board.

oh and I like both series equally.

11. Lion_210

Lion_210 Member

My opinion, Tekken has better characters (Yoshimitsu), VF has more fighting moves, Tekken has sweet graphics, VF has kumite, Tekken has.....Side Games (like Tekken Tag with the bowling thing), VF is much longer (kumite) more in-depth game.

12. Reijim

Reijim Member

oh wow...
    u think tekken is all about getting fast times against cpu...
    i prefer playing tekken against humans..

but since that's wat u and quite a few others think...
    suit yourself...

13. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I think VF4 wins on all counts, except maybe characters. They shouldn't have so many dull western style fighters (I think they should drop one charcter -- either Jacky, Sara, Wolf, or Jeffry).

Arcade-wise, Tekken 4 seriously lacks the graphically power that VF4 has to hang with it. Most Tekken 4 machines are dead in the arcades here.

14. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color=yellow>Trust me when I say this: because VF4 is presently PS2 exclusive, most of the people here with VF4 experience are going to have some, if not a lot of, Tekken experience since Tekken Tag was one of the launch games that accompanied PS2 in to the market place. They may, in fact, have more knowledge regarding Tekken than they do regarding the VF series. It's the people who have been Sega exclusive that will end up being the more narrow minded group, if that at all... I've found most people on this site to be pretty informed and actually quite accurate. The Tekken sites tend to be the ones filled with lurking trolls and hide chappers.</font color=yellow>

15. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Well, I'm one of the Sega exclusives (not really, but VF-exclusive mostly) with a bit of dabbling in other games. Mainly DOA3. I've never liked Tekken... from the first one on the PSX. It just never did anything for me.

16. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

"They shouldn't have so many dull western style fighters"

if they are using traditional fighting styles from around the world, what's the problem? if anything, their fighting style compliments each character's personnality which makes them the character they are..

i really could'nt imagen an asian suiting the prey manitis style better than lion, nor wrestling suiting better than wolf, remember that sega planned the fighting styles first, then brainstormed each character to suit each style, it seems okay to me..