1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Latest VF5FS Tier Lists

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 3, 2014.

By Myke on May 3, 2014 at 3:33 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Last month saw the release of a new Arcadia mook titled "Fighting Game REMIX" in which a number of fighting game titles are covered, including Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown. In this edition, the cover the latest tier list for VF5FS.

web_REMIX.jpg

Tier List
    As of 2014-04-18

SS: Akira
    S: Taka, Lion, Brad
    A: Jacky, Jean, Vanessa
    B: Goh, Shun, Wolf

(Large Gap)

C: Sarah, Kage, Lau
    D: El Blaze, Jeffry
    E: Aoi, Pai, Lei-Fei, Eileen

After four years is the "Final Answer" here?!
    Four years has elapsed with this game. With such a long time and so much strategy evolving, could this be the final ranking (?)

Points about some important characters
    There is a big gap between B and C rank. We will discuss some of the major points.

One of Akira's main points is his jumping ascending [K]. It whiffs lows, starts combos and defeats sabaki, and is a full circular that defeats evade. It is particularly powerful during sideturned with +6 where it is guaranteed on evadeCD, and at +9 on sideturned is guaranteed on evade.

For the characters in A rank compared to S rank there is not a large difference in their fighting abilities, but it is their basic abilities that attracts high praise. Amongst these is Taka, who was getting a lot of interest at the recent BT cup. While Taka can rely on throws and [4][P][+][K][P] against most characters, the opponent must concentrate on specific combos and untechable situations, focusing on the system side to fight Taka, so it is very difficult to have tactics against him. For people unfamiliar with Taka, he is more threatening than Akira.

Amongst A rank Jacky stands out. The reason that he has fallen in rank is that his options to overcome a guarding opponent are finite. His returns on throws are not that high, and when his high damage throws ([6]and [4]) are broken it leaves him sideturned. Choosing the right move to throw out is quite difficult, so while he may look like a simple character to play, the value in really dedicating yourself to him is difficult. Of course, against an opponent who lacks defensive skills he is S rank.

Amongst the lower ranks, Blaze and Sarah are well suited to tournaments, each with their attacking options from stances, and are fast so even against opponents adept at defence it can be tough. They are rarely used, and so they may be even more threatening than higher ranked characters if the opponent lacks match up experience. The other character who has ranked up is Jeffrey. His weight is high so damage inflicted is low, and his [P][+][K] and [1][K][+][G] one command moves are powerful.

Thanks to Unicorn for the tip, and noodalls for the translation!

Edit: Homestay Akira's Tier List
    Originally posted by Myke as a reply in this thread on Nov 23, 2016:

So here is Homestay's tier list:

S: Akira, Jacky
    A+: Goh, Lion, Taka
    A: Brad, Jean, Vanessa
    A-: Kage, Lau, Shun
    B: Aoi, Lei, Pai, Sarah
    C: Eileen, El Blaze, Jeffry, Wolf​

The only additional information provided was:
    1. Lion and Goh can be S rank if the player is really good.
    2. Taka is not considered S rank because while he is strong against some characters, he is still weak against others.

It sounded unlikely that we'll get a more fleshed-out explanation of why each character is where they are. If I do, I'll post it up, but don't hold your breath. Regardless of where your particular character lies on this, or the Arcadia, tier list I'm fairly certain there's a lot more work we can do to improve our own game.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Tricky, SUGATA, Pai~Chun and 5 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 3, 2014.

1. Cozby
      Cozby
      There isn't anything that much different from other tier lists, aside from the mention of LARGE GAP. We still don't know who's behind the tier list, and I can't seem to find anything. So, no comment.

Keep playing, and show others who/what you think is strong.
    2. Darksoul173
      Darksoul173
      I'm pretty sure Yanaga (one of the 3 best best Blaze players) is behind that list
      If it's just him.... i do not know and i don't think so
    3. BlueLink
      BlueLink
      Can someone explain to me how, Aoi, Pai and Eileen could possibly be the 3 worst characters in the game?
    4. Devdan
      Devdan
      Eileen is the lightest character in the game, doesn't have great damage, and doesn't bring any unique mixups to the table, so I can understand her being bottom. On the other hand, Aoi has always seemed like a good character to me, and she was probably the third most used character that I saw when I was in Tokyo. I know, personal experience, whatever, but people definitely used a crap-ton more than Eileen, Lei-Fei, or Jeffry. I had issues with her damage output when I tried using her, but I figured that was more of an 'I'm bad at the game' issue.
      BlueLink likes this.
    5. Zekiel
      Zekiel
      Im not surprised jacky went down. Y? Because he's easy to blow up with his basic mixups. You have to create your own mixups. Thats why some jacky players in japan just spam 6p. There to afraid of getting whiff punished cuz of all his highs.
      Dmg is what keeps him at A. Otherwise he be lower.
    6. SNAKE BOSS
      SNAKE BOSS
      Tier list is just a list. What matters more is the individual who is using that character and how they use that character. Vf is balanced enough to win with any character against any other character. Though I did find that it is harder to win with Lau against higher ranked characters on the list but I have done it plenty of times. So dont stop using your favorite characters even if they are considered low tier because I believe it is up to the individual and their play style that can earn them the wins and not the rankings of a tier list.
      Citrus and Zekiel like this.
    7. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      How does this suprise you and then you explain why he is "S" a few posts later? Wtf?
    8. 40i4
      40i4
      Look buddy, they are girls.. sitting whole day and dreaming about some ladylike prince on a white horse with a rose in a hand doesn't make anyone fighter.
      Putting make up on a face? nah.. such exercises are fake, and "karate kid" is a spoof, really dont trust in it i know what im talking. :p
      Let's face the true, Pai, Aoi, Eileen are not fighters.
      Look at Vanesa, that dude has power and look. He's alpha male and is long ahead (the 'a' group) of those girls ;)
    9. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      Please read :)
      I was surprised by Jacky being lower then Brad, not by Brads placement itself. I agree Brad is great, but I still believe Jacky is a bit better :p
    10. noodalls
      noodalls
      After four years is the "final answer" here?!
      Four years has elapsed with this game. With such a long time and so much strategy evolving, could this be the final ranking (?)
      Text - Yanaga.
      Points about some important characters
      There is a big gap between B and C rank. We will discuss some of the major poitns.

One of Akira's main points is his jumping ascending [K]. It whiffs lows, starts combos and defeats sabaki, and is a full circular that defeats evade. It is partcularly powerful during sideturned with +6 where it is guaranteed on evadeCD, and at +9 on sideturned is guaranteed on evade.

For the characters in A rank compared to S rank there is not a large difference in their fighting abilities, but it is their basic abilities that attracts high praise. Amongst these is Taka, who was getting a lot of interest at the recent BT cup. While Taka can rely on throws and [4] [P]+[K][P] against most characters, the opponent must concentrate on specific combos and untechable situations, focusing on the system side to fight Taka, so it is very difficult to have tactics against him. For people unfamiliar with Taka, he is more threatening than Akira.

Amongst A rank Jacky stands out. The reason that he has fallen in rank is that his options to overcome a guarding opponent are finite. His returns on throws are not that high, and when his high damage throws ([6] and [4]) are broken it leaves him sideturned. Choosing the right move to throw out is quite difficult, so while he may look like a simple character to play, the value in really dedicating yourself to him is difficult. Of course, against an opponent who lacks defensive skills he is S rank.

Amongst the lower ranks, Blaze and Sarah are well suited to tournaments, each with their attacking options from stances, and are fast so even against opponents adept at defence it can be tough. They are rarely used, and so they may be even more threatening than higher ranked characters if the opponent lacks match up experience. The other character who has ranked up is Jeffrey. His weight is high so damage inflicted is low, and his [P]+[K] and [1][K]+[G] one command moves are powerful.
      Last edited: May 5, 2014
    11. kingo
      kingo
      What ?! I didn't know Akira's jumping K was full circular...gosh.

Thanks for the translation noodalls !
    12. MAtteoJHDY
      MAtteoJHDY
      Thanks nodalls for the traslation
    13. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      In short.. S characters have guard breaks.. Jacky against good Defensive opponents struggles to crack guards.. He only best at creating CH.. GT said this before.. plenty of times.
      Last edited: May 5, 2014
    14. Jacky22
      Jacky22
      Akiras jumping K is full circular ???o_O
    15. Chibitox
      Chibitox
      It's not full circular. Try it in dojo you can evade it easily.
      But there are instances where you cannot evade it like some of the ones he metionned. Just like most of chars jumping attacks in the same situations I guess. It was explained on af2c blog (is that the correct name ?) I think I rememeber seeing a discussion about it here.
      It's just that Akira gets pretty good damage from it where most of the cast don't.
    16. Kruza
      Kruza
      Indeed, Chibitox. If I can recall, Akira is the only character who can combo off of an ascending normal jump attack (jump asc. [K]).

Plus it became a lethal move for Akira players who are able to time the ascending jump kick to land whenever they anticipate their opponent doing a tech roll after being knocked down. It's a great pressure tool for sure.

Kruza
    17. Cozby
      Cozby
      Dis right here. K+GK unblockable and throws are all he has. Not the scariest stuff.
      SDS_Overfiend1 likes this.
    18. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      Yeah, tekken-style jump kick :D

I think it is not PK but something else (one command moves) but I can not guess which move it is..? Also, is it 1k+g or 3k+g? If I may ask :)
      Last edited: May 4, 2014
    19. erdraug
      erdraug
    20. G_A
      G_A
      Well, Brad has a guard break but to rely on it... even Jacky K+GK is far more reliable (but does less damage for sure).
      Same could be said about Taka, his guard break is readable. That said, his throw options are subpar, unlike Brad. Jacky throws are correct. But on the side that doesn't make much importance.

Now we can't ignore all the other advantages Jacky has. Lion has a guard break but can take tons of damages.

Too bad they didn't make a more detailed description about the tier list, I am wondering how they decided to judge Vaness and why Aoi fell so much.