1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Latest VF5FS Tier Lists

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 3, 2014.

By Myke on May 3, 2014 at 3:33 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Last month saw the release of a new Arcadia mook titled "Fighting Game REMIX" in which a number of fighting game titles are covered, including Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown. In this edition, the cover the latest tier list for VF5FS.

web_REMIX.jpg

Tier List
    As of 2014-04-18

SS: Akira
    S: Taka, Lion, Brad
    A: Jacky, Jean, Vanessa
    B: Goh, Shun, Wolf

(Large Gap)

C: Sarah, Kage, Lau
    D: El Blaze, Jeffry
    E: Aoi, Pai, Lei-Fei, Eileen

After four years is the "Final Answer" here?!
    Four years has elapsed with this game. With such a long time and so much strategy evolving, could this be the final ranking (?)

Points about some important characters
    There is a big gap between B and C rank. We will discuss some of the major points.

One of Akira's main points is his jumping ascending [K]. It whiffs lows, starts combos and defeats sabaki, and is a full circular that defeats evade. It is particularly powerful during sideturned with +6 where it is guaranteed on evadeCD, and at +9 on sideturned is guaranteed on evade.

For the characters in A rank compared to S rank there is not a large difference in their fighting abilities, but it is their basic abilities that attracts high praise. Amongst these is Taka, who was getting a lot of interest at the recent BT cup. While Taka can rely on throws and [4][P][+][K][P] against most characters, the opponent must concentrate on specific combos and untechable situations, focusing on the system side to fight Taka, so it is very difficult to have tactics against him. For people unfamiliar with Taka, he is more threatening than Akira.

Amongst A rank Jacky stands out. The reason that he has fallen in rank is that his options to overcome a guarding opponent are finite. His returns on throws are not that high, and when his high damage throws ([6]and [4]) are broken it leaves him sideturned. Choosing the right move to throw out is quite difficult, so while he may look like a simple character to play, the value in really dedicating yourself to him is difficult. Of course, against an opponent who lacks defensive skills he is S rank.

Amongst the lower ranks, Blaze and Sarah are well suited to tournaments, each with their attacking options from stances, and are fast so even against opponents adept at defence it can be tough. They are rarely used, and so they may be even more threatening than higher ranked characters if the opponent lacks match up experience. The other character who has ranked up is Jeffrey. His weight is high so damage inflicted is low, and his [P][+][K] and [1][K][+][G] one command moves are powerful.

Thanks to Unicorn for the tip, and noodalls for the translation!

Edit: Homestay Akira's Tier List
    Originally posted by Myke as a reply in this thread on Nov 23, 2016:

So here is Homestay's tier list:

S: Akira, Jacky
    A+: Goh, Lion, Taka
    A: Brad, Jean, Vanessa
    A-: Kage, Lau, Shun
    B: Aoi, Lei, Pai, Sarah
    C: Eileen, El Blaze, Jeffry, Wolf​

The only additional information provided was:
    1. Lion and Goh can be S rank if the player is really good.
    2. Taka is not considered S rank because while he is strong against some characters, he is still weak against others.

It sounded unlikely that we'll get a more fleshed-out explanation of why each character is where they are. If I do, I'll post it up, but don't hold your breath. Regardless of where your particular character lies on this, or the Arcadia, tier list I'm fairly certain there's a lot more work we can do to improve our own game.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Tricky, SUGATA, Pai~Chun and 5 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 3, 2014.

1. ShaolinMonk
      ShaolinMonk
      Sales just reflect how many people get excited over a new VF game. How many people have gone out of there way to purchase Virtua Fighter. I never suggested they impact the game's balance, but it's balancing doesn't help sales, I did suggest that.

But hey, you were twisting context to discredit me. I get it.

I'm not going to sit and argue over the quality of Virtua Fighter with a bunch of die-hard VF players... lol. The game speaks for itself. But it is wrong of me to come into your little bubble of the Fighter world, and try to shed some light of truth on it.

That was rude of me.

And IF YOU NEVER MAKE CONTACT, you should not SCORE DAMAGE... Don't play dumb, the physics engine is cheap, because these games are projected to make no more than 600k each... We are SO done here. (y)
    2. Stl_Tim
      Stl_Tim
      1P Myke: Excellent!

2P: Shaolin: D/C..

I’m listening!!

Jyunen hayaindaiyo! ✅
    3. GustavoHeisenberg
      GustavoHeisenberg
      Dude come on, the strength of VF is obvious but presentation is lacking compared to the juggernaughts (Tekken and Street Fighter) which are both more marketable and better in subtle ways. Yoshinori respects VF by the way yet obviously understands its flaws and doesn't wish to clone it.

The "balance" in VF is difficult to understand for newbies and neither does it make the game flashy - so it doesn't win converts.
    4. ShaolinMonk
      ShaolinMonk
      The balance in VF is easy to understand when you have played every fighter franchise going back to the SNES... From the titans like Tekken and Soul Calibur, to the absolute oddities like DOA, Guilty Gear, King of Fighters, even Ehrgeiz.

Fighting games are my JAM, always have been.

Virtua Fighter's strength is obvious to me. It's an Arcade Brawler. It doesn't have the depth and precision of a game like Tekken, 10-12 hit combos, 4-button comboing, MASSIVE command lists, tons of characters, good story. NONE of that really matters in the Arcades... People want to drop a coin and have fun. VF is HAND MADE for this style of play.

Let me try to break it down real simple.
      1. Low Budget (based directly on past sales, nothing else)
      2. Sub-par engine and mechanics
      3. Imbalanced characters (again, doesn't really matter in Arcades, it's a Brawler, not a precision fighter)
      4. Cheesy character dialogue and lack of story (All of the above is a direct result of the BUDGET)
      5. Simplistic button layout, and as a direct result, simple comboing commands (not to mention limited comboing)

Need I really go on into the nit-picky stuff?

You probably made the honest mistake of assuming I didn't take the time on every character, or didn't play VF3, or 4.... Honest mistake. When you've been nose-deep in fighters since 1992, it's not that hard to get a feel for any fighter you pick up. VF5:FS is an awkward, clumsy, cheap POS. The rest of the consumer base seems to agree.
      Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    5. ShinyBrentford
      ShinyBrentford
      Tricky likes this.
    6. ShaolinMonk
      ShaolinMonk
      Clever retort. you've really made some fine points here in Vf's defense. You know, maybe the fighter community as a whole IS wrong, and the few hundred-thousand people buying VF titles have been right all along...

[​IMG] .

Yeah... that's gotta be it.
    7. GustavoHeisenberg
      GustavoHeisenberg
      The troll is strong in this one
      Combolammas and Tricky like this.
    8. ShinyBrentford
      ShinyBrentford
      [​IMG]
      Tricky likes this.
    9. ShaolinMonk
      ShaolinMonk
      Virtua Fighter is just an easy target... It's like trying to say Minecraft is a deep, intellectual RPG that is superior to others in the genre like Skyrim, or Final Fantasy.

You can believe whatever you want, it's subjective at the end of the day. Most people will just ask that you try to be humble... Don't have the audacity to insult people's intelligence with some "Virtua Fighter is insanely deep and complex," bullshit.

[​IMG]

Most of you are on Virtua Fighter because it's the one game you could master. The one game where you can execute combos in full. The only game where not blocking is a viable option. VF's reputation is a safe haven for Tekken and Soul Cal. rejects.
    10. Oioron
      Oioron
      So are you asking us to be humble and to not insult your intelligence?

Then you proceed to be arrogant and insult our intelligence?

Please explain, I want to make sure I get what you're saying since I don't want to insult you. And please simplify since I may not have the mental capacity to keep up.
      Combolammas and Tricky like this.
    11. ShinyBrentford
      ShinyBrentford
      [​IMG]
    12. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      He's still going? I thought Myke banished him to the shadow realm using powers of logic and reason.

Anyway, do people believe this tier list is still valid? Would your own list be different now? Why?
      Tricky likes this.
    13. Tricky
      Tricky
      I’d make my own list.
    14. kungfusmurf
      kungfusmurf
      To ShaolinMonk:

Look kid, no one here is forcing you to play the scrubiest version of VF until VF6 is out. It's obvious things aren't going your way & making excuses is your thing. But in case I'm wrong which happens a lot here. I hope you're not a virgin or just needs to get laid a lot more.
      Jason Elbow likes this.
    15. XxNoriakixX
      XxNoriakixX
      Haven't taken a look at this forum in a long time but seriously. Someone must be really salty to sign up on THE western site for VF to rant about the game and the player base.

Also, Tekken and a good story. Next thing would be that Tekken has good character designs? The first fighter I quit because every character design is bad, especially in 7 now that Bruce and other fan favs were replaced by even more anime characters and season passes for "free" legacy characters.

But I just wanted to say that newcomers to VF who are reading this should not think too much about tiers. Aoi can step on you just as hard as the Akira tiers and she, Lion and Akira will always be my favourites.
      -nero- and Myke like this.
    16. Terracrush
      Terracrush
      When you have top players like Valle and Wong ( well he did play it for a bit) saying how they find the game difficult. Guys that were fairly well versed in a fighting games in general saying that, I think it speaks for itself. I think any further discussion on this matter is just giving unwanted attention. This thread is old and the list at this point in FS lifespan and changed considerably considering that guys like Homestay give a different tier list. I recommend this thread to be closed.
      ShinyBrentford likes this.
    17. Tricky
      Tricky
      Where is Homestay's tier list?
    18. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      2D fighting games are pretty different to 3D ones.
      2D fighting games are pretty different to 3D ones. Don't see why the opinions of Valle and Wong mean anything or are worth mentioning. This list is old, but so is the game, and for what it's worth, the japanese players I have talked to have pretty similar opinions to this list. Is Homestays list very different or something?
    19. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      They've all said Akira is clear top. Taka is teef. Jacky is Jacky is strong unless opponent defends very well. Lion and Brad also very good. This top 5 doesn't seem to change at all. Similarly Lei-Fei and Eileen have been 2 of the bottom 3 in the opinions of everyone i've spoken to.
      only big difference with this one here is Jacky isn't in the tier below Akira.

The amount of tiers seems to me to be more important than the letters used as it's an expression of how close or far apart the list maker feels characters are. Personally i think the spread in FS is quite big for a VF game. Definitely more so than Vanilla ver C. For a fighting game in general though? It's about average.
    20. Myke
      Myke
      Tricky likes this.