1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lau move help

Discussion in 'Lau' started by Shoju, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

[2_][4][6][P] I just can't seem to do this move with Lau. Akira has the same command on his double palm thrust and I can do that easily (is there some kind of difference?) I've tried all the training tools and Im sure Im doing it right. No advice comes up in the advice box either. I can do nearly every difficult move in the game but I can't this at all and Im using a good Hori stick as well

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    For some reason, the timing requirement on this is much stricter than Akira's. You just have to do it fast.

Looking at the inputs on 1/60sec site:

Akira: (crouching)((46P)(10))(19)

You have 19 frames to start the input (from crouch) which then must be completed in 10 frames.

Lau: (crouching)((46P)(19))(6)

You only have 6 frames to start the input (from crouch) which then must be completed in 19 frames.

As you can see, Akira's input window from the crouch is approximately 3 times larger than Lau's. So, yeah, once in the crouch, do it fast.

3. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Try modifying from a back CD (ie [1][1][4][6][P])...you might save some frames this way over [3][3][4][6] since from [1] to [4] is closer than from [3] to [4]. I have notoriously slow hands & modifying this move from a back CD is a cinch for me. Good luck.

4. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

Thanks. Im gonna try according to those gudidelines. Im using Lau as my second main character so I don't want to leave any useful moves out no matter how difficult they are. In the game repalys I noticed the Lau player Professor (who is he?) was using this move to punish whiffed attacks which must take complete mastery of the move I guess.

Sanjuro I really like that avatar. Where's it from? Yojimbo? Seven Samurai?

5. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Hey...no problem. On those replays, check out what Lau is doing BEFORE his opponent's move whiffs. If he's doing something like [6][P][P] then CD'ing back quickly, most likely he's setting his opponent up to whiff his move so he can punish with the doublepalm. This is a good weapon for Lau & you can follow with your staple flop combo followups (open stance [P][4][P][P] or the harder/less reliable [P][P][P][K] & closed stance [2][P][2_][3][P][3][P]+[K]) for lovely damage. Have a ball!

Oh. The sneering Mifune is from either Yojimbo or Sanjuro, though my guess is the latter since he didn't sneer so much indoors in Yojimbo.

6. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

I looked again and yes he was doing it nearly allways from CD back. That explains it, he was as you say setting them up to whiff and buffering in the move rather than doing it in an instant on reaction.

I can do it myself now from CD and buffered in after
    [2][P] so thanks. Don't think Lau is often discussed that much so any help is appreciated.

One more thing, how significant is the loss of Lau's low kick cancel? With all his nice new stuff it seems a shame this was taken out but how good a replacement is the new low kick to punch combo?