1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lau Question?

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Guest, Mar 2, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Having trouble with Lau's MAIN float combo:
    b, b, f+P, d+P/I try to do the d+P right after the f+P, but it seems to be too late...Any suggestions? Is there any other float combos that can be followed by other combos[Lau only of course]?

All comments appriciated!

--Master Wong--

2. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

What are you trying to do?

I haven't the foggiest idea of what you're trying to do.

b,b,f+P? - would this not yield an elbow? And following this with d+P would only result in a low punch.

My assumption is that you're trying to pull off bb+P,d+P. Lau's TA-Palm, TT-downknife? One major hurdle for most trying this sequence is failure to return the joystick to neutral in between the bb+P and the d+P. Slow the motions down to give yourself a good idea of the 'clean' input and then speed it up gradually.

If you want Lau float combos - his best starter, imo, is the UpKnife (UpKn) DF+P. This can also be blended of course into superknife (SpKn) as DF+P,df+P+K. The UpKn will float your opponents (on a counter) making it easy to land df+PPPK (light) or df+PPPd+K. It's important to remember that the first punch immediately following the UpKn recovers faster than the UpKn on its own. So, UpKn-P is really the way to go and then follow up the float with [df]PPPK or [df]PPPd+K. I included the [df] as an option to either start your PPPK with a normal punch or the downknife (df+P). If you've got your modification movements down well (df,DF) a great looking combo lifted from the VF2 days is: UpKn-P, m-UpKn-PPPd+K. This can be done on light-mid characters on flat ground.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Having trouble with Lau's MAIN float combo:
    b, b, f+P, d+P/I try to do the d+P right after the f+P, but it seems to be too late...Any suggestions?

Uhh, b, b, f+P, d+P? I'm not aware of any such thing. The b,b,f+P will just give you Lau's standing/single palm (and that's just b,f+P).

However, if you mean Lau's b,b+P -> d+P then enter the d+P during, and not after, the animation of the b,b+P.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

to quote clopin -

"this is a simple case of read-the-movelist-carefully"

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: What are you trying to do?

Yes, that is what I meant: b b+P, d+P then apply any d/fPPP+K, PPP+d+K, etc., etc.! Sorry for the screw up. I think You and Mike have cleared it up for me. First I need to return the stick to a neutral position and then continue the d+P as Lau is doing the b b+P. Thanks for the input!

--Master Wong--

6. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

a bit more Lau coolness...

I was messing around with Lau on the Dreamcast today - this thread kinda gave me the craving to play after quite a long hiatus.(since T2K)

Some cool sequences I thought might be nice for you to try out:

1) Against Taka: UpKn-P (float), four sweeps. pretty neat. in commands - DF+PP, d+KK,d+K,d+K+G.
    2) Mid characters like Akira and Jacky (this one is Gamest) bb+P,d+P, bb+Pd+PPPd+K.
    3) Old one from VF3ob that still is cool: UpKn-SpKn, m-Upkn-Pb+Pf+P, stomp.
    4) Light characters with major counter: bb+P,d+P, m-UpKn-SpKn, pounce (not sure if the pounce is guaranteed)
    5) another oldie - UpKn-Spkn, m-UpKn-Spkn, PPPd+K - needs downhill slope and a light character.

Happy Lau-ing.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: a bit more Lau coolness...

I printed out your thread and I'll try them tonight...Thanks! One more question though. Is [PPP]+(ub+K) a good combo? It feel like half of the time I use the ub+K does not connect. I know that changing your fight patterns is one of the keys to a good player, but I feel that this particular kick leaves my Lau vulnerable to an extent. Any thoughts?

--Master Wong--

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: a bit more Lau coolness...

There's a similar combo against Taka:

uramawari -> b,b+P, d+P -> four sweeps

Nice looking.

<b>ice-9 | Sennin</b>

9. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Uramawari

ice ice baby, you left out one important thing.
    how to achieve the uramawari..

I've gotten it fairly consistently with Lau's uf+K
    and then dodging but honestly I know that at a certain
    level I'm just mashing and hoping. I would not mind
    knowing for real.

Has anyone done this Shun Uramawari? P+G throw, bb+P, uf+E.
    This is taken directly from the DC Mook (without translating
    any of the Kanji) so I'm unsure of the requirements but I assume
    you need your opponent to roll forwards.

Wolf Ura (from Mook again):d+P+K+G low throw, E into shoulder ram
    (b, f+P. There are a few requirements one of which seems to be
    a quick dash ("quick foot") on your part before the E.

Sorry, this post is last minute so I can't do any better on the
    translation (that would take too long anyway and make my brain
    hurt). Still, you people with an arcade unit or a DC can try
    it out at your leisure.

GE

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: Uramawari

the low throw ura setup you described also works for his alternate side throw (f,b or b,f+P+G).

-Gortek the Pervert, who thinks playing on a bugged out tb is probably a good simulation of lsd. and acid + bugged out tb = ?

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

GE, much of uramawari comes from "feeling". I honestly don't have very many sequences memorized for ura...most of it is running in, QD, QD and Eing to the head. It's sometimes a bit tougher against Taka since he's so big...

<b>ice-9 | Sennin</b>

12. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Thanks for the translations GodEater. I, too, wouldn't mind knowing the real deal when it comes to Ura. Ice-9 claims it to be a "feeling", but I think that there's something particular in the engine which makes Ura possible that needs to be understood first. If you can generalise the pre-condition, then your chances for successful Ura increase if the situation is right. I hate memorising a whole set of special-cases, and if that's what Ura is all about, then I won't bother pursuing it any further than say one or two set-pieces.

Without going into specifics for Ura (because I don't know any), I've noticed one, or more, of the following during a successful application:

- Opponent is laying down in a Head-Towards position
    - Dodging in the direction of the prone or siderolling opponent's head
    - Perform an attack overlapping the prone opponent

This probably isn't news to anyone, but I'd really like to keep the ball rolling on the topic of Ura.

While knowing what to do is important, I think knowing when to do it is crucial. When your opponent starts delaying the way they rise and/or attack, the timing of your Ura becomes everything. I guess that's where the "feeling" comes in.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

13. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

::While knowing what to do is important, I think knowing when to do it is crucial. When your opponent starts delaying the way they rise and/or attack, the timing of your Ura becomes everything. I guess that's where the "feeling" comes in.::

Very funny story about Ura. Lau is apparantly Ura king. I made my opponent
    rise wrong two times without doing anything special. Once, all I was doing
    was dashing forward. Furthermore...was playing the CPU (ugh)and Lau high
    pounced me and then I rose with my back turned. Figure that out. CPU Lau
    must have had "feelings" all over the place.

Ice: I totally believe that you have a feeling for when to practice Ura
    but you must (you must, Ice, you must) admit that there *are* certain
    conditions that must usually be satisfied before Uramawari can be
    accomplished. Kipping up (E, E, E) can usually destroy any Ura attempt.

Jeff Ura: P+G throw, roll back towards the opponent, E towards the head.
    Jeff Ura: f+P+G throw, low kick, E
    Shun Ura: b+P+G throw, roll back towards the opponent, uf+E
    Wolf Ura: df+P+G throw, E, bf+P
    Wolf Ura: df+P+K, run over opponent, E
    Taka Ura: P+G throw, D f+P

These are all the *mechanics* (inputs) for the Ura's I know and have
    done. All of the conditions are not totally known to me, so sometimes
    I get it and sometimes I don't. I usually end up in the better
    situation though since the opponent is usually trying hard not to rise
    all buggered up.

GE