1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lau talk

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by nidopal, Oct 23, 2001.

1. nidopal

nidopal Member

After seeing the success of the Pai thread last week I've decided to try to get some Lau discussion going. I've only played Lau in the test version a few months ago, but I liked what I saw. His f+P, b, f+P from VF3 had been simplified to f+P, P. Also, his d/f+K, f+P, b, f+P had also been simplified to d/f+K, P, P. I remember during one match where I started the round off with this move and was startled that I pulled it off so smoothly (thinking the command was still the VF3 command).

I guess what I want to know is what are Lau's strengths now? I know he has a new elbow (d+P+K), but how useful is that? What are his high priority moves? What are his flowcharts like? I guess I just want to get some strategy discussion going. Anyone care to join in?

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

All the lau's in the movies we see use the exact same moves he's always used in VF3... so I feel like I can say one or two things on him... Actually, I dunno where you're at with Lau so maybe I'll hold off. I guess you know his upknife is one of his most useful tool, and you should usually follow it with a punch (D/F+P, P) to lessen the risk of using it. His b,b+P, d+P,P,P,d+K combo was weakened a bit I've heard, it doesn't hit in combos as well because the b,b+P doesn't get you such a huge float apparently. I think if you hit with the first b,b+P that the rest of the combo is very, very likely to connect.
    For the P,b+P,f+P combo, you can't delay the second punch much, but if you get opponents used to seeing P(G), P(G) all day, you can occasionally surprise them with an unexpected P, b+P (with the b+P interrupting their attack). In three this was kinda eehhh not that great. From what I've seen of 4, though, it's neat because it floats the opponent high enough for a TT d+P,P,P,d+K ... decent damage, and the move might or might not be that risky in 4. Maybe play around with it and see. It's stylish in any case.
    With regards to the elbow palm, it's always seemed to me that it's overrated. Lau players would throw the palm out automatically whenever they used an elbow. Most other characters use an elbow in the hopes of getting a stagger, and you should too. It's the ultimate flowchart starter. From there I'd try this:
    d/f, D/F .... (crouch dash) then
    if you think they are struggling and are going to try to guard, press P+G. Apparently VF4 allows you to delay d/f, d/f+P+G throws for a long time now, long enough to crouch dash close and then grab.

If they get used to the throw and you think they will try an attack next time, try d/f, D/F... then unleash an upknife+P. If it hits with a float, continue on into the PPPsweep combo. If it hits but doesn't float, just add the PPP and you will have done a decent chunk of damage at least.

Finally, after his b,f+P you can get combos from the leg flop animation. This includes stumbling trip, b,f+P, then whatever. I've see P,b+P, f+P. I've also heard of multiple low kicks. Any other low hitting move might succeed, even something like u/b+K. It's something to mess with.

I've heard on IRC that a good followup to d+P+K is to try elbow-palm
    ----
    hope that helps. If it doesn't, it's probably because the US has taken forever to get VF4.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

3. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Watch a few VF3 movies of Lau if you can find them. Essentially Lau is one of the best blended characters of VF2/VF3.

In VF3/4

Use elbow palm, use his upknife, single p, d+p (these are his staple moves) look for MC for throw/attack games after the single p and d+p

upknife combo, or bb+p combo after a float

stick in low kick, and f, d+k, mix in f+pg, b+pg, and b, d+pg and you have a very competative lau.

CrewNYC.

[​IMG]

4. RedQueen

RedQueen Well-Known Member

if your lau is not going *slap slap slap* or "orrhh yeahh oorrr yeaah" all the time, then something is seriously wrong happening.... ^_^

~ Insert Name Here has been seriously injured but the soul still burns ~

5. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

All the moves you've just listed doesn't work in VF4
    anymore. His elbow/palm recovers way too slow now and b,bp
    combo doesn't connect OTB anymore.

His new move fp+k is quite useful, If MC, downknife combo
    connects. bp+k floats on MC, but its a high-level attack.

6. Akira Taniguchi

Akira Taniguchi Well-Known Member

Basically all I can say is smother, smother and smother. Lau's strongest point is up close and don't let the opponent do anything. Use a lot of mid and low attacks mixing it up to confuse the other guy. Try mixing f+pp, df+kpp,df+ppk, d+p+k and d+p. Just be creative and tricky and most of all aggresive. But don't attack all the time, use delay moves and try throw especially the b d+p+g. You can do a lot of damage after that throw.

Always a great feeling to defeat a worthy opponent!

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

The only two things I could contribute are:

- P+K, Lau's hadoken double palm. It's chargeable and Lau leans way back before he attacks. Looks like a good move to use offensively/defensively. When you break a block you have major advantage, initiate the guessing game.

- Use WS+K after tech rolling. After you TR you recover low so you can just press the K. It comes out quick and is somewhat safe and fairly damaging.

8. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

Precisely what I did. I was fooling around with Lau at Yishun when this young beardless boy sat down and challenged me. Well, it was kinda rude 'cus I was just fooling around. As with any beardless youth, he used Jacky. Oh well, I let him trash me under 6 seconds the first round. Then, the f+PP and all the moves you described came. It was shit to him. Set myself to go down on the ground. He tried to pounce me to death as with any ego bruiser newbie Jacky. This set up a TR which helped get me up and UpKn him to a flying end /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Well, he just banged up the buttons and left in a haste. Watch out if some old foggy is playing VF /versus/images/icons/cool.gif. Huh! rude beardless youths.

Seriously, the key to Lau playing is giving people zero space. Like the heavies Wolf and Jeffry but faster punching. Use mainly the throws which allow you to follow-up with his foot stomp. I'm not a Lau expert but if you have an aggressive style of play, you are on your way to mastering Lau.

Chia Jin Ngee
    ...we live in the Age of Bacteria - Stephen Jay Gould

9. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Excellent reply Jin Ngee~!
    Lau is deadly when he zooms in with the damn ppps n delayed kicks~ esp giving ppl zero space ( I know there are many lau players out there..I'm only trying to reiterate his point for VF newbies that are reading this post)

Aiya...young kids nowadays in SG still acting like that?
    shame.

U still stuck playing the CPU at Yishun? ( kinda like training in a cave for ten yrs and coming out to conquer ppl when training is finished)

<font color=red>~~~ ' IRC
    I Repeat Classes!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

10. nidopal

nidopal Member

Hmm, just tried to post, but wasn't able to. Anyway...

Thanks for the great replies guys. What's the best way to handle reverse-crazy Aoi players. I heard that it is now easier for her to reverse high/mid attack because of the changes to the reversal system. Would it be best to stick with throws and P+K with her (she can't reverse that right?)?

Also, what about the modified upknife? I've had trouble getting this to work in tb. Is it easier to do in VF4. I imagine it would be with the more "dramatic" (longer?) CD's.

11. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I have to tell u this...in terms of VF terminology...I kinda suck at it...BIG TIME~

I never read a FAQ or anything..

chances are..I can do a modified up knife..but dunno how to tell u..sorry~

But I can tell u this..CD is WAY easier in 4...even my friend who could not do more than 2 steps of KS can CD kinda effortless in VF4

So a CD up knife is EXTREMELY EASY~!

<font color=red>~~~ ' IRC
    I Repeat Classes!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

12. Crew Wolf

Crew Wolf Active Member

Sorry, wanted to come back the the elbow palm. It really is much slower in recovery? So would anything be guaranteed after a blocked palm? I used to try to roll my giant swing under the palm in VF3, and got it out every now and then, but if the recovery window in 4 is bigger, perhaps my percentage would go up...

Ultimately, we're all dead men, sadly we cannot choose how, BUT we can decide how we meet that end in order that we are remembered as men.

13. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Well I see alot of lau players still using elbow palm in the movies, use bb+p combo after you float the guy, it doesnt always need to be OTB. single p, and d+p are just plain good moves to use with anyone with a fast punch.

I never played VF4 Lau i'd like to give you better advice, but i'm going with what I knew worked for me in VF3tb.

CrewNYC

[​IMG]

14. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

well the only thing i can add is from playing against shota in 4.
    Now shota doesn't have a very complicated lau like Myke does, but it is basic and effective. One thing i do notice is his f+p,b->f+p still is a pain if you don't dodge from it quickly. low punch does pause it but recovery seems quick.
    with lion/shun, they dodge quickly and after dodging the b->f+p, he was a sitting duck for throw/attack.
    His combos are still powerful. I initially thought lau was slower now than in 3, but that was against scrubs. Shota figuring stuff out told me different. d/f,d/f+p combo, bb+p combos, and a few others i don't know the moves for were strong,especially with the longer float. oh, and wall / quick get ups, damn, you just hear slapping going on.
    I'll have to see what else works and doesn't
    later,

KUti,

eat-stino

__-___---____

15. Buzzard2

Buzzard2 Well-Known Member

I've been practicing as Lau (on old, archaic VF 1 w/out human opponents) and I dunno what to do. I can't win w/out continuing at least once! (Either on Wolf or on Lau) Wolf just beats me down cuz of the Giant Swing, but Lau just...beats me...down..because...he just...does. Help!!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://anyrpg.topcities.com>Fighter's Destiny</A>, a Virtua Fighter RPG.

16. nidopal

nidopal Member

Anyone know if Lau's UpKnP, G, DnKnP rush is still and effective strategy in VF4? I started using this while playing the CPU (most of my friends don't play VF) in tb last night and found it pretty effective.

17. Clumsy_Mohel

Clumsy_Mohel Member

One particular combo that I use with Lau is b+P+K, P. It is definately one of Lau's fastest moves, faster than b+P, K, and works great as an opener. Also, f+P+K is really great against people who like to open on the offensive. It ducks high blows, and if connected as a counter, causes the opponent to grab their stomach and fall to the ground, allowing a lot of time for a follow-up combo.