1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

League Tournament @ Game Focus, London UK

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by steve_dynamic, Jun 13, 2003.

1. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

uh, what sarah player doesn't use the flamingo? /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

it's leik in her m-list.... mr. pai butokai stance abuser, XD.

EDIT: archangel is the pai "friend" i showed up with just to disclaim..

2. steve_dynamic

steve_dynamic Well-Known Member

How you u ppl feel about the new bounty feature? Do you think it will work? Is there anything that can be improved in the tournament?

3. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

what's the bounty feature? /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i'm probably not gonna like it seeing as i'm second place right now,..

4. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

sounds kinda stupid to me, dont see why the top people should work harder, she be down to the people bellow them to catch up.

5. steve_dynamic

You will be able to get these extra points by beating the three top players of the league in the matchup. So you will not only get the points for winning the match but also the bounty points, making it a maximum of 6 points per win.

These top players will not be able to earn bounty points, so they will need to word harder to stay top of their positions. Of course, if they are that good, they don't need to worry...

Its suppose to give the underdogs a reward for beating a top player. We'll see if the system works by implimenting it for the day. Its easily removed if it can be easily abused.

6. archangel

Well say if u beat the top guy 10 times and the top goy then goes on to win like 25 matches and somehow the person who beat him 10 times ends up on top, aint that unfair.

7. steve_dynamic

But then he'll have the bounty on his head in the next tournament and you can claim bonus points if you beat him.

I'll see if people like Ryan Hart, Daisuke, etc can abuse the system like that cause they are the only ones who can take over using bonus points.

8. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

completely off topic:

u putting smash bros in the next tourney event? that would be sweet^^ ...

9. archangel

sweet more like 2 easy /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. steve_dynamic

Smash Bros, when it becomes a weekly tournament.

11. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

Not that it's going to make any difference, but my pal and I are now booked-up to come down to London on Saturday August 23rd - Sunday 24th. Would be fantastic if there was a Game Focus event (or similar) on that weekend. Too early to say Steve?

Failing that, would be good to get in some arcade play against some of the London crew when I'm down.

12. steve_dynamic

Yeah just a tad early. Need to find out this week if I have a weekly gig for these league tournaments, in which case it will be every week.

What I do want to encourage is a northen setup at an independant shop or youth club, so we can have north/south battles...

13. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

Weekly events would be good, as I'm down in London quite a bit.

Funny you should mention a northern gaming club, as a workmate and I have recently been toying with the idea of setting something up in the Fife/Edinburgh area. Scotland V England videogame encounters - now that would be cool.

14. steve_dynamic

Well, its pretty easy to setup once you know how, but it will take a bit of capital for buying TVs, displays, consoles, games, chairs etc.

You'll probably need over a grand to start off with if you want about 4 - 5 games running at the same time. You also need to go out and advertise the tournament to the people that matter. No point in giving flyers to OAPs and 5 year old kids.

I say use a venue where ppl can find it easy.

15. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

So the tournaments will become a regular occurance? It's been such a long time since I've played... I'm actually getting EVO next week, been far too busy with college.

What's the "VF community" like these days? Are people showing up to events etc? Is this gamefocus event the best way to meet other players and catch up in general?

16. steve_dynamic

17. RagingSilver

RagingSilver Well-Known Member

hmm, much better turn out this week I reckon. I actually got a streak going this time, lol. Nice to see the top players appearing early. Odu and his Jeff was mean as always, JB did fair, Vosor was cool and the mighty Ryan heart was just.......mesmerizing with his Jacky, never have I seen sucha good Jacky like his. Good job Ryan. Odu won this time tho, he had 2 16 streaks on his belt. Congrats to Odu

Nice trny on the whole this time. RS

18. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ragingsilver said:

hmm, much better turn out this week I reckon. I actually got a streak going this time, lol. Nice to see the top players appearing early. Odu and his Jeff was mean as always, JB did fair, Vosor was cool and the mighty Ryan heart was just.......mesmerizing with his Jacky, never have I seen sucha good Jacky like his. Good job Ryan. Odu won this time tho, he had 2 16 streaks on his belt. Congrats to Odu

Nice trny on the whole this time. RS

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one were you?

Ryan hart turned up? I wish Id have stayed a bit longer to see that.

19. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Having never seen or remember seing Ryan Heart play VF all I can say is awesome /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. steve_dynamic

Actually, the turnout for 12th July was worst than last week. Only around 40 people turned up compared to the 65-70 that came last week.

This was mainly due to the Pro Evo Soccer players not turning up for 12th July. Only 50% returned from last week. This means that its 50-50 if Game Focus restarts the league tournament.

As it stands, if I hold a league tournament every week, I will not be able to reach the quota for every two months.

Rent = £100 per day x 8 Saturdays = £800
    Wages = £5 per person x 7 ppl x 8 weeks = £280
    Prizes = £50 per game x 4 top players = £200

TOTAL = £1280

If I get 40 ppl every week on 4 featured titles:

£3 x 40 ppl x 8 weeks = £880

This means that I'll be making a loss of -£320. This would mean cutting wages and prizes, which is unacceptable.

The only way I'll be able to keep this up is if I can reduce the rent from Game Focus to £50 a day. This mean I'll have between £60 - 120 to buy new games for the tournament or spare money for equipment every two months. But only if I can get at least 40 ppl through the door every day.

The only other way is rasing the entry fee, which is also unacceptable and more than likely reduce the attendance.