1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

*leans on his cane*

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Mason, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Mason

Mason Member

Memories go back a long way. A house with not a single piece of furniture, just a TV/VCR and a single arcade game, sitting in awe of the legendary #4. Getting slaughtered by the too-cool Singaporian champion of the second 'watery-thing around a castle'. Was it really that long ago that we drove through a blizzard to the snowy land of people who say 'eh' a lot?

Ahh yes, the stories I could tell. But that, my friends, is in the distant past. Today, the call of VF4 is too much for me to resist. I will Splash Mountain again!

-Mason

2. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Wow. what a blast from past.

I don't really know how to even begin to write a reply, mason. Where in Massachusetts are you?

3. Mason

Mason Member

I'm near Springfield. I go to Boston every weekend to visit my gf, so I can easily set up a time in either location to have an old-timer get together. Heck, I can even travel given enough time to prepare, although I still have an outstanding speeding ticket in NY from one of the MoAT trips. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Still living in Wilbraham, Hyun? Is there a VF4 machine in the area? I haven't seen one.

4. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Ah the return of a legend:) Now if we can just get Joe Shun back.

5. Mason

Mason Member

Hey Lonely, who are you? I don't recognize the tag...

6. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

He's relatively new to the VF scene. Part of the proud membership of the Omaha VF scene and probably the best Shun player around these parts (nebraska, iowa, you know...the sticks)

7. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

dude, be a poet..... anyhow, welcome.

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Rad!

(you remember that phrase right? I'm afraid to use it with the kids, they don't know if it's good or bad)

I still live in Maine, make infrequent visits to Boston. I've heard of a PS2 gathering at Shang's place (yes, he's on here too, lurking...).
    Can you see a day off in your future, ideally at least 2 weeks away?

9. Hayai_JiJi

lol my Shun owns the sticks:)

10. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

bah...who's my pounce bitch? come on....you know you gotta admit it.

11. Hayai_JiJi

one fucking day. Its not like your Shun beat my Akira 18-1 or anything:) lets stop posting here its turning into a Omaha shit talk thread when it should be about Mason.

P.S. my Sexy Randle Shun will dance on you

12. Mason

Mason Member

Hey CreeD! My memory is foggy, but you're the Kage player that likes beef jerky, right? If I'm wrong, chalk it up to old age. I think I'm wrong, though, since your bio doesn't have Kage in it. Still, I remember your name from UseNet and am sure I'd recognize you.

I hate to date myself, but yeah, I know what Rad means. Is that something I should lie about?

I would pretty much need at least two weeks notice to attend a gathering, unless I'm lucky, so that works out well. Give me a time and place, and I'll try to make arrangements. Sadly, these days I have to clear this stuff with the boss. She likes to hoard all my free time. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

EDIT: Bah, if you two keep derailing my thread I'll fly to the sticks and do my best impression of a medieval scrub with epilepsy on your VF4 sticks!

13. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Well, if I were brave, I'd say "two weeks from this weekend!@!@!" and just commit to it, these things are famous for getting chattered about without ever getting set in stone.

Let's see what a few others have to say about 2 weeks from tomorrow/the day after. Rich may be able to attend. Hey, what's your brother up to?

PS: I was a pai primarily, but I played a lot of Kage in VF2.
    Did you ever reach what you felt was a fairly complete level of competence in VF3 jeff? It'd be hard to jump from vf2-style jeff to VF4.

Actually, I take that back, Jeff..along with lau... gets my vote for least altered style of gameplay. You can still use him with basically knee, throws, P, d+P, and the occasional upper/from crouch upper.

14. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

True. Welcome back, Mason. I can honestly say that I've only heard about you in old faqs and long-winded diatribes by Rich about old-school and how things used to be.

And no, your not that old either...I know what "rad" means, too. And I, sadly, saw "Gleaming the Cube" in a theatre. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

15. Mason

Mason Member

Rich, yes, that's the Kage player! It's all coming back to me now. I'll see what I can do about scheduling some time two weekends from now. Shouldn't be a problem. My brother is getting sucked into VF4 along with me, so we'll both probably show up. We've both been playing for a whole 1 day now, so forgive us for being scrubby.

I do remember you now, CreeD. The only serious Pai player I knew from VF2. In my ridiculously limited experience, Pai seems to have been upgraded nicely in VF4. All you trolls can bite me if I'm wrong. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

I pretty much lost track of VF3 once I left UMass. There were no arcade versions in the area where I lived, thus no competition. VFx without competition isn't really a game, imo. I liked Taka better in VF3 anyway, so I didn't do anything more than be casually competant with Jeff.

As for Jeff in VF4, he's definitely very much like he was in VF2. Once I get the handle on some of the environment differences in VF4 I'll have a better idea on what the big guy can do.

16. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> My memory is foggy, but you're the Kage player that likes beef jerky, right?

eheh, no, that was me. rich - EVIL SPACE MAGGOT, etc.

the scene in boston is apparently pretty active, and if you can make it to the boston area on weekends that should be ideal - shang, andrew, yupa, hyun usually get together for some weekend ps2 vf4 games on a 50" screen.

i actually don't go to the weekend events so i'm not sure if this is accurate - yupa would be the one to talk to. however i'm pretty sure this coming weekend will be no good; there's a tournament in philly (?) that yupa and maybe others are going to.

if something is planned for the weekend after this coming one, i might be able to put aside my violent dislike of vf4 temporarily and show up.

17. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I sent Mason a book of a PM a little while ago...

The 50" screen is at Andrew's place in Randolph. If Andrew's is available, it's the best place to meet. Jerky! Whassup? If you guys can set a date, I'm there, but I can only stay until about 9:30pm on Saturday night. All day Sunday I'm free but usually very tired...

Cool, the younger Wood is active too... good news.

(Let's move this thread to Jamboree.)

18. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

As for Jeff in VF4, he's definitely very much like he was in VF2

Big initial change is kazure/crumple down(KD) If you MC with the f+P+K, the opponent will grab their stomach and fall to their knees and cannot struggle or QR/TR. During a stomach KD, your are vulnerable to low throws... I think you can figure out the rest... =)

Kazure down is one of the things Rich doesn't like about VF4 as it does tend to dumb down the game a bit with regards to combos. There's less variation--KD is always at the same range and has a constant recovery. Find the most damaging combo, and there's no need to do anything else, ever.

19. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Find the most damaging combo, and there's no need to do anything else, ever.

Well, for most characters this is the case, but at least with jeff it's worth trying the occasional mixup between low throw and combo, since low throw generally does more. My best KD combo is a wimpy knee, d+K+G. I can take my guaranteed 50 or so points, or I can try for powerbomb+stomp.
    Or something. Actually, yeah, if I really cared about my fifty cents, I'd just take the combo every time. Damn.

20. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Thread moved.

Hey Mason, you may or may not remember me from rgva, but nice to see you on board!