1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Learning Brad.

Discussion in 'Brad' started by Santanero, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Santanero

Santanero Member

Hey guys what's up. I started playing this game or at least I'm trying to play vf seriously. I started with Lau Chan, then switched to Pai Chan. I competed in a few round robins and a couple of majors on xbl. I got blown up by almost everyone. I had more success with Pai Chan but still lost badly. Please understand that I'm not blaming the character but those prior choices didn't feel quite right. I'm not going to give up and after some soul searching between picking up Lei Fei and Brad I decided to go for Brad. The thing is I live in Aruba and here there is no scene at all for vf. I have nobody to play unless its online. Not to be a crye baby about it I came here to the forums for help. Maybe you guys could help me and give me some advice on Brad's basics. For example your guys opinion on his top ten moves and maybe some mind games and some match up advice. I know this might be asking a lot by me especially cause I'm new but I hope you guys will help me out. The Pai Chan forums did help me out greatly and i did improve quite a bit. Here is hoping for a new journey learning Brad. Thx in advance.

P.s. See you guys this weekend at the November majors.

2. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

I'll try to go through Brad's basics the best I can.

Brad is the type of character you'll want to use if you like focusing on offense. Many of his moves grant the option to enter his stances, where customs "strings" can be created. Many of these strings terminate with launchers, which are effective in pressuring your opponents if you know how to utilize them properly. Brad is also very effective in okizeme, tracking, and combo damage with his offensive capabilities. Be aware, however, that much of his offense requires players to be good with stance checking and hit scanning. Played defensively, Brad generally lacks moves to get him out of pressure situations. But he makes up for it to an extent by having arguably the best punishment in the game. Learning all of the frames for punishable moves can be time consuming, but the reward is well worth it when using this character.

Top Ten Moves, Excepting Basics (Jab, Elbow, etc.) and Standard Throws

1. [4][P][K] - The first part of this high, mid series is an effective tracking move towards Brad's back. It is 15 frames in execution, so it can catch an ECD when you're at +5. With the fastest timing the combination is a NC, and both parts grant the option for stance entry to continue your assault.

2. [6_][K] - Brad's best tracking move towards his front, which executes in 17 frames and launches on a counter hit. It's also a good move to use at +5, such as after a [6][P] counter hit, since it will beat a [2][P] with its special high property.

3. [4][K] - This is Brad's primary pressure tool at mid range, as it is mid, safe, and can lead into stances. The stance options most direct and damaging are possible with this move, granting high rewards for correct guesses. [4][K][6] -> Ducking [P][P] is also a guaranteed combo if the first part lands on a counter hit. A small cautionary note: Despite being a mid, this technique tends to whiff against characters using moves with low hit boxes.

4. [3][P][+][K][P] - This is a great move to use at range. It is a mid, mid string that's easy to hit confirm and deals nice damage.

5. [2][K][+][G] - 19 frame low full circulars are rare in this game, and Brad has one. This is a good move to throw into your anti-evade game here and there, but utilize it with caution. It leaves Brad in the standing position with -18 on guard.

6. [6][P][+][K] - Brad's 14 frame high launcher. A very good punisher, and probably the most consistent to use after guarding certain moves such as Jacky's [7][K], where the guard stun makes using other launchers somewhat tricky.

7. [2][P][+][K][6][P] - Besides leading into better combos, this mid, high series has been improved from VF5 due to the new mC property. It will now combo into a launch against all moves -16 on guard and lower. This makes it a good tool to punish, for instance, Brad and Jacky's [6][P][K]. The series can be hit confirmed with skill, both on a counter hit and on a crouching opponent where it's a NC. There's also the option to use [2][P][+][K][P]([P]), which are mids that can be utilized to discourage your opponents from crouching in anticipation of the high followup. It is possible to hit confirm these mids into the [6][P] launching element as well.

8. [6][K][+][G] - Brad's highest damage launcher out of stance, this move should generally be used whenever you're at +17 ([2][P][+][K][6][P] is a better punishment option at times.). It's also a reverse nitaku option you'll likely want to be using if you sense a throw attempt. But be careful as it is -15 on guard.

9. Ducking [K][+][G] - A very powerful launcher from Ducking that hits mid and negates any low attacks from the very beginning of its execution. It's also only -10 on guard, making it very safe.

10. Ducking [P][+][G] - This high catch throw should be used in conjunction with Ducking [K][+][G] to create strong pressure on your opponents. It fully tracks, cannot be escaped, and places the opponent into Neck Catch. From there, Brad has a choice of three throws to use on his opponents. These may be escaped, but they offer decent damage and interesting opportunities for setups.

If you're serious about using Brad, my thread "Quantitative Frame Data for Stance Entry" is required reading. The information contained therein is the key to using Brad's stances effectively. For other information such as setups and combos, you'll find this information in other threads. You may also use the thread "Brad: Ask a Question, Get an Answer" for specific items, or for more general things (such as character matchups), you may create your own threads to request advice.

Modelah, R_Panda and Feck like this.
  3. Santanero

Santanero Member

Thank you Libertine. I didn't expect such detailed info and the speed at which you replied. I will put it to good use and will study up on your other threads. Normally i try to compile all info i can find on forums about a character and print them out so i always have it on hand. You have made it a whole lot easier for me and i really appreciate it. Thanks again and believe me i will be back with many more questions. Greeting.