1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Learning mode in VF3tb

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by SummAh, Dec 28, 2000.

1. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Hey ya folks!

I've heard there's no learning mode in the DC vf3tb
    But I REMEMBER, when I first bought the game..playing it on hardest was a BREEZE

As I've gotten better,...the Cpu has started doing things like Ura etc.

Even better, the CPU Jacky actually did the beatkunckle->backfist-> delayed flipkick on me!!!!!!!/images/icons/mad.gif

So is there one?

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Faster Than Lighting! '<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by SummErs on 12/28/00 09:11 AM.</FONT></P>

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Yeah and have you ever noticed how much the computer(or at least mine)can escape low throws. The other day Kage escaped like three in a row.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

3. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

i totally agree. there must be one, because i have noticed the same types of moves being used by the CPU (low escapes, delayed combos, etc) which i doubt it did when i first bought my dreamcast.

4. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Not only that
    The Cpu is different from othe copies of Vf3tb.
    My friend who's not that good has a very boring CPU. By simply doing DE n SDE with Akira, I CAN WIN WITH ease...yet on mine...reversals galore!

I guess it's like the Arcade...
    Which is cool ass!!!!

One time, the cpu repeatedly reverse my triphammer...not just with the one character....

I lost count how many times my rising attacks were ura'ed' by the cpu n they got free side throws!

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Faster Than Lighting! '

5. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I lost count how many times my rising attacks were ura'ed' by the cpu n they got free side throws!

Ura'd or dodged?

GE

6. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

DCVF3 must have a learning mode because pai now starts with d/f+p,p,p,b+k because she is used to me doing my bad habit of ducking as soon as pai and lau begin their d/f+p....strings. this never used to happen. well, certainly not as much as it happens now (pai initially used to end her P strings with the sweep). so i guess the CPU even uses a form of conditioning.

7. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I think at this point it might be prudent for everyone
    to agree on a definition of what constitutes learning mode.

VF2 had a "learning mode" (what a crock of...) but that does not
    seem to be the case in VF3. At least not in the same way. The
    AI in VF1 got progressively harder the better the human opponent
    was (evidenced by the border surrounding the timer changing colors)
    but I would hardly say the CPU was learning. It was merely
    responding to how fast the human player was getting through the
    various stages.

The same can hold true for VF3. The CPU makes decisions based on
    your inputs and what your character is doing. If you are ducking
    it wouldn't make sense for the computer character to fire off
    high attacks. It would necessarily choose the attack that will
    meet with a higher degree of success. If the CPU is faced with
    a decision based on certain data (say it whiffed a low attack)
    it could easily choose a low throw escape as a viable response
    and wouldn't be learning, just playing the odds. In fact, if
    VF3 CPU plays the way I think it does then there's not guess
    work involved at all: the AI reads your inputs and makes
    decision based on them. You input df+P+K+G so it escapes the
    intended throw.

Lets decide what we think the term "learning mode" means before
    we go too far with this and make a decision one way or the other.

GE

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I seem to recall a thread here a while ago (though I couldn't find it again) regarding VF3's learning capability i.e. it having none. However, it will adjust it's AI accordingly which makes it seem like it's learning. VF2's learning mode actually "learnt" stuff off the people playing the machine and would then attempt to use it, often with mixed results.

And for what it's worth SummErs, I think you had your rising attacks dodged since you say you're being side-thrown. I've never know the CPU to ura. ever.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

9. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Ok, dodge is a better term is that case
    But I'm pretty sure it has ura b4, just don't remember which circumstances:(

But heck, the CPU was never able to do it when I first got it.

So, I guess it's a good thing the CPU got 'smarter'...
    Then again, I bought the game in 98. It only stated to reverse my moves in 2000...DAMN!/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Faster Than Lighting! '<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by SummErs on 12/28/00 09:16 PM.</FONT></P>

10. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

vf2 "learned" from human play and even directly attempted to mimic certain sets of moves, even combos - on my vf2 machine it would try TFT, knee all the time, but it had limitations, and it would never nail it because it waited for the TFT animation to complete before inputting the knee.
    the vf3 ai doesn't do this. it just steps up difficulty depending on how good the players are. all it takes on the arcade machine is to beat it really quickly or do a nasty combo and it's one pissed off cpu; it'll jump up a bunch of notches in difficulty and try to kick your ass.

11. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Not to mention a cheating CPU

Having my Akira's bodycheck being stopped dead in its track by a miserable Aoi standing Punch is irriatitng/images/icons/mad.gif

12. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

that's not cheating...just irritating, inhumanly fast reflexes.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Jap or Us Version?

Which version are you talking about?
    I've got Japanese version (since DC launch) and i don't notice any kind of learning skill from CPU

14. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Re: Jap or Us Version?

Jap version

I'm not the only one who has noticed the improvements on my CPU

The US version is alot tougher than the Jap version off the bat anyway

15. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC

Personally, my guess is that you have improved, not your cpu. In the US version, if you play training mode, you can set the difficulty of the CPU to "auto", which starts at zero and goes up to nine as you perform more complex moves, do more damage etc.

I believe that, as Mr Bungle said, the cpu is upping the stakes quicker on the scale since your playing gets better with time. So lets say 2 years ago, you had the cpu pumped to level 7 by stage 5, whereas now you have it at level 7 at stage 2. This may not be how it actually works, but it's my guess.

I've felt at times that the cpu was learning as well, but I really don't think so; based mainly on the ammount of memory given to the game on the memory card: 12 blocks. The VF2 saturn took a big chunk of the hardware ram that came in the system (lets say it took 100 of the available blocks, then the average game took about 10, roughly). Remember the DC has to have a memory card to save, whereas the saturn and arcade machines have ram built in. On top of that, if there are 12 blocks total, that means that all the learning data for each character would have to fit into 1 block, which I think is unlikely, and still have room for Dural and the vs records and game settings. When you load from the vs records screen, it happens in the blink of an eye, this is because it's only loading the settings and vs records, not any learning data. And as someone already pointed out, there is no blinking on screen of the timer bar or the names to indicate the cpu is learning.

I've seen my cpu do some crazy stuff, but as much as I wished it was learning, it isn't. I feel that if the feature was there, they also would have included the expert mode as they did previously, which was where the cpu used the data it learned.

If you play the cpu for lack of other people to practice with (like I do) you really should get the US version, there's a big difference. Aside from the better AI, the training mode options are a lot better (i.e. you can set the cpu to elbow and practice recovery). And you can actually play as dural (which is fun).

Spotlite

16. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I know :)
    Borrowing it from a friend SOOOONNNNN!