1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Learning the "flow" of Virtua Fighter

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Masahiko, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Masahiko

Masahiko Member

Hey guys! I'm brand new to VF. Just picked up the ps2 version a few days ago and am incredibly impressed by the game. I started off years ago as a SF player, moved to Tekken over the past few years, and have been interested in playing VF for a long time. I'm slightly annoyed with Tekken 4 right now also so the ps2 release of VF came at a great time. Unfortunately I've definately noticed VF isn't that popular in North America and definately not in the area where I live, so I have no real competition except a friend or two.

Now, on to my question. I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the VF stuff that's new to me, which is almost everything. I can't break throws worth anything in battle, though I know the technique! Anyway, my question stems from the idea of flow that I bring with my from the Tekken series. When I see an opportunity to counter or begin an attack I like to keep it going and flow into combos, juggles, mixups, whatever... I've been finding that hard to do in VF, perhaps since my two favorite characters are not the easiest to play (Venessa, Aoi). I was playing my friend just the other night, who had never played before, and he was playing Lei Fei and Akira and I was having a lot of trouble winning against his constant attack. With Akira he would use the low kick over and over, then I figured after a low kick i could stop him with d+p. After that however, I didn't know how to start an attack. I've heard mention of "flow charts" and such and I'm wondering if these may help me. I guess I just need practice. I can tell already Aoi is very defensive, and Venessa is my main character I think. Thanks for any help

2. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

In DF style for Vane, while standing P is a very good followup to D+P that flows right from the crouching position. If it hits, you'll have an opportunity window to lead into other attacks. Fun stuff.

3. Typhoon

Typhoon Well-Known Member

I feel with ya. VF is a tough game compared to other fighters when it comes to the learning curve.
    Breaking throws: simple breaks are easy to do but the task is knowing when theyre coming. The pace of the game is so frantic at first, just try to remeber to do your throw escapes after your known throw counterable moves. Take a beating trying it... in the end it becomes like reflex... you see your hit blocked and know youre in trouble... throw escape and hold guard. For really slow recovery moves, treat a throw escape like and end to the canned combo... you got nothing better to do anyways (on really slow recover your either gonna get popped regardless or thrown... at least you can break a throw). Also low throw escape is vital to learn... know which moves you have leave you open to lowthrow and add your p+k+g escape to the end of that move. Dont wait for the throw to come out... this aint Tekken... learn to do it as a defensive end to your moves... not an escape by itself.

VF4 is fast! This takes getting used to. Anyone can bulldog you when you first start and mop the floor with you because you panic and dont know how to react. And just about as bad as eating a whole string is locking up on guard and being thrown to death. So dont feel bad about getting trounced that way. Do Kumite and the early Kyus will pause just as badly as you do sometimes. It will give you time to breathe and hopefully get you into the transition from slow fighters like Tekken to fast-paced reaction fighters like VF4.
    Since you been to the Tekken side of things, you know to recognize strings and block them, taking the opportunity when they've overextended. Once you got the pace of VF you will see this works as well early on... you just have to devote the time to seeing what they can throw at you and then guarding the whole thing and reaping rewards at the end.

Vanessa is a great choice for beginners, despite what the darn book sez. But your choice of Aoi was probably misguided if you're new too this. I just started using her now and I still suck with her, but getting better only because I've learned to react and not just act. Aoi requires knowing two things: how to set up effective throws and how to reverse. Neither of these come easily when you first start. And I subtly disagree that shes defensive... she has great offense with whihc to provoke retalliation... and an effective provocation can lead to desired retalliation, which is where you reverse and make an ass out of your opponent.

d+p is a nice counter-hit to disrupt offense but it can be blocked high with most and for that reason alone I dont use it as a counterattack technique... save that for breaking a combo string that you started off guarding. If you absolutely must follow up a d+p learn your characters while standing moves and moves from full crouch. With Vane, try d+p D,f+p b+p db+k+g f+pk . I use that all the time, and admittedly its very rudimentary but I offed most of my buds who were bulldogging me as we were learning. Just dont use it againt Jacky... damn I hate that autoparry garbage.. hehe.

Following up after someone lowkicks you, go mid. If you panic and hit buttons your most likely going to come out high and whiff, eating another low hit. As in my string above, Vane will go mid with her rising punch, nailing anyone staying low and catching anyone pushing the attack with anything thats not fast as lightning.
    Now if you plan to fight that guy again, and have learned to block his low sweeps, catchhim in a low throw! Or go db+k+g.. should get you high enough off the ground so the sweep whiffs and you crank him with the downward kick. Should float his booty to...

Don't get discouraged! We all suck when we start something new. It's the learning process. As Ive stated, the curve for VF4 is a little steep but the depth of the game is rewarding enough to merit the investment in time (and punishment) youll dedicate to it.

4. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Check out this thread:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=versus&Number=28537&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=1&vc=1>http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=versus&Number=28537&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=1&vc=1</a>

There's also a Tekken to VF4 guide written by Hyun at <a target="_blank" href=http://gamefaqs.com>gamefaqs.com</a>