1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Learning VF4 (Kage in particular)

Discussion in 'Kage' started by HuangSiKwan, Apr 12, 2002.

1. HuangSiKwan

HuangSiKwan Member

Hi guys... I guess I would be considered something less of a newbie (This is the first VF that I've played!), so forgive me in advance if this stuff sounds silly.

I have two questions:
    1. Could someone explain what "buffering" (between or after moves) is supposed to mean or apply to game play. I've seen a lot of posts, but haven't clearly understood it yet. Does it mean that I can buffer in moves and have them come out like after a block or something. (Toldja this was gonna get silly)

2. Practicing with Kage, I've gotten beaten up a lot, but I faced him in a ranking match and he has a move i can't duplicate. It's a throw where he does a handstand and flips me with his feet!?! Anybody know what I'm talking about or how this is done.

Thanks in advance...

2. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

1. Buffering has been talked about a lot. Search Junky's Jungle for "buffering." Probably the most used buffered attack for Kage is a rising knee after a TFT throw (b+P+G) For Kage to do the knee (D,f+K) he must be crouching. A way to make characters crouch instantly is to do a crouch dash (df, DF) So you can do a rising knee from a standing start by entering df,df,f+K. OK? Now put them together. You can buffer the crouch dash into the recovery of the b+P+G throw (while your opponent is still flying in the air) and then hit f+K to get the rising knee out. If you timed it right, you'll hit the floater in the head and be able to continue the combo for big damage and possibly a ring out.

2. I think you mean his back exposed throw. Just do a turn away attack like b,b+P and then hit P+G. If your opponent is in range and standing (not attacking) Kage will put a foot on each shoulder and twist, sending them flying off to the side. Yeah, the CPU loves this throw...

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

1. Buffering--My definition, though probably "too simple," is inputting a technique somewhat early while your character is not in a ready state to perform the technique immediately.
    -For instance, if you were to throw counter from block, you buffer the throw right after the actual block, but before your character fully recovers.
    -Or at the start of the round, you input some motions before the true start of the fight--before your character is ready to perform the technique, and you enter the very last inputs when the fight starts and your character performs the technique.
    -Another example that I'll use with Shun is drinking with P+K+G and then inputting a chouwan (QCF+P or df,f+P) while he's drinking so that when he's finished drinking, he'll perform a chouwan. Seems to work for me when I'm using sticks I'm not too good with and commonly end up with uf+P instead of the Chouwan...
    *You can't buffer things in way early, but you can still complete the inputs of a technique a little bit before your character is ready to perform them.

2. Yupa explained the technique that the CPU Kage does. For the moment, not as a lifetime habit, use a low punch against the computer when you see him turn his back like that. That particular catch throw of Kage's follows the normal rules of any high throw, it won't catch you if you're attacking or crouched. But it is a fairly fast throw

-Chanchai.

4. HuangSiKwan

HuangSiKwan Member

Thanks a lot fellaz... i'll go and practice this now!