1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Legendary Pai players to learn from?

Discussion in 'Pai' started by PaulMartinKPG, Sep 26, 2010.

1. PaulMartinKPG

PaulMartinKPG Member

Well, I really like this character, and think she looks awesome as you unlock more and more costume permuations, plus, just like another certain very famous Chinese woman from a big fighting game franchise (Chun not Ling [​IMG] ), she's got the speeeeeeeed! [​IMG]

Unfortunately though, getting into VF5 late, and never finding time to really study through a lot of these older threads, and not being able to find the updated guide for sale, I am getting murdered over Live trying to play her [​IMG]

So, just wondering, who are the great, worldwide Pai players I can search for vids from , or maybe even play one day, to hopefully pick up some good tips, and damage options?

Cheers.

2. smb

smb Well-Known Member

Sorry to be the first to respond without even answering your question [​IMG]

I am by no means legendary, but i do have a sometimes nasty pai. Mirror matches are great for picking up tricks. So feel free to add me.

Wasted Wish

Also, if you check my friend's list, Fang of Zod is a new pai player, i'd recommended mirror matches with him/her, it would be a good opportunity for both of you to progress together.

just a suggestion.

3. PaulMartinKPG

PaulMartinKPG Member

Cool, will add the tag in a bit. I'm in the UK so my connection will only stretch to Europe or the East Coast of America unfortunately (not sure where you're at).

Fang of Zod - think I played that tag the other day! But they were possibly using the nightmare monk guy? Played about 30 Pai mirrors late last night, against a guy from France I think, but lost most of them due to awful lag, which meant I couldn't deal with the 1KK he kept spamming. Normally, I would (after getting hit a few times) block and punish that with either counter-grabbing the second kick, or waiting low for it to go over my head, and then simply rising into the hold low and then towards throw [​IMG]

OK, quick trawl back through the older threads in this section are showing Cappo and DaBadSeed as tasty Pais to look out for! A problem I find on YouTube is so much of the Japanese VF stuff is of course for far newer versions, but then, basic Pai rushdown can't have changed too much over the years I suppose...

4. ultralewis

ultralewis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    InfamousGeezer
    XBL:
    Infamous Geezer
    I play Pai also. Gimme a shout anytime you see me on. I agree that mirror matches are good for learning.

5. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    You could also play me. My Pai is pretty decent and i promise not to spam anything but yip kick [​IMG]

6. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

I have some advice for pai, even if im not the greatest(yet).

First of all, her 64PP is a great move, so use it.

then, the stance she's got, bokutai, its great for mixups, the chan sweep, stagger, also she can do that double flying kick.

finally, is everything else fails, remember that pai P is faster than most others, and that she's got the 3P charge K that is deadly when it connects.

oh, and her fastest mid is 9K+G i think, pretty unusual, but get used to to it.

add me so we can play.

PS: dont play marly, hes a spammer. [​IMG]

7. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

just quickly threw out some notes since, while I don't play any more, I still have love for Pai.

ADVANTAGES WITH ATTACK
    Pai's standing punch is 10frames and beats everyone's except Sarahs (9frames) but she needs to enter Flamingo to have that.

her chop (f+P) and her swallow kick (uf+K+G) are her fastest executing mids at 14frames - both can be used to set up throws and combos.

F+P is -5 and +1 on block and neutral hit whereas Uf+K+G is -5 and +2 on block and neutral hit. Counter is +6 for both.

FC_f+P. executes in 16frame, only floats on counter. -8 on block, +4 on neutral hit.

B+P. executes in 25 frames. Very slow but closes distance very nicely and is a great follow up if opponent tech recovers. Force block and you are in good shape. +4, +7 and +10 on block, neutral hit and counter.

Sidekick df+K executes in 16frame and is -5 on block. Being blocked up close means you get thrown if you just hold G after, you must fuzzy if you don't immediately attack. Blocked at distance you can duck throw without issue. P follow up is -4 and -2 on block and neutral hit but hitclass is high so it can be ducked.

K+G executes in 21 frames, is full circular and special high, beating low attacks. -5, +5 and +8 on block, neutral hit and counter.

F, b+P(P) executes in 19 frames, hits high and is a sabaki against punches and elbows as well as sobers shun. Follow up P hits mid and is -12 on guard, but is +4 and +6 on neutral hit and counter hit.

db K,K. executes in 14frame. Hits low high. Very, very, very counterable and easy to block on neutral hit and block but chains on first counter hit.

Low Blue Fist (df+P) is exceedingly strong despite being -8 and -9 on block and natural hit simply because of it’s bokutai follow ups.

Low blue fist begins Bokutai. On counter hit it chains naturally into her K follow up, you have time to check it if you have the reflexes.

b+K hits high and executes in 17 frames. enters bokutai, half circular (escape to the back)

ADVANTAGES WITH THROW
    B,d+P+G reverses ring position. No guaranteed follow up.
    F,b+P+G reverses ring position. Guaranteed swallow kick.
    F, d+P+G forces crouch and leads to low throw or swallow kick if opponent tries to throw break.
    Df+PG reverse ring position. Swallow kick is guaranteed. Everything else is not but mindgames exist from this position.
    df df+P+G. nothing is guaranteed but Sidekick on a counter attacking opponent equals crumple combo. Opponent CAN dash away but remains vulnerable to sidekick (non crumple) and throw game. Best option for opponent is to fuzzy.

BOKUTAI NOTES.

Bokutai as a natural stance(no follow up) evades high P, elbow, Knee, and low punch

Charged K follow up staggers on block. On stagger, P+K floats all but the fastest struggle. It can be dodged both ways – you can cancel the charged kick to force changes in opponent.

Non charged K is special high and cannot be dodged at all. perfect for people who dodge on reflex.

Opponent backdash beats ALL of pai’s options regardless of hit class. This is important to know because bokutai’s strength comes from not always finishing the stance options but to leave the opponent guessing. If you complete too often you will be beaten each time.

Versus Pai if you are facing Bokutai swallow kicks and db+K, K beat the fastest options.

PaulMartinKPG likes this.
  8. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    No mention of her 14f launcher, [K] ? Launches on normal hit. -8 on block. great for punishment after a successful evade.

9. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I said it was quick, didn't I?? I actually had to edit twice to add stuff in. I was surprised I remembered anything. been so long.