1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lei Dojo preview

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ken, Feb 13, 2002.

1. ken

ken Well-Known Member

<a target="_blank" href=http://ken.emagen.com.au/lei>Link to Lei Dojo</a>

This is late(hopefully final) draft of the Lei dojo.

How to play Lei in general with emphasis on stance mastery and control.

I'd appreciate if people could point out :
    -typos
    -opinions
    -spelling
    -better combos
    -suggestions

A few questions about some of Lei's moves:
    [BT]p : is this move a sabaki?

Thanks for the help... I'll edit the Dojo according to replies or PMs.

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

A few questions about some of Lei's moves:
    [BT]p : is this move a sabaki?

Nope, TT P is not a sabaki.

Also analyzed Lei's framestats (get it at www.virtuaproject.com), found some interesting things:

Fastest executing high moves:
    - Scorpion P (10f)
    - Crab P+K (12f)
    - P (12f)

As you can see, Lei's a little slow in the close up ticking game.

Fastest executing mid moves:
    - ff+P (14f)
    - df+K (15f)
    - uf+K+G (16f)

I personally wasn't sure which of the above was fastest; now I know. Useful information to mC blocked low moves appropriately.

Moves that give Lei initiative even when blocked
    - Scorpion PP+K (+7f) >>> Normal
    - Crab P+KP (+3f) >>> Normal
    - Crab PK (+4f) >>> Crane
    - Crab K (+2f) >>> Tiger
    - PP (+1f) >>> Crane

Now I'm waiting for Kage's framestats to be available online...

3. ken

ken Well-Known Member

cool.. nice to here i wasn't that far off.. i'll tweak the stars after some playtesting tonight.

yeah, the [dm]p, pk: looks shitloads faster than the P

d+pk i didn't know was that good.. its also a tracking move supposedly.. i'll test that as well.

can you give me framestats on the actual
    d+P+K+G >>>[DM] (looks close to 1-2frames to me)

cause this will affect the speed of the [DM]jab.

i'll edit these things into the guide.

also execution frames for stance changing from Neutral is important too. the below are my estimates from button to when you can input stance move.

IN:: u+P+K+G : slightly faster than jab ~8frames???
    DM :: d+P+K+G :: pretty damn instantaneous :: ~2-4 frames????
    EV :: db+P+K+G :: very slow :: ~12frames???

I'll look up the rest of the framestats from vproject.

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

d+P+K tracked in ver.B, but is linear in ver.C. Pity...

VP doesn't list framestats for stance changes, unfortunately (and I'm guessing the blue book doesn't either). Does anyone know how many frames blockstun is in VF4?

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Feixaq, Thanks so much for pointing that stuff out! I mean, it makes me slap my head at how obvious some aspects were.

I was always wondering because from the round start, it was almost obvious to me that Lei was slow at executing his pokes.... but then he would pressure the crap out of me and score MCs on me out of his flowcharts, and now I smack my head wondering why I didn't think about recovery advantage on block.

Anyways, as embarassing as that might be to admit, I'm happy you pointed out all of this/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Sent you this by ICQ earlier, but I thought it would be worth posting...

For most LW/MW characters, a single P gives the attacker a frame advantage even if blocked. Not so for Lei, though, which is why he can't use P(G) to poke.

Akira's P: 12f, +2f if blocked
    Jacky's P: 12f, +1f if blocked
    Lei's P: 12f, -4f if blocked

Lei *can* use PP to enter crane stance, though. PP gives +1f if blocked, and sets up a guessing game. (But, good players who know how to counteract Lei will ETEG after blocking PP to limit Lei's flowchart alternatives.)

7. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Yep, Lei gives me the impression of being a "heavyweight" if you look at his frame stats for the conventional poking attacks. I've had the same problem as Chanchai... blocking those attacks and thinking I might have the advantage if I countered with a fast [low] punch. Won't work... /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

liked your site. very helpful and its making me much more interested in lei. good job !

9. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Thank you, but the driving force behind VP is kbcat.
    He's the one slaving over the blue book right now... /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I'm looking at blocked frames for Lei's Crane d+K... it's listed as -6, but I've been kneed, heelkicked, elbowed, etc. after the opponent blocks this move. I'm guessing it's because there's a stance change involved?

11. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

got a question. are the blue/black books easily available? are they in japanese (stupid question)? and where would i find them??

btw, i am having a hard time with lei's d/f p+g, d/f,d/f pp....is it bad timing or is there exact spacing. stoopid question again as i am lame with lei. he doesnt seem to make them bounce high enough to get hits after the throw.......i've gotten f+k but that it i think.....

12. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Read the dojo for followups.

its a flop after the strike in the throw.

that mean you can do any of the following:

pk, p , p
    r:(up to jacky)
    comment: its pretty hard to miss this followup. Note you recover much faster in this flop compared to combos from "uf+K+G" because you lose frames landing after the jump kick.

"f, f+K [IN]" is also a good followup. Encourages a TR and its the same damage as well.

df, df+p, p - k+g
    works on all weights. try buffering during the throw. You can practice this combo from "uf+k+g" as it is the same flopping motion and conditions.