1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lei-Fei help... after [IN]d+k is blocked...

Discussion in 'Lei' started by Wedge, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Wedge

Wedge Member

One of Lei-Fei's nice combos uses [IN]d+k, [DM]k, -> other forms of abuse.

I'm having a problem recovering from this combo attempt when my opponent blocks the first [IN]d+k
    At this point i'm in Defeat Miss stance, and I usually can't recover to natural or IN stance to guard or try to reverse the incoming punches fast enough. The Dojo suggests using [DM]p,p+k or [DM]p+k, which sometimes works for me, but does anyone have any other suggestions in this case?
    Perhaps anything more along the retreat/guard angle, instead of another attack?

2. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Yes you've answered your own question.

Your attack is blocked, you gambled and lost with the low attack move. You wouldn't complain if you connected the d+K now would you.

Given the strength of the [IN]d+K move I don't think you can complain.

Best course of action depending on your opponent is to guard ASAP. You'll at most take damage from a single punch at worst. Its hard to be thrown in the DM stance. If you attempt to execute [DM]K, most likely you'll be hit for a major counter. Given most people have a floating move from crouch position. After blocking you most will look to lowpunch, throw or mid/float you in retaliation. You were blocked and do not have inititiave thus why are you trying to attack. If you usually are allowed to keep attacking that is a sign of a weak opponent.

You need to remember the context of the Dojo is for beginer to intermediate play. You will improve as will your opponents. At that level of play pressing the attack is effective as Lei Fei's gaps are hard to spot.

I think the problem is not what to do after the attack is blocked but rather why your attack was blocked in the first place.

Looking back prior to the execution of this move you have every opportunity to execute other options.

Low: [IN]d+K

Mid: [IN]K+G

Circular: [IN]u+K+G

Throw: G, throw

So I've no idea really why you are complaining. Don't get blocked. If you are blocked its your turn to defend or damage control.

Also FYI.. if the [IN]d+K connects the combo is not guaranteed as the stagger induced may be stuggled out of, which is common at high level of play.

3. Wedge

Wedge Member

Well, I wouldn't really call that complaining, but whatever.
    It certainly wasn't intended to be a criticism of the dojo.

Yes, [IN]d+k is a very nice move, even considering the fact that
    you can get punished for it if blocked. The reason it
    strikes me as unusual, is because I've yet to encounter a
    move in VF4 that you can't evade or guard immediately after.

It wouldn't suprise me if there were plenty more, it's just
    a first for me. I'm aware of the other options from IN
    stance, and I don't do that move to the point of being too
    predictable. (I think.)

4. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

You want a good all-around Lei Fei tip when playing against another player? Well, I'll tell you anyway. Space out your moves... don't just do the combo. If not, you'll be read like a book.

Good players will evade a LOT of Lei Fei's attacks -- then you're toast. When your'e doing a readable move (anything from any stance pretty much) space them out. Wait for your opponent to TRY to evade (he'll move slowly up or down) then go for your attack.