1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lei Fei vs Lion

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Malice, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Malice

Malice New Member

What do I do as a Lei Fei vs a Lion who kicks all the time?

The Lion alternates between high and low kicks (the FF+K+G is pretty damn annoying and looks like a low kick which means that i often block low and get hit by it).

And to make things worse, Lion almost always pounces on me after i get knocked down..

any suggestions? Cuz most of my sabaki counter only punches and high attacks.

Another thing, in what situations are [DM] p, p+k good in?

2. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I use Lion & Lei Fei -- both 4-dan at the arcades, which is fairly good. My Lion is much 'stronger' but he just doesn't have 80pt combos like Lei Fei. :)

Anyways, it sounds like you're problem is you're letting him stay too far away. There are mainly 5 attacks he's got from a distance:

FF K+G (mid)
    FF P (mid)
    B,DF P (low)
    DF K+G (low)
    FF P+K (mid) which can be followed by a quick K (mid) or a slow D+P (low)

You can dodge all of the punches, btw. Try being a bit more agressive, and that might help. Stand right next to him as he stands up... don't give him a chance to do those attacks.

3. PS2_VFighter

PS2_VFighter Member

I use lei-fei as well, and the problem seems to be that Lei needs his distance too. Most of his attacks are slow and can be countered easily up close. But I guess I would say choose good close attacks and stick with them.

Don't listen to me though, I'm just a newbie.

4. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Lion is very powerful with both punches and kicks.

If you have Lion doing kicks on you all the time and winning that way your general defense is way tooo weak.

If your style of play has limited Lion's options to only kicks then you have the advantage. Otherwise your opponent is not really that good and you skill is much worse than his seeing he can beat you with only two moves and without punching. Those two moves are Lion's good moves but are far from being his best.

By not punching most of Lions kicking moves are punishable by throw or "uf+K+G" "IF" you block them.. with more emphasis on "IF". If he is winning by simply using Mid/low sweeps which cannot be dodged, then to win the answer is just to block a few times.

You're getting pounced because you don't know how to rise faster enough (mash and roll) or you don't know how to TR. You can only get pounced on a flop or a slam. As soon as you bounce you can roll away.

Lion is playing a therotically 50:50 guessing game with you. Your defensive skill is lacking thus the odds are more 80:20, simply because:

1: you don't know how to block
    2: you don't know how to get up. IE Rolling and TR/QR
    3: you may be dodging vs circular attacks.. which you will lose. Dodging is good BTW..

A key skill with defending Lion's moves is too listen for his sounds.

Generally "swoosh" and "einnnhyah" means Low. Silent is mid.

5. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

I'll add abit to Ken's post, If your opponent keeps gambling low/mid sweeps, just stay back and do [DM]P+K. It works for me. I've got a friend here who relies alot on that gambling moves and [DM]P+K seems to punish him good.

6. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

If you block the low sweeping kick, do the: P+K,P,P -- that'll teach him.

7. You should use the p+k p p+k against Lion. Because he tends to stay low, the first hit knocks him up, then the other follows it. [9] [K] + [G] also helps alot.

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

pssst - siiiix months ooooold pooost.

9. Ura_Bahn

Ura_Bahn Well-Known Member

shhhhh - dont tell em they will only cry

10. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

CreeD, pffft, just delete it /versus/images/icons/smile.gif