1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lei-Fei's Double Palm Sabaki

Discussion in 'Lei' started by Deniz, May 15, 2002.

1. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

I am just getting into using Lei-Fei and am also compiling an errata listing for his Version C Command List. In doing so, I've encountered something that has confused me, and I would appreciate some help. His QCF+P+K Double Palm is supposedly a Sabaki vs punches and elbows. But I am not totally convinced. In an earlier thread on Sabakis and Inashis, ken (who is our local Lei-Fei expert) said: "Sabaki is a strike thats defeat oncoming attack and cause damage from the if the strike connects. You'll notice a scratching sound and a stagger-like animation from the opponent." I've used this as a general guide for testing if a move is a Sabaki. Well, when I input Lei's Double Palm, I hear no scratching sound, so I am a bit confused. Something definitely does happen versus enemy attacks, but it just doesn't seem like a Sabaki. I can't even see an actual deflection of the opponent's move. It just seems to overpower the opponent. If I hadn't read that it was a Sabaki, I would just assume the move has some unusual priority over enemy attacks. In fact, it seems to work well not just against punches and elbows, but all attacks as well, so if it is a Sabaki, I am not sure why other attacks aren't included as those it is a Sabaki versus. Can anybody help me with understanding why this is a Sabaki vs punches and elbows? What should I be noticing/hearing/seeing that would confirm this?

2. ken

ken Well-Known Member

A sabaki is an attack.

The double palm's initial execution will parry any oncoming HP, MP, ME, HE.

The attacking component of this move is an attack.. considering this move will cause a Head Crumble in VersionC makes it a pretty darned good move.

Depending on your range the stagger-like animation will seem different.

3. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

A sabaki is an attack.
    Yes, I know that. But as you stated in the quote I took from you, isn't there supposed to be a scratching sound alerting the player that a Sabaki has taken effect, just as a louder striking sound and a yellow flash alerts us to an MC?

4. ken

ken Well-Known Member

I don't think an indication is required.

I'm not sure about the QCF+P+K (LeiFei).... but most/all of the other sabaki moves in the game produce such a sound.

The main indication is the stagger animation. Where if they were executing an attack and you sabaki successfully they imediately stagger. An indication in irrelevant as if you did not sabaki you would attack accordingly or eat the oncoming attack depending on priority.

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I swear I've had blatant sabaki situations with the qcf+P+K with sound and all. In my mind, it's definitely a sabaki attack. However, as an additional note, it was turned into a sabaki attack in Version C. Prior to version C, it was not a sabaki if I recall (and experience acknowledges this).

I think the timing of the sabaki might be throwing you off? It almost seems to be "early" timing... Like midway through the long execution of qcf+P+K is where it will sabaki an attack--so I think it implies that using the move when you have the advantage is more likely to give you the sabaki than using it at a disadvantage. I don't play enough Lei Fei to be 100% sure of this, however.

-Chanchai

6. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I think Lei Fei's sabaki sounds are really hard to hear, as his sabaki attacks (when they connect, which is common when the sabaki takes effect) are followed by a cannon-esque boom!

Lei Fei's is a very good one. Probably the most effective in the game. He leans into it a bit as well. I think Pai's is another one that's overlooked -- quite good.

7. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

Okay, my silly unimportant question has been resolved. There is indeed a verifying Sabaki sound. I played around with the move some more, and found that the Sabaki, when it occurs, is an extremely early one in the animation. The timing is also fussy; Lei and his opponent have to move almost simultaneously, with Lei just a hair slower. There is an unmistakable and easily heard noise when the Sabaki pushes into play. It's getting it to happen that is hands down hard (well, not that hard). But I can lay this to rest and all is right with the world again... /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. ken

ken Well-Known Member

No,

its actually a sucky move in Ver.B

In Version C, it was revised to cause a head crumble.

In Version B, it simply knocked down with no possible followups and poor damage.