1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lei Fei's Rakengeki

Discussion in 'Lei' started by masterpo, Aug 17, 2022.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    [4][P][P]

Lei Fei's Rakengeki should not be confused with Karate's very similar move. The Karate move is slower and has a different intention.

The Rakengeki means to land both attacks with speed rather than force. Its a 2 hit attack in Virtua Fighter. Part 1 of the attack lands Yushin Kengeki [4][P] and is followed by [P] The two hits together do a damage of 41. Rakengeki establishes the basic Northern Shaolin Kungfu attack and when correctly performed establishes Lei Fei's Northern Shaolin form.

2. phanatik

phanatik Well-Known Member

XBL:
    I phanatik I
    Lei embodies Traditional Shaolin technique. You can see most of his moves employ jin (qi in karate) and fa jin (coil and whip) both punches and kicks. Fa Jin is found in Brie Lee’s one-inch punch and differentiates Chinese for other martial arts. You can take this and apply it to all of Lei’s moves…

masterpo likes this.
  3. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    I wonder whether Yu Suzuki really had a particular aspect of Shaolin Kung Fu in mind when Lei's moves were programmed and captured:whistle:

Was he really aware of Fa Jin, Northern, Southern, or whatever:confused:

When the developers were assigning damage amounts to each basic attack , I wonder were they considering the relative difficulty, damage or importance of the real world moves or attacks:ninja:

As I'm looking through some of Lei's moves, some of the stuff seems to line up with their real world counter parts:ROTFL: and I can't help but wonder whether that was intentional:LOL: or just coincidence

4. phanatik

phanatik Well-Known Member

XBL:
    I phanatik I
    Seems intentional to me. I practiced northern green dragon, consisting of dragon (primary animal), snake, monkey, crane, and tiger animal forms. Lei's moves definitely look like dragon techniques (fa jin). And all those techniques I am very familiar with; they are mostly real.

masterpo likes this.
  5. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    (y)

Are there any interviews with the AM2 devs out there on what went into giving certain moves the DMG amounts they received. Seeing that many of the moves are based on real moves, maybe they calibrated the dmg to match:X3:

I know Yu Suzuki did research here and there, but it would be interesting to get a detailed break down of how they approached the damage rating for the realistic moves:)

6. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Maybe Yu Suzuki based the damage, off of the physical hits he received, when learning kung fu in China. I remember he admitted breaking his ribs too, so it might be possible, he based damage in VF, off of his real life experiences.

Anyway, I used that move alot in VF4 Evo. Anytime I hit someone with it, I felt like a shaolin monk.:cool:

masterpo likes this.
  7. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    :LOL::ROTFL:

Yea, Most moves that make contact are given a number amount for damage. Some moves do high damage, others low damage etc. I can't help but wonder why some moves were picked for high amounts of damage, and some for low. Or why certain strings do more damage than others and what the rationale was to assigning that damage.

Did it have anything to do with the actual fighting style being balanced, or was it just an arbitrary choice on the part of the developers.:whistle:

Or was it all about trying to make the player spend as many tokens as possible:ROTFL: