1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lei Fei's Valid Shaolin stances and styles

Discussion in 'Lei' started by masterpo, Aug 6, 2008.

1. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

..................... Someone needs to lay off the crack pipe for a while.

2. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Not only was he sent to eliminate Lau's style, but at some point he wants to learn it for himself [​IMG] How? Is he going to become Lau's disciple once they meet up [​IMG] Or does he believe in the process of fighting Lau will show him everything there is to know about Koen Ken. Yeah, its a crazy story for a Xiao Lin monk. A more suitable story would be to have Lei-Fei involved in freeing or restoring Dural back to her original form using some secret art of the Temple [​IMG] Monks don't seek to destory but to preserve [​IMG]

3. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

I just stumbled on this kung fu movie that has many of Lei Fei's strikes and kicks in it. It called "Mysteries of the Shaolin Temple" Its pretty good actually. Yea , A lot of his kung fu is "movie kung fu" But some "movie kung fu" is based on real kung fu, so one of these days I'm going to finish my project and go through all of his moves and identify the "movie kung fu moves", the "real kung fu moves" and the "non kung fu moves" [​IMG]

4. kil

kil Well-Known Member

XBL:
    kildamonk
    some stances r hella retarded

5. SullyTramp

SullyTramp New Member

I'm (mostly) certain that Lei-Fei's weird story comes from the kung-fu flick Beggar of No Equal, where the emperor assembles the leaders of several martial arts, the Shaolin monk being the most noticeable in the crowd, to enforce the new law that all powerful gong-fu is outlawed punishable by death. It's sort of hard to tell because the film was from the 60's and the translations were -awful- ("anyone who does not submit will be died") and half of dialog was cut off from the screen. Good movie in terms of action, though.

6. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    You could be right there!, but lei fei's story could also have been adopted from one of the many Gordon Liu Shaolin sagas e.g five shaolin masters, 36th chamber, etc.

It seems like its relatively easy to get who and what inspired
    the tekken characters. In some cases Namco helps out. But Sega [​IMG] They barely lift a finger to help validate the mythos of VF [​IMG] That Beggar of No Equal does look like a
    good candidate though for the Lei Fei back story.

Was the action based off Southern Kung Fu or Northern Styles?

7. jrcma

jrcma Well-Known Member

I also agree he could be based off of THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN & Chang Cheh's SHAOLIN TEMPLE series of films yet the action on those films was by "Pops" Liu Chia Liang(Lau Kar Leung) so they were very much Hung Gar/Hung Kuen in Choreography so historically speak most of the forms didn't even exist until long after South Shaolin burnt down...but the story Legends of Shaolin so & some what true so Fei story could be based on them some what who knows I kind of like not know Fei story in a way cos it just makes me the character is like from a 70's/80's "shapes" about Shaolin.

BEGGAR HAVE NO EQUAL stars Chi Kuan Chun who's a Hung Gar stylist so all his films are very much Southern based though KFfilms mix up the Northern Kicks & Southern Fists into one often nor like I said for 36 it's often not accurate it ture historically, style, region ect

8. phanatik

phanatik Well-Known Member

XBL:
    I phanatik I
    I practice a northern shaolin style: Ching Lung Kuoshu Kwan or Green Dragon Kwan, which consists of five animals--dragon, tiger, monkey, crane, and snake, and came straight from shaolin.
    All of Lei's stances are legit. Doku is crane or single leg; Hai is arrow; Koko is a reverse cat stance; Nehan is sitting stance or crossleg; Kyo is a cat stance; however, his arm positions in stance are different. Most of his strikes I am familiar with and I like the display of power Sega gave them. In reality, Lei's strikes would be devistating knowing that he would be exploding with Jing using Fajing, which is seen in some of his moves, especially his sabakis. I see long arms (traditional northern Lohan), palm, fist, and forearm strikes. All of his kicks are legit. Sega gave him what we call lift kicks, front kick, tornado, inside crescent, jump spinning crescent, broom sweep, jump spinning hook, jump spinning back or mule kick, foot stomp, mule kick, etc., etc. Interesting that Sega didn't give him a sidekick...everyone should have that.

9. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    you use lei fei for the same reason i use jacky. i study jkd and tai chi

phanatik likes this.
  10. phanatik

phanatik Well-Known Member

XBL:
    I phanatik I
    You all have it wrong. Chinese "movie kung fu" is dramatized Shaolin kung fu. Kung fu, wushu, or wuyi came long before movies LOL. One of the most famous movie stars, Gordon Liu, is an actual martial artist; he practices Hung Gar kung fu, even to this day. Hung Gar is a family art; it doesn't come directly from Shaolin. The kung fu Lei-Fei displays is traditional Nothern Shaolin.

Also, kung fu simply means "proficiency through hard work." If you were good at something, it could be anything, it was said that you had kung fu in that discipline, whether fighting or sculpturing. Therefore, if you practice Chinese martial arts, you do not have kung fu until you have acquired a certain skill level...usually black sash. Wuyi is the most accurate word for martial art.

soke likes this.