1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lei: Final Tuned

Discussion in 'Lei' started by Myke, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Lei Fei

This time we'll focus on his largely powered up movement skills, as well as his phatasmagorical attacks. We'll also check his other changes.

Strengthening Mid Range

The suprise attack Haishiki [P]+[G] has been added to flow from the forward roll. For the opponent, it's a fearful attack from a distance where attacks wouldn't appear to reach. However, if it's predicted the opponent can retaliate well, so be sure to not overuse it.

As per the last version, the Haishiki [P][P]+[K] should be used as a main weapon, and to confuse them from stance changes, but balance is important. Also, pressuring them with the forward roll is interesting.
    The BT [8][K] is not an attacking move, but is used to maintain space from the opponent while going into haishiki. There are many ways for Lei Fei to go BT, and this is useful in maintaining it. Even if you are temporarily attacked, the strength of the move should stuff it.

Other Fine Points of Change

At close range, Lei's lifeline is his [3][3][P][P], but now on guard it's -14, and the timing after stopping at the first hit has been slowed. However, the second hit is mid, so you can still apply the throw hit ni-taku.
    Other than that, the Haishiki [P][P] second hit is now high, but if you force them to block it the advantage is unchanged. If the opponent tries to interrupt with a low hit, you can do the haishiki [P][P]+[K] and get a CH, then link to throw.

Also, the disadvantage after guard of the [6][6][P]+[K] has been largely increased, so be careful. The [K]->bokutai ([K] (hits or guards)~[2]) to bokutai [3][K] cannot be interrupted if the kick hits, so you should remember this.

About Changed Moves

The changed [P][P][P], as compared to VF4Evo [P][P][P], if the first hit connects on normal hit it gives +2. From this, you can mixup a thorw or hit. Also, if the second hit connects you can attack from haishiki, and it's only -3 so there's not a lot that can attack you. The third hit goes to bokutai.

source: Arcadia Issue 52
    translated by: noodalls

2. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

TY myke /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

And thank you noodalls!

4. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    [ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:
    Lei Fei

This time we'll focus on his largely powered up movement skills, as well as his phatasmagorical attacks. We'll also check his other changes.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok, wtf does "phatasmagorical " mean?

You guys need to stop making up words when you don't know what something means in Japanese...

/versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

Ghost like? Sneaky? Here or there?

OR

Phantasmagorical

adj : characterized by fantastic imagery and incongruous juxtapositions.

So in English: Flashy, cool looking moves.

6. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    First of all, there was no "n" in the quote I made. Second of all, looking it up is cheating.

/versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Edit: Also, Myke, not to hate on the system you've got going... but is there anywhere that the new moves for characters in FT have been posted? In this section of the forums, I mean. Could you post the new moves, along with the analysis of each characters changes moves in their respective threads?

7. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Moved from another thread.

[ QUOTE ]
    PGhacker said:

Ididn't see any FT thread about Lei, so maybe I could write down few words and you guys could help me out by adding some more shit.

About some new moves :
    BK - [8][K] : it looks really cool, and it will sabaki the opponents attacks(high, mid, - i think) so lei can run away safely and in style

Bokutai - [3][K] : it doesn't really seem all that useful, but it does look cool, and since it breaks guard(opponent staggers), it doesnt seem all that useless either.

A2 [P][P][P] - high, high, half circular mid attack. It looks stylish, but imo, i dont think it will be as useful as the standard [P][P][P], since the second P goes into 2P+K+G. but no worries, because it works with all the combos that worked with standard [P][P][P] (so far)

combo throw [8][4][2][6][P]+[G],[4][6][P]+[G],[2][3][6][P]+[G] : this combo throw has to be inputted much slower than what you may think it should be, but accurately. the damage is nice and looks niiiice

[6][P]+[K]+[G] from [8][P]+[K]+[G] stance attacks - you can either [K] or [P]+[G] from the rolling shit to either throw or attack the opponent. if the K goes in, combos similar to [9][K]+[G] goes in, and the throw.. doesnt seem all that useful if the opponent is good at fuzzy guarding. The biggest problem with this new attack is that Lei rolls straight.

ill add mroe stuff if needed and plz add if you feel like adding something

[/ QUOTE ]

8. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Phantasmogorical was what my computer translator spat out, I'm definitely not going to a kanji dictionary for each and every word I don't know (yes, I left out the n the first time, and probably got it wrong this time too.) But, I checked it this time, and the dictionary had "ever-changing" which is probably a more apt word.

The characters are hen - change gen - demon (the name for the espers in FFVI I think) ji - self zai - exist.

Anyway, that's why it was such a strange word in there. I generally try to translate as much as possible, even if it means I'm going to mess some stuff up, and like any magazine article there is quite a lot of filler in there, I try to add that just for completeness' sake.

Back to lei fei

Is the roll into kick or throw really a mix up? Can you not just throw break on reaction? It still seems to be effective after a few weeks, but on a theory fighter level I'm kinda stuck as to why it would be. Anybody?

9. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    b4k4 said:

Edit: Also, Myke, not to hate on the system you've got going... but is there anywhere that the new moves for characters in FT have been posted? In this section of the forums, I mean. Could you post the new moves, along with the analysis of each characters changes moves in their respective threads?

[/ QUOTE ]

I simply don't have that information with me, and if I did, it would require lots of translation effort. I believe Srider has the FT guide and is translating some stuff for characters which is about the best source of info we got right now!

However, I'm working on getting FT command lists up with some help, so stay tuned for that.

In the meantime I would suggest just watching the FT movies that get posted and you might learn something new or see something different.

10. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    noodalls said:

Phantasmogorical was what my computer translator spat out

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm telling you, PHANTASMOGORICAL is the perfect word to describe the new Lei! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif The new throws, namely the combo throw and the throw from the roll are really... phantasmogorical! /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

which brings me to..

[ QUOTE ]

Back to lei fei

Is the roll into kick or throw really a mix up? Can you not just throw break on reaction? It still seems to be effective after a few weeks, but on a theory fighter level I'm kinda stuck as to why it would be. Anybody?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, right now it's a pretty strong mixup. I've eaten both throw and double kicks simply because I'm not used to dealing with the roll. Can someone confirm if the throw is really escapable? Since the kicks are linear it should be easily dealt with an evade throw escape with guard, but timing of the evade is what takes getting used to. Or anyone with a midkick reversal can RTEG ([1][P]+[K][P]+[G][G]) /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ideally, you want to be quick enough to hit (or low throw) Lei out of the roll.

11. PGhacker

PGhacker Well-Known Member

to the best of my knowledge, it is not escapable because it is a catch throw.. so i guess there is really no use in doing throw escapes.. which makes the situation a little more difficult to handle

P.S. : this info ,, i got from Haewon, Korea's best lei playa /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. PGhacker

PGhacker Well-Known Member

When you defend against Lei fei :
    since the low punch doesnt work when lei rolls, the second choice would be low kick.
    but if you are using lei and playing against lei fei, you can use [3][K] when the opponent lei is rolling. According to Haewon's experience, if the red counter occurs due to [3][K], throw is guaranteed.

13. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

give me some phantasmagorial updates !! /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

14. noodalls

Phatasmo blah blah update.

Lei Fei Combo Maniacs
    Orange Mook
    Text - Hanbirei
    Translation - Noodalls

[9][K]+[G]
    1. [2][P] [P][P][P] (B2)
    2. [2][P] [4][6][P], [3][K]
    3. [2][P] [2][P]+[K][P]
    4. [2][P] [P]+[K][P]
    5. [P][P][P](B1) or [P][P][P] (B2)

First the open stance combos. 1 will connect on characters up to Jacky size. If you swap the [2][P] for a standing [P] the damage will go up slightly. That's limited to Pai, Aoi, Lei and Lion. Combo 2 will work except for Jacky and Heavy weights, however the [4][6][P]can be teched. For Jacky, combo 4 is recommended. For closed stance, except for heavy weights, combo 3 is recommended. Also, if the [2][P] is swapped for a standing [P] the damage rises. This works on Pai, Aoi, Vanessa, Sarah, Lei and Lion. 5 connects on heavy weights, irrespective of stance.

[3][3][P][P] or Boku [P]+[K]
    6. [P][P](b2) hai [P],[P]+[K]
    7. [2][P] [2][P]+[K][P]
    8. [P][P](b1) doku [K][K]
    9. [P][P](b1) doku[K]+[G]
    10. Hai [P][P]+[K] [K]+[G]
    11. Hai [P][P] doku [K]+[G]
    12. [4][K]+[G][K][2][K]

Depending which moveset you choose, the combos are changed greatly. Firstly, closed stance. 6 is the largest combo that will hit Pai and Vanessa. You can change the Hai [P][P]+[K] for Hai [P][P] for characters other than Vanessa, Pai and the heavy weights. This lowers the damage, but makes wakeups easier. A combo that works on all opponents for guaranteed damage is 12. 9 connects on all light weights except Aoi, and will connect on wolf. If the first hit of the [3][3][P][P] staggers Jacky then it will work on him too.
    9 (is this a misprint?) will connect on all characters, but Jeffrey can tech. In open stance, combo 7 is guaranteed on all characters. Use combo 10 on lightweights, and 11 is best for Kage, Brad and Goh. Boku [P]+[K] into 6,7,8,9 will connect in open stance, 10 will conect on lights and lightt middle weights on counter.

Hai [K] on counter hit or stagger hit
    13. Hai [P][P]+[K] [2][P]+[K][P]
    14. Hai [P][P]+[K] [K]+[G]
    15. Hai [P][P] doku [K]+[G]

13 for all light weights except Sarah, 15 for heavy weights and 14 for others. In combo 14, if you swap the [K]+[G] for [2_][6][P](A2) the damage goes up, so if you're using A2 definitely implement this.

[2_][6][P](A1) counter hit or [4][P] counter hit or Hai [P]+[K] maximum charge or Koko behind opponent [P]
    16. Hai [P][P] Doku [K][K]
    17. Doku [K][K]
    18. [2][P] [6][6][K]
    19. [2][P]+[K][P]

When [2_][6][P](A1) counters, 17 is guaranteed and gives good chance to okizemi, as the basic combo. In open stance, 18 connects except against Lei, Shun, Akira and the heavyweights giving good damage. Also, you can hold the [K] to go into doku, and then pressure them with doku [6][P]+[K]+[G] [P]+[G] or [K]. After [4][P], 16 will land on Lion and the heavy weights in closed stance, taking about 70 damage. On other characters, Hai [P] will connect (there was a misprint here. I think this is what they meant.) In open stance, 19 will connect.

[4][6][P]+[K] or [2][3][6][P]+[K] counter hit or sabaki or Koko [P]
    20. [4][P][P]
    21. [4][K]+[G][K][2]+[K]
    22. Hai [P][P] Doku [K][K]

After Koko P, you can do combo 17. If you're looking to Okizemi, combo 20, if you're looking for damage combo 21, change your combo depending on your situation. Also, if the [4][6][P]+[K] connects from slightly further away, you can get combo 22 in irregardless of stance on lightweights up to Akira.

[3][3][P]+[G]
    23. [3][3][P][P] [K]+[G]
    24. Evade [P]+[K]+[G][P] down [3][K]
    25. [6][6][K]
    26. [P][P][P](b2)

After the throw [3][3][P]+[G] use 23 on light weights and 24 on middle weights. Connect 25 on heavy weights. 26 is very dependent on distance, but the damage isn't bad. The opponents can tech-roll on the second hit, but the timing is tight. In the same way, the opponents can avoid the ground attack of 24, so make sure you observe carefully.

[9][K]
    27. [4][K]+[G][K][2][K]
    28. [4][P][P]

After the [9][K] combos 27 and 28 will connect in open stance. You might need to go into Doku and then cancel to achieve open stance.

Nehan [K] on counter hit
    30. Koko [K]

When Nehan [K] connects on counter hit, 30 is a true combo, taking nearly 85 damage.

[6][K]
    31. [2][K][P] (I think this is meant to be in Koko.)

When [6][K] connects on counter, Koko [2][K][P] is a combo.

When hai [P][P]+[K] hits on counter, a dash throw is guaranteed. If you can interrupt a heavy weight's rising attack with hai [P][P]+[K] (probably just the [P]+[K] part, but not specified) and you are close, [3][3][P][P] will string easily and will lead to about 1/2 of their life.

/versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

There were probably about 4-5 misprints in the combos, so I've tried to guess what the meanings are. Also, I don't really know English stances names (as I generally just refer to them in Japanese.) If this confuses anyone, let me know. Oh, and it's my first time using Icons for moves (in any game) so there's probably some errors there too. But anyway, enjoy.

Note, I've edited this further to make it more notationally correct. This was the first one I typed out, so it had a lot of my learning mistakes. Since then, I've improved, and decided I wanted Lei Fei's guide to be at least up to the standard of the others, seeing as he is my main. Let me know if there's anything still to be corrected.

15. noodalls

Lei Fei Strategies
    Source - Orange Mook
    Writer - Hanabirei
    Translation - Noodalls

Lei Fei
    Basic art of Using "Stances"
    As the word to summise Lei Fei, "stances". There are 5 types, amongst them dokuritsu ([8][P]+[K]+[G]), hai ([2][P]+[K]+[G]) and nehan ([1][P]+[K]+[G]) can be moved into at any time. Koko is entered automatically after certain set moves and bokutai (hai[2]) can only be entered from hai.

The basic way of attacking from these stances is to either attack using a stance move, or to change into another stance, or you can cancel the stance with the guard button and use a regular attack (or just guard). When you attack and go into stance, if you hit you'll generally be advantaged, whereas if you're guarded you'll be at a decent disadvantage or even have guaranteed retaliation, which is a concern. However, in this situation, you can use sabaki capable moves or evading moves to keep on attacking and maintain the flow.

One important thing is that while attacking from stance with strings is effective, it does let the opponent rather easily deal with your attacks. So, one important thing to do in an advantaged situation is to cancel the stane and mixup from there. For an opponent who likes to evade when you cancel your stance, throws are a good option.
    Also, cancelling stance and then evading is relatively effective. Especially against opponents that go for a big move while you're in stance, cancelling stance and evading then attacking them while they recover (e.g. [3][3][P][P]) leads into a combo with good damage, which is a good return. You just have to be sure of what attack it was that you evaded.

Photo captions
    - When using strings, you'll be unlikely to be interrupted, however for an opponent that knows the strings, they can avoid them quite easily. Even when you are advantaged, you need to pay due care to this.
    - For an opponent that does know Lei Fei, cancelling his stance and attacking from there is advantageous. Because the opponent is disadvantaged, you're unlikely to get thrown.

Dokuritsu Stance basics
    The ability to reverse high, mid and low single hand punches as well as elbow moves is one of the main features of Dokuritsu. The main moves that are used out of dokuritsu are dokuritsu [K]+[G] and dokuritsu [2][K], which cause stagger on hit. After the dokuritsu [2][K] you move into Hai, and Hai [P][P] is just about guaranteed. For opponents that are slow at struggling, Hai [K] can lead into a combo. Also, cancelling stance into a throw mid nitaku is an effective attack. Against opponents that evade when you're in an advantaged situation, the half circular dokuritsu[4][K] or dokuritsu[2]or[8][K]+[G] should be used. The latter is not just a full circular low attack, its evasive properties can also be used in a fairly disadvantaged situation to attack while avoid direct attacks, and so in this way it is a very functional defensive offense.
    At mid range, the main move is Dokuritsu [P] and from there the forward roll (Dokuritsu [6][P]+[K]+[G]) to reduce the distance, from which you can pressure with nitaku. While on the one hand, there are plentiful attacking moves from dokuritsu, on the other hand if you eat an unreversible move from the opponent, you'll go down irrespective of hit condition.

Photo captions
    - Dokuritsu [4][K] is even on guard. In addition to giving advantage on hit, a throw is very easy to land.
    - Kage's low kick gives foot crumple on normal hit. If you think an attack is coming, you can cancel the dokuritsu stance.

Hai Stance Basics
    Hai stance ([2][P]+[K]+[G]) by its low posture makes it easy to avoid many short range attacks. Further, possessing many functional moves is its special feature. The hai [P]+[K] used at medium to long range has quite long reach, and can be used to punish opponents whiffs, as well as for confusion at long range. When it hits with maximum charge, head crumple occurs, and you can look for big damage. Also, the opponent is staggered on guard, so you can continue the attack. If the opponent sees it he can easily avoid it, but conversely if you start to charge after you see his failed evade, he can't avoid it.

Hai [P] is Lei's absolute fastest attack, and can string into Hai [P][P] or Hai [P][P]+[K], which both give advantage on guard or hit, allowing you to keep attacking. If hai [P][P]+[K] hits on counter, you can dash and throw or if close enough even combo into [3][3][P][P]. Hai [K] if it connects on counter or during stagger will float. In stance when advantaged, if Lei can stuff the opponents attack with Hai [K] it leads to a lot of damage, so look for chances and aim to do this.

Photo captions.
    - Don't miss chances to land Hai [P]+[K]. But, depending on your opponent, there will be times where you get sabaki'ed.
    - When trying to connect Hai [P][P]+[K], input the first [P] as [P]+[K]+[G]. You can punch without advancing, and so it makes it hard for the opponent to stuff.

Nehan Stance Basics
    Because when you go into Nehan from normal stance, you separate yourself a little from the opponent, more thank intending to attack, the basic principle of nehan is either to defend or to setup to go into other stances. If you go into Nehan from Hai, you can change stances while creating distance, and then you can change back to Hai or Dokuritsu and attack from there. But, getting to nehan after attacking is a different matter, as his main opportunities for attack are his (High and middle punch and kick, elbow , middle kick and knee sabaki'ing) nehan [P]+[K] and nehan [P]. Both of these are neutral on guard, and 2 frames advantage on hit (there are cases however where after nehan [P] connects throws can be ducked), which is very strong, and you can flow from there.
    If nehan [P]+[K][P] is blocked, it gives advantage, and on counter hit it links through to nehan [P]+[K][P][P] for stomach crumple. Nehan [P][K] gives advantage on block, is special high and on counter hit can link into dokuritsu [K]+[G] or dokuritsu [4][K]. Of course, the opponent might expect this, so make them think that it's coming and then go for a throw.

Photo Captions
    - If koko [K] hits, go for nehan [K]. If that hits on counter ...
    - Koko [2][K][P] is guaranteed, and you can get some big damage. If nehan [K] is blocked, you're advantaged.

Koko basics
    The two main ways to get into Koko are [6][K] and [P]+[K][P] (definitely a typo, should be [3]or[9][P]+[K]?). The first thing to be aware of is Koko [P], which parries single handed punch and kick attacks, elbows, middle kicks and knees, gives head crumple on normal hit. The sabaki time is long, and its properties are excellent, but because of this the opponents will be wary of it. If it is evaded, the risk is great, so use it at times like where [6][K] whiffs.
    Koko [K] has the ability to sabaki low attacks, and is strong against high attacks, and changes into nehan stance. Also, if [6][K] counter hits, it is guaranteed. Further, on hit it causes a stagger. Koko [2][K][P][P] is a low, high, high, mid string, which if the first hit connects natural combos until the third hit, and will go into dokuritsu stane. The last hit is mid and is half circular, so it's good to use it sometimes. Also, if you mixup between dokuritsu [2][K] and dokuritsu [K]+[G] you will often connect with opponents trying to evade the fourth hit. Also, if you move backwards and forwards in koko stance, short range moves will often be avoided.

Photo captions
    - In okizemi, you can shift to koko stance and then use sabaki attacks to go through the opponents rising attacks.
    - For opponents that hate getting sabaki'ed, and go for low attacks, koko [K] is effective. The priority is strong, so high attacks won't connect! And, there's something more ... (p.175 = towards the end of the post.)

Bokutai basics
    Bokutai, because of its low profile is effective at evading the opponents high and mid attacks. You can only get to it from Hai or from [K] (by [K][2]). In close fighting, use lots of his quickest attack bokutai [3][K]. If guarded the opponent is staggered, but the stagger time is short, so if the opponent struggles then Lei Fei will be disadvantaged. Because of this, don't wastefully try for nitaku, instead watch the opponent to see what they do. Against opponents who evade, you can either stay in bokutai a little longer then bokutai [3][K] or change to dokuritsu pressure with dokuritsu [2][K] as a delayed attack. (If you don't delay it a little it's hard to connect.)
    In bokutai at mid-range, use it in response to your opponent. Use bokutai [P]+[K] to skillfully evade your opponent's attack. This move is special high, so it will connect with low moves while they are recovering. and you can go for about the same combos as after [3][3][P][P]. If you're worried about whether or not it will connect while they recover, you can go for bokutai [3][K] or bokutai [P][P]. Bokutai [P][P] is high, mid, and the second hit has only a small disadvantage, but if the opponent is ready for this you can always swap the second hit for a throw, for a good string.

Photo captions
    - If [K] connects during their recovery, bokutai [3][K] cannot be interrupted. Even on normal hit, it will beat most moves.
    - Rather than in their face, a little bit back is the ideal distance. Also, the lowest point comes slightly after pulling down on the joystick, allowing even Akira's [2_][4][6][P] to be evaded.

Use stances in Special situations
    If during stance, yours and the opponents sides switch, the stance will not change and the opponent will be at your back. From FT, if in dokuritsu and hai stances you press towards the opponent, then Lei Fei will turn to face them, but there are advantages to being backturned in stance. There are some great moves that exist in backturned stance. Particularly, BT stance [P] will cause vital point stun on normal hit or above, and is even on guard. BT stance [K] is -5 on guard, and while like other moves with the same motion, it is superior in its properties.
    If you're trying for BT koko, at present there are 3 ways to achieve it. After [9][K]+[G] [2][P] [2][P]+[K][P] if the opponent techs to the side you can dash towards them 3 times. Timing your BT [P]+[K] attack to coincide with the opponent's rising attack. Or using [6][6][K]+[G] in time with the opponent's rising attack. In real battles, the dashing technique is the most effective. Against opponents who are ready for BT koko stance, break the stance and throw them.

Photo captions
    - Once you get used to it, you can adlib and make different positions. This might be the most effective use of stances.
    - BT Hai also has special moves. Essentially, they cancel the motion and the move comes out while BT.

Remeber the fighting styles for different ranges.

Close range fighting guide
    Lei doesn't possess a standard [P]. His [P] (B1) on normal hit is -1, whereas his cahnge move [P] (B2) is +2 on normal hit. After [P] (B2) hits, you might want to use his [6][6][P] (the move that has the role of other character's elbows), but because of the dash motion, it actually comes out at 15 frames, so if the opponent [2][P]s it's tough. If you want to deal with the opponent's [2][P], you can back dash and then use [3][3][P][P] or [9][K]+[G]. Also, after [P][P] you can either attack from stance or go for [P][P][P], however the usage varies depending on change moves (reference the photograph on the right = captions in this translation.)
    After a [2][P] hits, or similar to give a slight advantage at close range, mainly go for [6][6][P], [2_][6][P] (A1) or [2][P]+[K]. [6][6][P] has quick execution, and it pushes the opponent back somewhat, so with defensive options like backdashing and moving into hai it's relatively safe.
    [2][P]+[K] makes the opponent think that the next hit is coming, so they'll be reluctant to interrupt, and even if it guarded you can attack from nehan stance. [2_][6][P] (A1) gives stomach crumple on counter hit, allowing you to go for a combo worth about 30% of their health. In largely advantaged situations, go for [9][K]+[G] or [3][3][P][P]. [9][K]+[G] is good as an atemi counter, and is great because the combos don't change between normal and counter hit. The hit confirmation on [3][3][P][P] is difficult, but after it hits you can go for big combo damage. Because of this, when guarded, mix up by making them fear you delaying the second hit and then stopping after the first hit and throwing, to give a good nitaku.
    Also, if it seems the opponent is evading the attacks outlined up to here, you can of course go for a throw or the fully circular [6][K]. This attack isn't just good for attacking evaders, it also links into koko[K] on counter hit.

Captions
    - [P][P] (B1) is a high mid string, but on either guard or hit you will be attacked, so if you are yomi'ed you will eat a big move.
    - [P][P] (B2) is a high high string, It only gives advantage on hit. If guarded, you can move into bokutai to flow.

Middle to long range fighting guide.
    When you are separated from your opponent, hai[P]+[K] (check the stances section) and otherwise, doku [6][P]+[K]+[G] [K] or doku [6][P]+[K]+[G] [P]+[G] should be used widely.
    doku [6][P]+[K]+[G] [K] is a two-hit move, and on hit allows for the same combos as from [9][K]+[G] to connect. doku [6][P]+[K]+[G] [P]+[G] is a catch throw from the forward roll, so there is no throw escape. If you can just get the timing right, there are many chances to evade mid attacks while closing the distance and fairly much guaranteeing this. Against opponents who try to use middle-kick sabaki attacks against the roll, you can evade or use normal attacks from the roll. This is quite effective.
    Once you've made your opponent expect the attacks from the forward roll, you can mix in the hai [P]+[K] and make them afraid to interrupt, allowing you to take distance with easy.

Photo captions
    - If your hai [P]+[K] is being dealt with by Jacky's neutral Pak Sao, use [3][K]+[G][K]. You can go for combos after the first hit.

About throw options
    For all of Lei's throws, the commands tend to end in the same directions, so his number of throw directions is poor. Because of this, needing to vary between his directions is very important. His most damaging throw is [3][3][P]+[G] which if you include the combo comes to over 60 damage. It's the throw that the opponents will be most wary of, so even in throw guaranteed situations, it will be difficult to land it. Therefore, try to incorporate it as past of attacking strings.
    Next, his three part throw [2][4][8][6]or[8][4][2][6][P]+[G] [4][6][P]+[G] [2][3][6][P]+[G]. The damage is good, but due to the difficulty of the command, actually getting the throw is difficult. If you miss the command and stop half way through, you will be in a disadvantaged situation and the damage will only be slight, so you have to be careful.
    Also, the damage drops, but [P]+[G] and [6][4][P]+[G] can be used against the opponents throw break buffering. [6][4][P]+[G] and [6][6][P]+[G], because of the command can easily be buffered into a dash, making them threatening from mid-range.
    When you have an opponent trapped close to the ring edge, you can go for a ring out with Dokuritsu [6][P]+[K]+[G] [P]+[G], [6][6][P]+[G] or [2][4][8][6]or[8][4][2][6][P]+[G] [4][6][P]+[G] [2][3][6][P]+[G]. With Dokuritsu [6][P]+[K]+[G] [P]+[G] there is a chance of being thrown by the opponent while you roll, and you might get suprised by being ringed out yourself, so it pays to buffer a throw break as well for protection.

Photo captions
    - The commands are difficult, and if you miss the damage is 15. If you play Lei you will have to be able to get this out consistently.
    - When using [6][6][P]+[G], after landing the throw your feet move forward first, so you have to be careful not to ring yourself out.
    - [6][4][P]+[G] swaps positions with your opponent, and also because of the way that they lie on the ground, okizemi is easy to affect.
    - If the opponent tries to attack after [6][4][P]+[G], evade and then aim for [9][K]+[G].

Guaranteed counters
    At 16 frames or above, [9][K]+[G] gives a combo for about 40-50 damage. The damge for situations less than that is various.
    If you connect a throw, you get good damage, however when you consider that you can be throw-escaped, creativity is essential.

Advantage - Move
    8~ Throw
    12~ [P] strings or [2][P]
    14~ [4][3][P] or [K]
    15~ [6][6][P]
    16~ [9][K]+[G]
    17=<[9][K]

Extracting the special properties of Lei's attacking defence.
    When against a wall.
    When Lei has pressured his opponents up against a wall, his attacking power increases by powers. At close to middle range near a wall, [6][6][P] becomes his main weapon. Even if a little away from the wall, it will give wall stagger, and you can often land [6][6][P] [2_][6][P] [3][3][P][P] [9][P]. When more separated, [6][6][P] into [9][K] [4][P][P] [9][P] combo will take about half of their life.
    When you have the opponent trapped against the wall, use Hai[P][P]+[K] . If you CH they will be wall staggered and you can go for the same combos as after [6][6][P]. If they guard then throw or [6][6][P], a powerful nitaku. Often when they freeze up, a throw is easy to connect. Also, [6][6][P]+[K] is useful. If this half circular moves connects, wall stagger will occur, and you can either delay slightly to get a throw, or use Hai [8]or[2][K]+[G] to knock them down, then follow with a down [3][K].
    When further away from the wall, try using Dokuritsu [P]. It has better range than [6][6][P] when looking to get a wall stagger. Also, the disadvantage on block is small, so if you follow with Hai [P][P]+[K] you generally won't be interrupted, and can get a wall stagger from the counter hit. Against opponents that retaliate with a low move, [4][P]+[K]+[G] will retreat slightly while going into Dokuritsu stance, and from here you can try Dokuritsu [P] again. Because of the stance change, it automatically becomes a delayed attack. If it hits, the combo is Dokuritsu [P] Hai [K] Hai [P][P]+[K] [9][P].

Photo captions
    - On a half fence stage, it depends on your opponent, but after wall stagger [9][K] can lead to a ring out right there. The larger the opponent's body the greater the chance of them falling (going over the fence) and you can end the match right there.

At disadvantage, Sabaki and Evasion
    In close range fighting, the [2][3][6][P]+[K] is invaluable. It sabaki's high and mid single handed punch attacks as well as elbows, and if it sabaki's or hits on counter the opponent is head crumpled. When you get hit by the opponent's [P] or [2][P], you can use it to avoid the opponent's elbow/throw mixup and steal some damage.
    Other than that, at disadvantage [4][6][P]+[K] and [3] or [9]+[P]+[K] are useful. With good timing, a [4][6][P]+[K] can be used to avoid even a middle kick. The evasive properties are better in open stance.

Photo captions
    - More than when you guard an opponent's attack, when you are hit by an opponent's attack [2][3][6][P]+[K] is valuable. Throw it out in these situations.
    - Protip - Jumping [K] into sweep ([2]roundhouse[K]) is a great combo. Use that against your friends to show them who's boss!!!
    - [3]or[9][P]+[K] will win against the opponent's [2][P]/throw mixup when at small disadvantage. Going for the opponent's front is more advantageous.

When in stance and your opponent's attack is guaranteed.
    When fighting Akira, and your [2][P]+[K][P] is blocked, you eat a guaranteed [2_][4][6][P]. In this situation, you hope the opponent will miss, and execute a a sabaki attack. Suddenly, it hits on counter, and the resultant damage becomes very large.... If you abare with Koko [K], the damage is less than for a normal hit.
    Or, in situations liken when your [P][P][P](B1) was evaded, you shift into Bokutai. You are considered crouching, so even if you are hit with a float move, you won't float very high.

Photo captions
    - You are hit by Akira's [2_][4][6][P] on big counter, the resultant damage is only this much (shown in the photo.) It's about 2/3 of a normal hit. Quite an unexpected bit of information.
    - If your stance changing move is blocked and you're at a disadvantage, try throwing out dokuritsu[8]or[2][K]+[G], as it will help in many situations. But, the disadvantage is great and so the risk is high.

Use his plentiful low attacks.
    Lei has many low attacks available. In order to overcome their guard, use them reasonably. At close range, his [6][6][P]+[K] is difficult to see coming, and being half circular it is difficult to guard. It is also good as a kezuri(?) move. However, it is disadvantage on all but counter hits, so deal with this by using [3]or[9][P]+[K], ARE or backdash. His [2][K]+[G], by nature of its very low stance can duck under even an opponent's [2][P] while still hitting, so long as you retrat a little bit to give it room.
    The longest range attack is his BT [2][K]. Go into BT stance at long range, and you can use it to attack while avoiding the opponent's attacks.

Photo captions
    - After [2][K]+[G] hits, [2_][6][P] is useful as reverse-nitaku. This move attacks while evading high attacks, and is easy to hit on counter.

Ukemizemi (attacking techrolls)
    Attacking their tech roll, use full circular moves like [6][K], his many circular low attacks or his evade attack, and half circular moves like [6][P][P], [6][6][P]+[K], [8][K]+[G] to attack then once he starts to guard mixup between throw and mid attack. For oppoents that tech and don't press guard, it's difficult to pressure with direct attacks, so avoid his abare attacks with bokutai stance and use bokutai [P]+[K] to attack is effective. If the opponent appears to freeze up and is watching for attackings from bokutai, start to mix them up with different attacks.
    Conversely, for opponents who rise on the spot, they are easy to attack. For opponents that do this after head crumple, be sure to remember to attack them with attacks that cannot be evaded.

Photo captions
    - Lei's [8][K]+[G] and ?typo here, looks like either [3]or[9][P]+[K] or [6][6][P]? have no counters, and are useful for people that rise in place. Make your opponent fear these.
    - Then, if the opponent doesn't tech, switch to [9][K]+[G] to make them think about teching while hitting them with this bound combo.

16. pkg_inc

pkg_inc Well-Known Member

Thank you Noodalls! Truly apreciate it! /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

17. noodalls

Still nobody has commented on the little easter egg I threw in the middle of that Lei strat. Anybody bothered to read it all yet?

18. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

"Kage's low kick gives foot crumple on normal hit. If you think an attack is coming, you can cancel the dokuritsu stance. "

I thought all hits when you were in a stance counted as counters no matter what?

And I just read through the entire thing... didn't find anything *too* out of the ordinary (and I don't play lei).

19. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Nice stuff as usual noodalls! That shoto combo is dope! That was like the best thing ever when I was 13 years old.

The tidbit about Akira's doublepalm vs blocked [2]+[P]+[K][P] -> tiger [P] was interesting.

20. noodalls

Dandy_J is teh winner!!!!