1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lei Shiki Fei Today vs JeetKuneDo

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by NewB_4_Life, Jun 26, 2002.

1. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    In reply to Gaijinpunch, he brought up a good point about readability. Really no one should bash Jacky or Lau for being too strong. The simple truth is because you have so many people that play these characters, people have more experience fighting against them. Once you learn how to block the characters main moves, you take away their best weapons. Jacky and Lau had the same problems they had in VF3, tons of people play them and they are great intermediate characters but once you get really high up, it actually becomes very hard to win with them, and you have to work very hard to get every hit you can in. The more readable the character is, the worse it is for the high level player who is using them.

CrewNYC

2. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Yeah, but mid-level & high-level Jacky's usually mix their attacks up. I feel Jacky just has too many guessing games going on, that unless a bit of luck is on your side, toppling a half-decent Jacky isn't so easy. Hell, I even popped 100 yen in the other day and tried him out, and beat several people, and I only knew a few moves. Prime example would be one of the following:
    [6][P](wait for opponent to crouch)[P]+[K][P][7][K]+[G]
    [6][P](opponent doesn't crouch)[3][3][P]+[G]
    Either way, it's a lot of damage, and after [6][P] hits you, recovery is too long to get an attack in -- you'll either get whacked or thrown.

Things I think would even out Jacky's game.
    -[6][6][K] knocks opponent down (or doesn't cause stagger)
    -[1][P][1][K] - make the K harder to connect. Seems he's got the best attack like this in the game. Way better than Shun's (same command) or Lion's [2][K][K] -- very delayable
    -Make [7][K]+[G] harder to hit with - I don't recall people using this so much in Ver. C, but the combo you see the most in EVO is [P]+[K][P] which floats on counter, and I think even if the opponent is crouching, then [P][7][K]+[G]. An extremely EASY and high damage combo.
    -Add a couple of frames after [6][P] -- this one isn't so much for damage or anything, but for fun. I find it EXTREMELY boring to play against a Jacky that [6][P]'s all day long. Yeah, I know it's useful, but I'd rather have fun.
    Same goes for Lau's elbow really.

Not that Lei Fei doesn't have any abuseable or ridiculously strong combos (he's got plenty) I think it's much funner to watch a high level Lei Fei than pretty much any character in the game. I've got a buddy that's just as good w/ Lei Fei as any of those other guys (can't believe he only got to 10-dan though). Very fun to watch - mixes it up, and totally kicks ass.

Akira I'm torn on - while I've got respect for high-level akira players, too often you see the elbow which crumbles on counter, then [6][6][K][K] -- more than a few times in a match.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jacky is strong -- really strong. He's made for beginners. The problem is when skilled players use him, they're lethal -- more so than other characters. Having that said (and to be fair) I generally have a problem with any character taking off half the life-bar using one combo w/o the wall, which Jacky, Lau, and Akira can all do with a bit of effort. Jeffry w/o much effort.

3. lau_fists

lau_fists Well-Known Member

This theory about high-level Laus and Jackys having to work harder makes sense, until you realize that it takes one fatal f'ing mistake for both of them to take off sick damage. I mean, christ, Lau's reverse supercrescent does like 45 damage, and there's nothing you can do about it when you're floated. Sarah has that jive-ass ability to hang you in the air and flamingo kick the shit out of you, but I can almost understand that given her lack of power. If you're playing Lau and Jacky, you're looking for the big kill combo. All the Laus and Jackys I've seen spend their time trying to jack people in the air; you rarely see them focusing on throwing. Lau's got a great throw game, but I don't know about Jacky. Regardless, too much damage too quick, and you're always behind the 8-ball if you're caught by one of them. And really, how are you going to avoid it? One mistake. Lau and Jacky can come back from a couple of mistakes and STILL murder you, if you're Aoi or Shun. There IS an imbalance in the game, in that sense.

4. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

What does ANY of this have to do with JKD or kung fu?

5. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Does it really matter? Isn't that what a message board is for, to post ideas? Most threads go way off after 20 posts.

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

And on that note, these ideas can be freely discussed, but they no longer have much to do with the VF board. I would move the thread, but it seems to have dwindled down. So amma lock it. If anyone needs to get more lei fei shiki crap off their chest, feel free to start a post in general.