1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's do an Aoi thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by ice-9, Mar 3, 2001.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I want to beef up my Aoi. Although I am finally beginning to understand what kind of a player Aoi is, I must admit I don't know that much about her. So what I propose is to create a thread and for everyone to post an interesting combo/tactic they know about her.

I'll start it off:

"Staple" back combos:

F+P+K, P -> sweep
    f+K,K -> sweep

Also, did you know that on counter her last elbow is guaranteed in P,P,F+P,P?

Come on guys, show off your knowledge of the lady!

ice-9

2. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

her ground throw is best done in the following situations:
    after her FC throw,
    after her 'spin around' high punch reversal,
    after her wall throw,
    after her somersault kick reversal

3. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

I play Aoi mostly with G-cancels, inashi and lots of reversals - very yomi. I find that guaranteed combos with her are rare to pull off, since she depends heavily on MC'ing with f+P+K, df+p, f+K and D,f+P, and even when they connect for a float, her options on most circumstances are very limited.

I like also that she's a great character for Ura, since her dodge is very circular and closes in nicely.

One of her basic setups is her PPP,d+K string - given the level of your opponent, there are several options you can pick from: for example, if you think they can't or won't try to reverse the punches once the first one connects, you can either go for the sweep or G-cancel it into a low throw if you think they'll crouch block - even if they escape the low throw, which isn't all that difficult since Aoi only has one low throw, she won't be left in an awkward position. Conversely, if they anticipate the G-cancel, you can opt to finish with a standing K, which will stagger crouchers, albeit not for as long as an elbow, and allows for a host of other flowchart options.

That maybe an obvious thing, but I can find very real applications; if I think they're quick enough to reverse any punch in the string, I go for a few P(G), then PP,f+P(G - depends on the situation, if they crouch, I let the elbow stagger), etc.

I also find that Aoi is great for mind games, especially her df+PK, which surprisingly not many people that I've played are familiar with; once they're hit with it a few times, they'll likely stand up not to get low thrown, and luckily not throw a punch as an interrupt - in that case, you can just dash-throw or a sweep for more Ura openings. Or, if they remain crouching to attempt a throw escape, you can just wait for their whiff, or elbow stagger, or even go for another df+PK for effect.

On the subject of staggers, what I like to do the most against people who can struggle, but not that well, is CD+modified D, f+PG throw. It often works like a charm as an alternative to the regular dash-in throw. When they start anticipating it, you can just keep the CD, but instead of the throw go for a f+P, which will hit them out of struggling and is very likely to interrupt high Ps.

I find that her elbows are very slow compared to other character's, and have very limited range, so I mostly refrain from using them by themselves. In my opinion, Aoi can't and shouldn't be used as a PETE character. I oftentimes see myself staggering with f+K and going for the guaranteed hit afterwards, since she advances a little bit and the move comes out reasonably fast.

Anyway, I hope at least some of this wasn't too obvious - although Aoi is one of my most oft-played characters, I've been focusing more on tightening up my Wolf for awhile now.

cheers!

4. GreatDeceiver

I assume FC is from crouch, meaning her D,f+PG throw, yes?

I'm also pretty sure that the ground throw is guaranteed after her lowthrow.

cheers

5. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

yes and yes

6. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

The ground throw isn't GUARANTEED after her low throw, although it's rather hard to struggle.

7. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

actually yes and no.

ground throw is NOT garanteed after low throw,
    ppl just like to lie in the floor for a bit :)

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>
    fuck spelling!

8. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

You don't really have any guaranteed hits after her f+K - in fact, if your opponent struggles correctly, the situation is perfectly even (that is, 0 frames if he does the above, up to +7 frames advantage to Aoi if he doesn't). And if the knee hits within PPPK string and staggers, Aoi's in disadvantage.
    Aoi can be used as PETE character, although you should refrain from throwing a lot of elbows (throw counterable if blocked, big disadvantage if it's regular hit). I usually just mix a lot of P's and df+K's with reversals :p

9. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

How come the last elbow is guaranteed? It has 23 frames' execution...

10. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

i misread the earlier post. i said 'yes and yes' because i thought it said that the ground throw is guaranteed after the FC throw, when GD was actually on about her low throw.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by uk_kid on 03/03/01 03:49 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

11. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

For me, I like to play Aoi as a peck into throw, then try and play a get up game.
    P, G, d/fk => throw with maybe a crouching punch thrown in, or a guard cancelled movement.

d/f+p, d/f k, ground throw...I've found that just cause the d/f p is so rediculously slow, it can have that "I can't believe he did that crap" sort of surprise.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

On counter! I haven't done the math, so I can't say for certain, but surely at the very least it is *extremely* difficult to escape.

ice-9

13. GreatDeceiver

After further testing, I stand corrected :)

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Actually I'm going to have to back GLC on this one. The ground throw is by no means even close to being guaranteed...a little bit of struggling will get you out of it. Just try it against the CPU; I don't even think the computer lets you get away with it (on the hardest setting at least as far as I know).

ice-9

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ground throw after low throw is not guaranteed

nt

16. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

GLC, what's the low down in terms of frame advantage after a f+P or a f+P+K stagger? Is a cancel -> throw opportunity guaranteed?

ice-9

17. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Aoi is 5 frames BEHIND if P,P,f+P counters... so it's 28 frames for opponent to escape - I'd say the last P,P,F+P,P isn't guaranteed. Haven't checked it in practice though, maybe there's some special property?

18. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

f+P & f+P+K: -2 to +6 frames, the stat is the same for these two... it MAY be guaranteed, at least it's hard to struggle out of. On a side note, we shouldn't really talk about a "guaranteed throw during opponent's stagger" - since you can't throw during staggers; only after the stagger ends. So, WHEN you can throw depends entirely on your opponent's reaction to being staggered...

19. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Both arcade and DC CPU gets away from ground throw attempt, on every difficulty setting. Yes, it's not hard for a human to struggle - what I meant was "it's hard to struggle sometimes", meaning: wall/extreme angulation conditions.

20. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Ground throws & chops

Ground throw (df+P+G) guaranteed after:
    - crouch throw (FC,f+P+G), not vs. Taka
    - wall throw (db+P+G)
    - multi throw ending with (..d,u+P+G)
    - punch reversal from closed stance (b+P+K)
    - right-handed elbow reversal (db+P+K)
    - right-footed midkick reversal (db+P+K)
    Although all the above are guaranteed, you may want to easy up on ground throw attempts when opponent is uphill - sometimes the ground throw misses, leaving you open for ANY retaliation attack. If your opponent is just lying there, you may attempt reversals after Aoi's back throw (P+G) or low throw (d+P+K+G) but they're far from being guaranteed. Try maybe once per few fights, and only vs. mediocre players ;>

Ground chop (df+P) guaranteed after:
    - right-handed elbow reversal (db+P+K)
    - both midkick reversals (db+P+K)
    - both knee reversals (db+P+K)
    - kickflip/backflip reversal (ub+P+K)
    - low punch reversal from crouch (D+P+K)
    I didn't list any attacks/combos since the list would be too long and practically useless.