1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

LETS MAKE A BETTER VF6!...";)

Discussion in 'General' started by S_KILL, Dec 28, 2013.

1. S_KILL

S_KILL Well-Known Member

XBL:
    S KILL GR
    We know that VF's gameplay is more then good. What the game misses
    to be a commercial hit?
    Lets focus on its negative side in order to improve it.
    In my opinion:
    1. The cast is great and colorful. So, apart from the obvious adding more members,
    i want the original to be fleshed out more. Have special intro's and outros between rivalries.
    2.Better more appealing Scenario.
    3. For the love of God professional voice acting for all the cast and remove Leon Rafale's voice. Even better
    remove this dude and give his style to a better more serious character.
    4.Better memorable music.
    5.Flashy, stylish match enders.
    And thats a couple of what i can think for the time being.
    What do you think?
    Discuss/Share...;)

Star Outlaw likes this.
  2. Star Outlaw

Star Outlaw Active Member

PSN:
    Star_Outlaw
    XBL:
    Star Outlaw
    What you said, though I like the music. I'm hesitant to say there should be a story mode, but there should at least be arcade endings. Just overall, give the characters some more depth. It's there, but you have to actively search for it online.

Voice acting, or at least the English voice acting, does need improvement. I think it may have less to do with the actors and more with the direction. Jacky's VA can actually sound decent, which is what I thought of his dialogue in Virtua Quest. I think Sarah's is fine, Vanessa's has potential but maybe could be replaced. Same with Wolf. Lion and Jeffry, probably should be replaced. I kind of like El Blaze's voice, he just needs better direction. I think Brad is fine the way he is, don't change him.

Rivalry Intro and outros, I feel like we could make a whole other topic for that if there isn't one already. Jacky v Sara, Akira v Kage, Lau v Pai, Akira v Wolf, Pai v Lei-Fei, Lau v Lei-Fei, and Kage v Dural, Akira v Goh, Jacky v Goh, Sara v Vanessa, Jean v Goh, Jeffry v Wolf, Lion v Shun, Jeffry v Taka, Lau v Shun, Kage v Shun, Aoi v Brad, Jacky v Akira, Akira v Aoi, Taka v Aoi, Kage v Shun, Brad v any of the girls, Pai v Elieen, Wolf v Blaze...can't think of anything else right now.

Also, I think the series needs to focus on more of its sci-fi elements. It's a bit too realistic compared to Tekken and DOA, with their devil genes and magic ninjas. VF has cyborgs, and the Pachinko game shows some of J6's high tech soldiers, and even a couple of demons. But not too much, of course.

That aside, more flashy hit effects probably wouldn't hurt. I want the sound effects to stay the same, they're too iconic. They need to keep the character customization.

Puno_de_Leyenda likes this.
  3. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

I find myself with some time on my hands these holidays and so Im going to join the conversation with you guys, since I think this is the first time this topic came up (NOT).
    So, lets say for the sake of argument, you guys are right (you could be right, who knows what all the shit you have suggested may actually do in terms of sales)

I think posting suggestions here would be fairly pointless. VF is first and foremost a Japanese arcade game, that's where Sega is making money with VF, so any change would have to sit well with Japanese players first. I feel that any game (anything, not just games) has basically two ways of innovating: gradual innovation (building upon what came before) and all out innovation. VF is clearly innovating gradually; the question would be, "could new voice overs have the effect of pushing the older players away" (at the price of getting new ones in?). I personally don't care about voices at all. Some people here may care, but I never heard anybody flat out say "if they change Leon's voice I wont play VF again".

What i think its happening is that VF will probably stay as it current is. All the ideas that you guys have, think Sega will implement them in a NEW GAME, one that keeps VF 3 button system, and adds some of the bells whistles that may attract new customers,

However, I also think that at this point in time, new kids are not going to play VF or any game that is too demanding to learn. VF is too hard for kids used to play AAA games that almost play themselves...VF is a throwback to the older days, its not ever going to appeal to the mainstream. There is a certain pride in playing these old games, like fighting games and 2D shooters, they are the purest form of video-games in a sense, not trying to ape Hollywood movies but firmly set on the game part, warts and all.

I could be wrong, maybe VF6 is going to go all out on the little details that are so important to attract new customers...and if so, I will have to eat my hat or something.

4. Star Outlaw

PSN:
    Star_Outlaw
    XBL:
    Star Outlaw
    None of the suggestions should have any effect on the gameplay. It's just the presentations surrounding the actual fighting. I don't think Sega and AM2 can just keep recycling the same voice clips, so if they're going to record new lines, they might as well make them decent.

Changing the English voice actors I don't think is going to affect Japanese players and fans, since most probably don't understand English well enough to tell if the acting is good or not. I don't understand Japanese and I can't really judge if any of the Japanese in the series is actually good. Actually having subtitles might help. But it could go a long way to make the English speaking fans actually like the characters.

The point is, better voice actors along with rival intros and character endings would help to make the characters more interesting to casual players, both in Japan and elsewhere. Other fighting games like Street Fighter and Tekken aren't popular solely based on their gameplay, but because those games put in some effort to make the characterizations in game interesting and built up a world the characters live and interact in. It helps make things feel more immersive, and the player doesn't just feel like they're playing a game, they feel like they are that character doing all these cool moves in an epic battle.

The characters in VF feel more shallow in comparison, just filling out a certain stereotypes or archetypes and making them each little more than simply a different move set. They have their personalities, and I like those personalities, but that's it. Any motives are just in the manuals, and we don't know any of their strengths or flaws. There isn't much there that makes players really want to play as them. I believe that the biggest reason any casual player decides to play a fighting game is because there's at least one character in the roster that is cool and appeals to them. It's the reason casual players keep buying fighting games even when they aren't very good at them (combined with good gameplay, of course).

I imagine it's one factor in why crossover games like Marvel or Smash Brothers are so popular; how many people would have cared if either of those games had just used completely original characters? And I do believe that the VF cast does have a lot of untapped potential, but it needs to be shown in the games and not just explained in the manuals. I should be feeling some hype when I see a match between Jacky and Sarah or Akira and Kage, but not really because there's been almost zero build up of those rivalries. I really want to care about these characters, and I want there to be more fans who care. Hell, the pachinko game managed to do some of this stuff, I don't see why the main series can't.

VF has indeed always been arcade first, but in the long run I think that's cost the series a lot of potential fans. I don't think it's the gameplay that's keeping casual fans from playing this game. Maybe it's just me, but I picked up VF a lot quicker than practically any other fighting game I've played. The series has great depth, but that doesn't make it inaccessible or difficult to have fun with. I don't believe this is a hard game to play, it is simply a hard game to master, but you don't need to be a pro to have fun. New players just need to have a chance to play with other people at their own level.

I always considered the VF series to have some of the most dignity of any video game series. It can have better presentation without sacrificing its gameplay, there just needs to be a little effort. Some better voice acting, rival intros, and arcade endings, not even a story mode, aren't too much to ask for. Practically every other popular fighting game out there can manage that, I don't see why VF can't. I just want this game to have more fans.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  5. 11thKyuGod

11thKyuGod Member

PSN:
    tidrag3
    So wait, if Virtua Fighter 6 doesn't exist, then how can we make it better!? HOW WE CAN MAKE NOTHINGNESS BETTER!? Explain that S_Kill! EH!? You have something against nothing!? WHY! I'l have you know! THAT I HAVE A BROTHER NOTHING! How's that possible? Well, I don't have a brother, and I'm certain, he's quite offended by your statement!

But fo realz yo! I think the direction the guys at ole Sega Am2 are doing just fine, and I do agree with some of your suggestions, but I think the major thing Virtua Fighter needs, is better marketing. They need to advertise more, do something to get known! Make a bigger announcement, have internet ads if they can't do like commercials on TV or on Youtube, marketing is key fighting games! That's why the ones that advertise more are the mores successful ones, like Mortal Kombat, Tekken and Street Fighter.

Star Outlaw likes this.
  6. Star Outlaw

PSN:
    Star_Outlaw
    XBL:
    Star Outlaw
    Yeah, marketing would also be a big help. One more thing I can think of is maybe adding in a character profile viewer, kind of like in some of the past SoulCalibur and the last Mortal Kombat, where you can just view the character models, read their backstory and maybe listen to their voice clips. I know one of the past VFs, 3tb I think, let you listen to voice clips.