1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Talk About Hit Sparks

Discussion in 'General' started by Solomon Rayland, Feb 1, 2023.

?

What do you think about hit sparks?

1. Love them!

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Prefer them.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. They're fine.

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. Opposed to them.

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  5. Hate them!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. The worst thing ever!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Should be optional

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Solomon Rayland

Solomon Rayland Well-Known Member

Hey everyone. I'm back with the first thread I've posted in months. So recently, I've been thinking about hit sparks. I mean, it's pretty obvious that almost every member of the VF community hates hit sparks with a burning passion. So I thought, why not talk about it. Have a great day everyone, and be awesome!

2. 40i4

40i4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    mrxliiv
    XBL:
    xliiv360
    I propose to add "should be optional" answer ;)

3. Solomon Rayland

Rather not. Sorry! :)

4. Solomon Rayland

Why is this thread so empty? :(

GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  5. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I think for those that do come to VFDC, they are pretty much burnt out on this subject matter (except maybe Masterpo). The small poll so far suggest as a group, people are leaning slightly toward "they are fine". But it is not a schism of a hate and love as suggested by past posts on VFDC threads.

masterpo likes this.
  6. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    @akai I'm not burnt out on the subject my friend. I'v just thoroughly made my case:LOL:

I play games with hit sparks in them. Soul Calibur, Tekken, even Absolver and Sifu have hit sparks (of a sort). I play Absolver and Sifu all the time. And Soul Calibur is very near and dear to my heart. Its just that hit sparks are out of place in Virtua Fighter they demean the presentation. At the very least they should be optional.:confused:

I was very disappointed in Seiji Aoki, in that out of all of things he could have did with VF to celebrate Sega's 60th, he introduced Virtua Fighter with Hit Sparks:( Why not just do a complete port of VF5FS the entire community would have been happy and the single player content would have brought us permanent new players. :whistle:

But instead we got the red, purple, blue and yellow, no roll back, no replays, but we did get Tekken Skins:ninja:

I'm a VF fanboy for sure., but Seji Aoki squandered a golden opportunity:oops: and the Hit Sparks were just salt in the wound:meh:

VirtualAndy likes this.
  7. Solomon Rayland

That, my friend, is an amazing point there. VF5US was a bit of a disappointment. The only reason I liked the game was the fact that VF5FS was not very accessible, and VF5US was a good enough taste of the game for me.

8. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

this is my feeling, but I think there are bigger fish to fry to be honest

beanboy and masterpo like this.
  9. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Agreed, but in this case I don't think the stove is even on, and there is nobody in the kitchen:(

beanboy and GustavoHeisenberg like this.
  10. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I agree.

GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  11. Solomon Rayland

Hit sparks might not have been the best decision for VF5US, but was it really the worst decision either? Although the hit sparks hinder the realism and impact ever so slightly, they don't do so by much. Even if Aoki put hit sparks in VF, you can't deny that he still loves the franchise and wishes to see it come back again. Although on a budget, he still pushed VF's revival to happen. And we would probably all rather see VF thriving with hit sparks in it rather than the franchise becoming a thing of the past without it.

12. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

I can understand why some don't want them, VF was always known to be the super realistic fg with no effects or anything on screen, it's kinda part of VF adn tbh.

Personally i don't care much, don't hate and don't love either. But if i can choose i think VF would be better without those and more true to its identity. If it's there I won't bother me much either

beanboy and Shinobi like this.
  13. Solomon Rayland

Personally I would prefer if hit sparks aren't in the game because it obscures the realistic impact of moves ever so slightly. It's fine that they're in the game though, and if they are neccessary to keep VF alive because Aoki was the one who wanted to revive the franchise, so be it.

masterpo and SSfox like this.
  14. VirtualAndy

VirtualAndy Member

[​IMG]
    They look like holi powder you see in festivals in India.

beanboy and masterpo like this.
  15. Solomon Rayland

That's not too far off the mark. :LOL:

16. Solomon Rayland

Great news! I finally added the "Should be optional" answer everyone was asking for. I didn't quite understand what you all meant initially, but I do now, and I accept!

masterpo likes this.
  17. shad

shad Well-Known Member

PSN:
    agent__cube
    XBL:
    doct0r cube
    Since vf5us, the sidestep game is much easier to read and learn for viewers and players thanks to the blue and purple particles (which is why I'm totally against offering an option to remove an equivalent markers in VF6 if the core gameplay is similar). However, the visual aspect could be a bit more elegant for VF6 and should maintain the discrete special effects/almost pure martial art philosophy of the franchise (instead of particles, perhaps introducing stylished environmental lightings or even better (and maybe both) special posture animations, as long as it doesn't overload the game's animation transitions.

18. Solomon Rayland

That's a really good point! Special posture animations have actually had limited use in VF already due to the side crumple. Expanding upon that would be a really cool idea to make the game more clear for new players.

19. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of the hit sparks. But since it is in VF5 US, it should be optional, to turn it on or off. Instead of working on hitsparks, I think Sega should have spent that time, putting in all of the moves, and stances and mechanics, that they took out.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  20. Solomon Rayland

Seiji Aoki didn't have much to work with. He absolutely wanted to bring back VF, but Sega also wanted it to be a return on investment, so they had to play it safe with a remaster of VF5FS. VF6 will almost certainly be a whole different situation entirely.

Shinobi likes this.