1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Limbs getting caught

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Shadowdean, Oct 3, 2001.

1. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Unsure... but I'd hazard the answer is no. Depends on how many frames the throw escape window lasts. If the throw escape window lasts for enough frames such that, visually, you see the hand-extension animation, it might *seem* that you can escape a throw on sight.

I'm quite certain that you can't interrupt a regular throw with an attack.

P.S. Akira's PIT (f,b+P+G) is now a catch throw and cannot be escaped like in VF3.

[​IMG]

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Er, I read Chanchai's post wrong. Duh.

But still, I can't think of any regular throw that can interrupt an attack (minus the Akira bodycheck throw bug back in the old days, hehe). If you have an example of that happening, I'd be very interested to try it out! =)

[​IMG]

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Actually I'm with Madin on this one...VF4 throws seem to have execution time (i.e. no longer instantaneous as in VF1/2/3), but I could be wrong.

4. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

This has been experience as well with the test version. Being fairly reliant on throws in VF3, I haven't been able to connect in similar situations in 4, sometimes just end up whiffing or getting smacked.

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Okay, the question I have is... could it be that blockstun frames remained the same from VF3 to VF4, but attack recovery times have gone down, so it seems like throws are whiffing? That in and of itself doesn't mean that all regular throws are now catch throws.

Because if I play Akira, I can do a d+P, then go for the df+P+G and if the opponent is just standing there, the throw seems instantaneous, whereas if I do d+P, then f,b+P+G, you see a slight delay before the PIT goes into effect, and that seems like a catch throw to me...

In any case, we'll probably know the full story only once frame stats are published...

[​IMG]

6. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Interesting theory...I suck with Akira so I don't know the answer to your question but maybe that his d/f+PG has a faster execution than PIT, so it seems instantaneous? I have noticed that the difference in throw execution time from right next to the opponent and a few inches away (just within arm's reach) seems fairly minute, if any. I don't believe recovery times have lessened all that much, just that it may be harder to throw/mC due to the absence of blocking animations.

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I have speculated before that maybe some throws are virtually instantaneous (i.e. like past VFs, 1 frame, or maybe even 2 or 3 frames) and some throws' execution are longer (say 8 frames, even if that still seems pretty fast in a real game). Pure speculation.

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

The next time someone with access to a machine is in the mood, could someone test this? I'd think it'd be easy.
    Player one starts a charge attack and holds down the buttons.
    Player two reflexively tries a throw.
    If the throw whiffs and the attack comes out, they don't really override attacks.
    As for catch vs. instant, that's hard to say. We don't have frame stats to see which moves technically recover at a two frame disadvantage. Maybe try getting MCed with pai's low kick and then try throwing her (in VF3 she was at a slight disadvantage and could be thrown) ... if pai can PPP out of the throw, maybe it does have execution time.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>