1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lion Confirmed Combos

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by SG-Lion, Dec 30, 2001.

1. SG-Lion

SG-Lion Well-Known Member

I have tried all these moves, seems like a confirmed combos. May be it is listed somewhere, but just want to share the info.

1. P+K,b,f+P+K,P,P
    2. b,b+K,P+K,b+f+P+K,P,P
    3. u+K,G (MC,light-character), K,K.
    4. d/f+P+G,d/f+P,P,pounce. (so far, nobody seems able to tech roll to avoid the pounce)

SG-Lion
    Singapore

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

We were just talking about how (in another thread) the opponent can sometimes block the second P in
    d/f+P+G, d/f+P, P (pounce).
    Take a look...

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

The combos were already in the Lion Dojo, I think. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/wink.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

4. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Thx. They all work fine for me except 2.) I need a FC_f+P to start the float for my banana fingers. Whenever I try to start a combo with b,b+K I get nailed. ;( ... Here in NYC Lion does often find reversal smacks into second shot after L/X ( Lion Exchange)
    {d/f+P+G}-> d/f+P ___ so I tend to mix it up with other follow-ups. Over 20 confirmed flowchart/combos so far for Lion VF4. <font color=orange>BigCat</font color=orange> has shared a <font color=blue>blueprint</font color=blue> for building Lion Battle after his Toronto VF4 in November with Johnson, Rob and <font color=red>kbcat</font color=red>. kbcat has been called a Borg Lion. He assimulates and makes all combos his in quick order. Tetsujin is the Japanese expression for this level of play. Check out the Lion Dojo here at this site and http://www.geocities.com/nycat/Lion You will find a link at bottom of Throw (777) page to combo engine develeped by Kenji-san. Check out [whiteSearch</font color=white> feature here.
    Have you incororated any of the VF4 dodge movements into flowchart in your Lion battles?
    f+P -_ u/f+P+G+K -> u+K -> f+P -> u/f+K is a PeterUMass variation that can be escaped but seldom is in actual battle. Today after 11:30 AM I will concentrate on variations of Catch Throw and report findings.

5. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

If I am not wrong, the second p is not blockable if the first p mC/MCs.

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Well, the first punch isn't going to minor counter if the opponent just got done with suffering from d/f+P+G.
    But yes, if the first punch MC's I'm sure the second will always hit.

7. Sausage Man

Sausage Man Active Member

Well, if the opponent attempts to turn around, that is where the mC comes into play (at least that is how it was in VF3, and I don't think it has changed)

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

It minor countered your turning around? What are you talking about? Bike riled settlement, manganese prostate event?

9. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

In VF3 you take extra damage if you are hit while turning toward opponent (without an attack)?
    News to me...
    Any comments Mr B?

I've always thought that dodging was treated the same as normal dashing, and turning towards your opponent by tapping the joystick toward them or by tapping the E button was just another form of movement. You're just a standing non-defender AFAIK.

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Sure as hell is news to me as well
    There is no way a standing non-defender will take extra damage...

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Well, actually I think he's right, sorta. One of the major misconceptions about "minor" and "major" counter is that there are two types...but there are actually many levels of counter and corresponding damage point modifiers.

If you get hit in the head or the back, I believe it's considered "more" of a counter than if you get hit in the feet or arms, for example. Or something like that.

12. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Check out the alliner link for "No Mercy"<font color=red>*</font color=red> url in Media here at VFDC.

One that you will see starts with d/f+K which hits and stuns, this is linked to : HCB+P+G throw.
    d/f+K-> HCB+P+G = 80+points see: ( xaxak vs. parapa_DX)
    d/f+K-> FC_f+P+G= 59 points
    Another option after side kick hits and stuns is CD-> FC_+f+P+G and it's follow-ups.
    Lx variations abound in round four of this fight.
    <font color=red>*</font color=red> BTW- This is also the name of Kage theme music in VF3 music CD.

13. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> One of the major misconceptions about "minor" and "major"

Oh for fuck's sake. There are no misconceptions. Minor counter means hitting someone in recovery. Major counter means hitting someone in execution. It's about as clear as day, unless you're someone who needs to get on the podium and babble and confuse people. There are a bunch of other, separate modifiers for damage. If you hit someone while they're dodging, it's not a counter. You're just hitting them while dodging. If you hit someone's head, it's not a counter. You're hitting them in the head. These separate modifiers may or may not be added to the mC and MC for total damage, but mC and MC are still separate.

This is VF3's system...translated from an AM2 programmers site. VF2 was very similar, just had fewer modifiers.

<pre>
    I. DAMAGE SYSTEM

Final_Damage = (Counter * Opp_Dam) + (Mov_Dam * State * Air_Combo * Air_Rep)

Upper Bound: Final_Damage <= 1.5 * Mov_Dam

Counter: Your move hits when your opponent is doing a move.

= 1/2 If your move hits during the opponent's execution
    or detection time
    = 1/4 If your move hits during the opponent's rigour time
    = 1 A normal hit

Opp_Dam: The damage of your opponent's move
    Mov_Dam: The damage of your move
    State: The circumstance of the hit

= 1/2 Your move hits the opponent's fingers or toes
    while the opponent's move is in execution or
    detection time.

= 3/4 a) Air combo with a canned combo, ie. PPP, d+K
    b) The opponent is falling to the ground and your
    attack is not a ground attack.
    c) A pounce which does not hit the thighs, torso,
    shoulder, or head.

= 9/8 Your opponent is crouching and not guarding or doing
    an attack. Your attack is a mid level or air attack
    and is not part of a canned combo.

= 5/4 a) Your opponent is not guarding and your attack is
    not part of a canned combo and does not hit the
    legs, arms, or shoulders.
    b) Your opponent is in the middle of dodging. Excludes
    canned combos.

= 1 A normal hit.
    </pre>

The MC and mC stand alone, the others are just added to it if necessary.

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

OK, thanks for clearing up the semantics.

15. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Jeff, like Rich said, where someone gets hit ( in the back | in the head | on the hand or foot ) has nothing to do with whether its a minor or major counter. There's definitely a modifier involved in terms of the damage taken, but it's not a "counter" as we use the term. With regards to the question in this thread, as far as the game engine is concerned, you either get hit in the back, on the side, or in the front. It's discrete. There's no gray area. AFAIK, you don't take extra damage if you're in the process of turning around other than the normal bonus for hitting someone on the side, if there is such a bonus.

In VF3 system:
    state = 5/4 when dodging

OK, so you do take extra damage if hit while dodging (at least in VF3)

Rich, you've commented on this before, but I just want to get it straight... I haven't watched enough VF4 movies or played VF3 anytime recently to make worthwhile observations on my own. Do you think that VF4 has gone back to the VF2 way of calculating damage with regards to major/minor counters? i.e. the modifier is based on the attacker's move, not the move that is being countered

i.e. final damage = (counter * attacker's move damage) + (other modifiers etc.)

16. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

**Do you think that VF4 has gone back to the VF2 way of calculating damage with regards to major/minor counters?**

Really seems that way to me. Can't be certain, but...sure looks like it. +50 % of base damage of interrupting move.

Hope someone takes to time to translate this stuff, when it comes out. Assuming it ever does.

17. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Bike riled settlement, manganese prostate event? I couldn't agree more.
    The first punch in LX ( d/f+P+G) can now be blocked in VF4 follow-up: <font color=white> d/f+P,P</font color=white>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/nycat.geo/Meteor.html>http://www.geocities.com/nycat.geo/Meteor.html</a> not yet published Meteor Punch stuff, some of which is confirmed combos.