1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lion Rafale

Discussion in 'Lion' started by JDubb55, Apr 1, 2008.

1. JDubb55

JDubb55 New Member

I feel like becuz he's french his name pronunciaton is different. so i want to know how to pronounce his name. dumb question i know but im just curious

2. Cadger

Cadger Member

Its pronounced as if his name was Leon. I have no clue why they spell it that way.

3. Jaytech

Jaytech Well-Known Member

it's pronounced french.

4. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    Pronounce it Lion Rafal. French never say 'e' or 's' if it's at the end of a word.

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Pronounced as Leon Rah-fahl

It's spelt as Li and not Le because in Japanese "Le" makes it sound like "layon". "Li" in Japanese sounds like "lee".

It's not meant to be pronounced as Lion as in the animal, but if you do people will still know who you're talking about.

6. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Actually I think it is meant to be pronounced like the animal, just not in english /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

7. DaBadSeed

DaBadSeed Well-Known Member

i say it like the animal

8. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

That shit say Lion and thats that. I tell you half of you dudes swear you fucking Japanese or something now that ya'll played VF lol!

Lion = Lion
    Leon = Leon

Just to get on somebody's nerves
    Jean Reno + Professional = Leon (Lee-On)

9. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    haha i actually say both it depends where the sun is

10. Truesonic2k

Truesonic2k Well-Known Member

Until I heard the announcers on the game say "Leon" I had always called him "Lion"

11. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Luckily, the finnish way to pronounce 'Lion' is the same way as french pronounce 'Leon' ;). And thats the way I have pronunced it, although we finns would pronounce Leon also differently..

12. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

To cut it short:

In French
    Lion = Lee-on
    Leon = Lay-on

Everybody got that? Okay then.

13. Auvii

Auvii Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Auvii
    This topic is so annoying. Its the same as the damn Kage pronunciation topic. I cant count how many times I have ran into people from other countries who screw up my name or other words. I speak English, thusly I am going to pronounce it the way its spelled, if they can do it, I can do it!

14. Vortigar

Auvii:
    I prefer to pronounce stuff the proper way, exactly because of that sentiment you just described. It's annoying when people mess up your name, so I make it a point to try and not to do it to others.

I do notice that some people don't care about it too much, or don't want to bother other by bringing it up. We've had some people from India over at work, and when I asked if I was pronouncing their name correctly they just mumbled over to another topic.

Maybe its because a lot of people mess up my name no matter where I go. I've got a Dutch first name and a French last name. Its a great recipe for hilarity though. Whenever I meet someone that's reading names up from cards its always a surprise what they're going to make of it.

aside:
    And I'm a bit of a language freak. Not the best learner but word deriving, old language, poetry and such is something I find strangely interesting.

15. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be Lee-on but that's no fun... I say it like Leon, the french city because it sounds so cultured /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

16. Vortigar

Not to be a kill-joy but, erm, the city is called Lyon or Lyons, and its pronounced exactly like Lion in Fench. So it should still be Lee-on phoenetically...

17. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I've always called him Bill...

18. kevinrafale

kevinrafale Well-Known Member

Lol, I when I was much younger, I called him Lion, and I'd pit him up against Wolf, just so I'd have some weird animal-named battle lol

But yeah, now I know it's pronounced Leon =)

19. raspyrateur

raspyrateur Member

I think Lion it's a mistake, for many raisons :

The "correct french way" to write "rafale" (with the e or ending the word)
    The commentator says clearly Leon
    etc etc

But Leon is so old dated name for french people, that I understand Leon change his name into Lion lol.