1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lion strategies

Discussion in 'Lion' started by nnabuenyi, Dec 13, 2002.

1. nnabuenyi

nnabuenyi Well-Known Member

I was never really good at thinking on my feet, and I want to know some strategies during mid battle like good moves to use, what staggers, No combos though. And this is for the EVO version

2. nnabuenyi

also if you have any chibita observations, post them here as well.

3. nnabuenyi

BUMP Come on I need help!!!

4. nnabuenyi

you people are sick........ /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

The reason you aren't seeing replies might be because there is already information on the site for lion which can help you, if you look around a little.

From the front page click on Lion's name, and you'll be at this page. You'll see ice-9's lion dojos, which can get you started.
    I don't play lion but I can tell you some of what I have seen from millions of chibita movies:

-Lion's big gun is FC (from crouch), f+P+G. The only problem with it is you need to be crouched for it to work. You should learn to be able to put lion in a crouch instantly at any time by entering a [3][3] motion, then press f+P+G to throw. Practice this technique on the PS2 by recording jeffry doing f+K, f+K (one right after the next) and then play that back. When you play it back, block the first knee, enter [3][3] -> [6][P][G] .. you should end up using the throw on jeffry without any obvious crouch dash, and without giving jeffry time to recover and smack you with another knee.

After the FC, f+P+G throw... always do an immediate [4][6][K][G]. This brings damage up to 70 points. Immediately after this you have set up a rough guessing game. If your opponent tech rolls, they must now guess whether you will do another throw, or an attack. Tap guard after b,f+K+G, then [3][3] towards the enemy's rolling body. You can then enter f+P+G almost immediately, and if they stood and guarded, it will grab them. If they chose to guard low or attack, you can do something else next time - crouch dash backwards and d+K, or turn around and sidekick, or turn around and b,df+P.

-If the opponent fears this guessing game (they should) and they stay down on the ground, you can do [2_][6][P][G] -> [4][6][K][G] -> [2][K] -> [8][P].
    Sometimes the d+K part will hit even if they did tech roll (it's blockable though)

-A similar guessing game involves b,df+P -> f,f+K,K. Afterwards they are face down and if they tech roll, you might be able to time a sidekick to get a back stagger (very hard) or just make them guess between -> dash in and throw or f+K+G. It may also be a good idea to try another b,df+P. I've seen chibita land three in a row on opponents.
    b,df+P is your best tool to deal with people who predictably back dash. It has extra long range and catches them before they finish the dash, or before they can react and crouch guard.

df+P is a pretty good poke. It's pretty quick, safe, and if it interrupts their attack, lion can try a throw or a modified (instant) uppercut. It's a simple guessing game but if they guess wrong, they're sure to take 70 points damage.

Some chibita tricks I see:
    -sidekick stagger, crouch dash forward a bit and follow with either throw or sidekick. Sidekick is a nice tool because if they struggled and low punched, it gives you a moderate chunk of damage and another stagger, and if they dodged it still hits if they dodged the wrong way (to lion's front). Finally if they guarded it, it's fairly safe.

-b,f+P+K (whiff) -> [3][3]-[6]+[P] ... sort of like a whiffed jab which baits people into attacking, then immediately go into an uppercut. If they tried a jab or some other attacks, it interrupts them and floats for an easy combo.

-bf+P+K,P -> P or throw guessing game. The third punch will stagger crouchers, and will cause them to crumple if they try to attack, so they'll fear it and guard or dodge. That's when a throw should work. Chibita uses this as a round opener.

-d+P (MC) -> f+P ... if the opponent tries any attack at all after the d+P, the f+P interrupts and floats them. This only applies if the d+P interrupts. If it is blocked, your f+P can be easily stuffed by an elbow or some other move.

-if you sense the opponent will get up with a sweep, use the spinning swipe (forgot the command, it looks like the third hit of PPb+P). It's a special hit attack, and it will stuff their sweep for a knockdown + easy combo or u+P.

-If you sense they will get up with a high rising attack, QCB+P will stuff it every time and you can then follow with f,f+K,K or some other combo.

-d+P (blocked) -> b,b+K,P+K. The trick here is that the opponent knows he has an advantage if your low punch is blocked. They may automatically try an attack such as an elbow. If you tap b,b you will back dash. Then you can tap kick and go into a b,b+K,P+K combo. The idea is their attack missed because you back dashed, and then your kick hits before they could recover. This can also work if your low punch whiffs and they react somewhat slowly.

-wake up d+K (hits) -> f+P. The opponent is hit by the rising sweep and tries an attack, and the uppercut stuffs the attack. Chibita likes to hit with the sweep, wait a second for the opponent to dodge, then cut loose with the uppercut.

-wake up and do nothing, then use D,f+P. Just hold down on the stick as you get up, then use the uppercut as soon as you're able to move. Sometimes it catches them trying to poke you with a high punch or something else.

-b,df+P (blocked) -> bb+K,P+K. The b,df+P is safe if blocked, and lion is far away from them. If they try to counterattack, you often will be successful if you try bb+K (remember to let lion back dash a bit to make their attack whiff, then unleash the kick).

-b,f+K+G guessing games.
    If you do b,f+K+G and they block it, you are reasonably safe. Most opponents won't counterattack right away. If they do, you can use the b,f+K+G, d+K combo and they will eat the sweep for a guaranteed knockdown. Follow with u+P to make it hurt.
    --If they're slow reacting, or scared of one of the b,f+K+G combo followups (like d+K), you can tap guard to turn around and immediately throw.
    ---If they're used to dealing with the throw or d+K guessing game, and try to avoid both by crouching, you can tap guard to turn around and then do f+P,P. The first f+P will stagger them and the second hit is automatic.
    ----If they find a way to deal with all these guessing games, you can start
    using b,f+K+G -> u+P+K for fun. u+P+K will make you do the spinning uppercut away from the opponent, it gets you out of the way before any attack they try can hit.
    -----[4][6][K][G][1][P] ... if they try to react with an elbow, and you tap [K] will beat it and hit them for a float combo. If they react with a low attack because they expect the high kick, tap up to dodge it.

-As a round opener, b+P+K. If it hits, f,f+K,K afterwards. It avoids a lot of attacks the opponent might start the round with.

-d+P,d+K+G - a simple and sort of dumb pattern, but it almost never is blocked. It will hit if they attack, guard high, or dodge. Chibita does this to start his comeback if he starts taking a beating. It's not much damage but it's a knockdown and forces them to deal with a TR guessing game (if they don't TR, use df+P for a free hit)
    The sweep is also good after a stagger if you absolutely must get a little damage from the stagger.

-sometimes if there's an opponent who tech rolls a lot, you'll see chibita do a series of f+K+G's and df+K+G's or db+K+G's to keep catching them at the end of the tech roll. He'll keep mixing up mid or low knockdown attacks until they stop TRing or guess right.

-----
    Some combo tips -
    1. Read my combo guide at the top of junky's jungle, the SECOND post I made has the best combos. In general you can end a combo with DF+P,P -> df+P (ground attack) and you'll do pretty decent damage. You can also safely do b,f+P+K,P,P to end most combos.
    2. After an attack that crumples the opponent or makes them flop onto their back, use b,f+P+K,P,P. They will take a decent amount of damage and will stay facedown setting up that nasty facedown tech roll guessing game.

Throwing smart:
    Your high damage throws are broken with back and forward. You should abuse FC, f+P+G until the opponent proves they can break throws. Then you can switch it up with HCB+P+G (half circle back + throw). If they prove they can use double throw escapes or they outguess your throws very well, df+P+G is a very strong throw. The usual followup is df+P,P (knockdown slam) -> u+P. The only way they can possibly avoid this is to let the first df+P hit them, then tap guard and block the second one. Once you catch your opponent doing this, try b,b+K, P+K instead of df+P,P. By mixing up these three throws you can do great damage in every throw situation.
    --if the opponent is almost dead, uf+P+G will almost never ever be escaped. If you NEED to have throw damage in a guaranteed-throw situation, try uf+P+G.
    --If you have your back to the ring and are lucky enough to have a chance for a throw, try b,f+P+G. You'll hop over them to safety and also kick them quite far, maybe out of the ring.
    --If you need a simple fast throw that does good damage, and don't have time to do the slow HCB+P+G motion, you can do b+P+G -> df+P for 62 points, which is pretty good for an easy throw.
    --if the opponent's back is to the ring and you want to send them all the way out, ff+P+G is pretty simple and effective. It throws them a little to the side though, not straight forward.

...damn I wrote a lot more than I needed to. If you have questions, feel free to reply.

6. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

Damn, these are some excellent strategies creed, you are the man /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Proof

Proof Well-Known Member

second that, u should write more stuff creed =]

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

thanks y'all. Every so often the spirit of chanchai possesses me.

As for write more stuff .... I dunno, they'll have to make something beyond carpal tunnel. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

Damn my game has totally improved with Lion, and here I was going to give up, Thanks creed. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Buahah...free handouts now???? Friendlyness? What is this world comming to? :p

11. Deadpixel

Deadpixel Member

CreeD,
    Those are excellent pieces of info; I'll definitely try some of those strategies......

*I personally think guessing games are more prominent in battles where Lion is involved...... Lion can follow up with a combo-starter or a mid-air combo with a hit that compensates for pretty much every defensive measure the opponent may take...... At least from my personal experience, I did find this to be true......

*Also an important factor in using Lion, more so than other characters, is his footing, because he hugs the ground so much with both of his feet being so far away from each other...... With a closed stance, you can close in on your opponent pretty close, making sure your combo starter connects (many of his moves are very short range; this isn't to say there are moves that are fairly long range as well, such as [6][K]+[G])......

*When using [4][6][P]+[K][P][P] for a mid-air combo, Make sure to take notice of your opponent's weight and time the punches correctly...... You can delay the punches by a fair amount of frames, if need be, for lighter characters.......

*I trully think the real secret weapon to Lion is [4_][P]+[K], the "wind-up" poke move...... You can easily follow up with a variety of moves with it, and I found that it does the most damage if you can combo from it...... You can float your opponent afterwards for a one or two extra mid-air or bounce hits....... I'd use [2_][6][P], if you can input that quickly...... Otherwise, use [4][4][K], buffer [P]+[K]...... The only problem with [4_][P]+[K] is that it comes out really slow, especially if you charge it up, and can be really predictable...... But if it hits, it opens up a lot of possibilities for dishing out more pain......

*CreeD mentions a good point about the usefulness of [4][6][P]+[K] which chibita is seen using...... Although a first hit of a three-punch series, I found myself using this alone a lot...... It's quick, and you can follow up with a variety of moves before the opponent can react to it...... You can do the [2_][6][P]([3][3][6][P]) like CreeD mentioned, or you can even try an easy throw...... I personally use [4][6][P]+[G] often, just because the movement is identical to [4][6][P]+[K]...... May be a psychological thing, but I found it easy to pull off...... [4][P]+[G], or even the regular [P]+[G] might work well......

*A chibita move I often see happening, which CreeD didn't mention is pretty interesting...... It is the ever-elusive Lion's combo throw...... Most of the time, I see the [6][1][P]+[G] happening when the opponent rollout-recovers from an attack that forces a float...... Before the opponent can get up, dash forward quick and input the [6][1][P]+[G]...... If your opponent doesn't do a rising attack (not expecting you to dash in closer) and the timing is just right, he/she will fall into the trap of the initial move, and if so, you can immediately follow up with the rest of the throw ([8] or [2], [P]+[G])...... I've actually tried this and it works really well....... I found myself using this throw more often now......

Laters......

12. Anton

Anton Well-Known Member

Yo, deadpixel, you know a lot about lion, why dont you make your own FAQ or something? /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

B/c he's had 5 posts total and this one was made 5 months ago... IE - he ain't here no more.