1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lion VS. Wolf

Discussion in 'Lion' started by NCEnder, Nov 9, 2002.

1. NCEnder

NCEnder New Member

Hey everybody. I'm a pretty regular Lion player, but I'm getting whupped on constantly by the Japanese over here (I'm in Osaka for the next month or so.) I can hold my own a lot of times, but the character I have the absolute most trouble with is Wolf.

Do any more experienced Lion players have any anti-Wolf advice they'd be willing to share?

2. NCEnder

NCEnder New Member

Heh. Uh...anybody?

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

hey, I'm not much of a lion players but I've seen some pretty strong wolf play. What do you say you lose a lot of damage from?

1. Throws
    2. knee/shoulder ram float combos
    3. Low throws
    4. Pokes/random attacks
    ?
    Hard to say what you should be doing if we don't know what you already know.

4. NCEnder

NCEnder New Member

Mostly from throws and low throws when I try to poke low.

I try to keep away from him, go in, and fall back again. But usually when I get back, he just rushes in and bulldogs me. He has this clothesline that eats my distance game for breakfast.

Above all though, the throws are a pain in the ass. And back, and face, and legs, and....

5. Two_Bit_Mage

Two_Bit_Mage Well-Known Member

Ohh I am a fellow lion player who hates wolf /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

Well what I usually do is try to attack like mad and not give him a chance to throw. And when I chose to block I am VERY closely watching for any type of throw animation,,,at which time I throw some sort of striking move (depending on if its a low, standing or catch throw). This isnt always effective due to all that technical frame stuff (I think) but it may be a better solution then your machi strategy. Give it a try and if you still lose then come back and yell at me =/

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

If the opponent is human, and good enough to low throw your low attacks, I recommend lots of safe high and mid pokes. Standing punch into a crouch dash throw or crouch dash uppercut is a strong guessing game, be prepared to throw escape is the uppercut is blocked.

b,f+P+K is almost indentical to a jab, do one punch and then a second one (b,f+P+K,P,P) and you can scare wolf into blocking. If he fails to block the third punch makes him crumple for a f,f+K,K combo.

Also, lion's f,f+P and b,df+P pokes are somewhat safe if your opponent doesn't know how to deal with them. when blocked lion recovers pretty quickly and is far away.

If you plan on doing low attacks, d+P is your safest one.

Hell, that's not much advice. The thing about wolf is there are specific setups to watch out for. I'll leave offense to others, so here are some defensive ideas:

Try to avoid using attacks that are throw counterable. If an attack is throw counterable, and is blocked - enter f+P+G and b+P+G as your escape commands.

If you do a low attack other than a low punch, and it's blocked, it might be low throw counterable. Wolf's best low throw ends in df+P+K+G but db+P+K+G also is damaging, so thsoe are the two escapes to keep in mind if you sense a low throw.

Wolf's FC upper produces a butt stagger. A f+P (body blow) is guaranteed here and crumples you, enter low throw escapes in that situation - wolf has a free low throw unless you escape it. If wolf chooses to hit you with an attack (like a knee) instead, be careful... if you tech roll he can hit you for a backstagger with perfect timing. It might be best to just sit still or hit the ground and tap guard rapidly.

If wolf does a FC uppercut then b+P, he can then throw you. I recommend forward or back throw escapes.

If wolf catches you with his f+P+G lunging catch, you have a tough guessing game. Every wolf player likes something different. f+P+G makes wolf get behind you, which can lead to humiliating and stylish stuff. If your opponent likes this option, escape with f+P+G.
    If your opponent is careful and likes guaranteed damage, you must worry about P+G (60 pts) and df+P+G (55 pts) and b+P+G (60 pts) and db+P+G (60 pts). You should just watch the opponent carefully to figure out what he likes. I am fond of plain old P+G.

After wolf's b,b+P+G, or after wolf does catch and then change to get behind you, you must worry about P+G, b+P+G, and df+P+G. I like b+P+G but everyone is different.

If wolf uses his uf+P (hopping two handed chop) he has a hit-throw followup, but I think you can escape it by attacking. If wolf hits you with his b+K+G sidekick hit throw ... that's guaranteed and cannot be escaped if the wolf did it with the correct range and timing.

The trick then is to avoid eating the slow attacks like b+K+G that lead to big damage. Wolf's knee and shoulder ram are especially strong and should be considered every time you have a move blocked with a little bit of recovery. A good wolf throw will do 60 points usually, 80 points at best. A good wolf knee combo is 97 points without any possible way to escape and avoid it after the first hit. So I'd say worry more about wolf's knees and such than throws, but use little tricks to avoid the throws. For example do a dodge to avoid a knee/shoulder ram, and at the same time enter two throw escapes as you dodge.
    Or if you are in a position where you are only at a small disadvantage, a punch or low punch may beat both throws or knee (but lose to attacks quicker than a knee).

That's about it, hope some of it was useful.

7. Optimus

Optimus New Member

The only low attack you should do againt Wolf is the [2][P][K] move because you always recover high. Wolf is also a lot slower that Lion, us his dodge ([4][P][K][G]) is evade and then attack. Use his quick punches and kicks (standing) often.

8. Pizhew

Pizhew Member

My uncle and I have quite a few combos that can juggle ANYBODY (except Dural of course)
    No one, not even Jeffry is safe from the combos we have for Lion. contact me for these awesome combos that make Jacky look like a big sissy.

9. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Why don't you just post them?

GE

10. Anton

Anton Well-Known Member

FIGHTING AGAINST WOLF HAWKFIELD

1 If wolf pulls off a giant-swing,techroll at the exactly at the right moment of hitting the ground to lessen the damage.

2 Since Wolf is not the fastest character barrage him with quick flurries.

3 You know that he wants to throw you, so keep a lot of distance beetween you and him.

4Never show him the same move twice.Then he cannot counter you.