1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Little help please ...

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by Sun, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Sun

Sun Member

I am new to these things called sticks .I've never used them before , but I am convinced that they will make the game better than the D-PAD .

Anyway , I have checked these forums and I am ready to say that I know nothing and I am really confused with kinds of sticks ....

I have some Qs to be answered please :

1)Is there an official VF stick for the PS3 ?

2)What is the name of the sticks used for the game on the arcade ?

3)If you experienced playing with a stick , which one serve the cause of VF best ?

Thanx and sorry for being so noob

2. InstantOverhead

InstantOverhead Well-Known Member

1.) No, Sega made something called the Virtua Stick High Grade but any arcade stick with similar parts (aka parts made by SANWA) will suffice. The VSHG has problems with its PCB and it's also sold out and fetches some major dollars on the used market so avoid.

2.) SANWA-JLF for the stick with a square gate, and SANWA 30MM buttons.

3.) SANWA-JFL with a square gate and three SANWA 30MM buttons. I mostly use a Madcatz TE stick with all but three of the buttons removed.

I would recommend just getting a Madcatz TE stick, it's the only readily available retail stick with all SANWA parts built right into it.

3. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Problems with it's PCB?! Care to elaborate on that or is this just you doing your usual Capcom >>>>> SEGA routine?

4. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

It has problems when it comes to simultaneous button presses.

MarkMan covered this too, a long time ago.

5. InstantOverhead

InstantOverhead Well-Known Member

The VSHG is perfect for VF5 on the PS3 but that's about it. Why? It's because buttons outside of the PKG layout have issues being pressed simultaneously. So for Tekken or Street Fighter the stick (without being modded) is useless. The problem was discovered when T5DR players began complaining about the stick. This was brought to the attention of Sega of Japan and they began redesigning the VSHG. Some of the new VSHGs are marked with different letters on them indicating which PCB they have...of course people on SRK still report that every different PCB that Sega used all had input issues including the newest model that was produced by Sega. So basically no stock VSHG is reliable for anything but VF on the PS3.

My VSHGs have new PCBs that have been swapped out and are dual modded. The VSHG was easily the best stick at the time...all Sanwa, large base, heavy, and it was around $80 retail from what I remember (though importing it was a pain with shipping). If Sega had included a functional PCB it would have been a real contender but as usual it's Sega and the VF franchise.

And surprise! It's another example where Capcom largely outdid Sega for console fighters.

6. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    My VSHG PCB had problems, whereas I couldn't play SF4. I loss a tourney over it awhile back.

7. Feck

Oh yeah I forgot about that, meant to check that out with T5DR but got rid of my old PS3.

On my VSHG I just switched it to PS3 mode and got it running in MAME and i'm not noticing it at all, everything I press comes out and I tried all the buttons.

I don't think 001 changed the PS3 PCB in my stick, so i'm clueless.

Just tested it with control panel in windows too, multiple button presses seriously work fine!

8. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    My VSHG has had problems with other games than VF5 but SF4 is not one of them.

The first 2 letters I think were "R" and "S" which definitely had problems, I have an "M" series.

9. Feck

Mine's an M too, if this only really happens with certain games then I can't help but think it's to do with the games and not the stick.

10. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Take off them Sega glasses.

How silly does this sound? All other sticks don't seem to have this problem, but you blame the games instead of the stick?

11. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    The simultaneous press problem of VSHG is pretty commonly accepted by now. Im propably having this problem when im playing SF4 on ps3, but since im not good enough player yet I blame myself instead of the stick.. Instead I play on box where I can use the stick I have grown accustomed to.

12. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I used both the VSHG and TE stick to play SFIV. I did not noticed a difference between the two sticks with simultaneous button presses.

I tried using the VSHG for PS2 SS Anthology and King of Fighters 98, nothing obviously wrong with the buttons. Cannot compare it to TE stick since it is not compatible with the older games.

13. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Same here.

14. Feck

I didn't have my SEGA glasses on.

... and yeah it does sound silly to me but the stick working fine on everything but a few games and it being down to the stick also sounds silly.

So yeah i'm going to give up on this, i'm not ever going to be able to understand it so it's better to not get involved.