1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for cheap VF4 places in SG

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Pinkgirl, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl Well-Known Member

Ah, but then you had a car! With a car I'd drive all the way to the next *country* even just to play VF!!!! lol!! :-D~~

Right now I wish I lived near AMK Funland - that seems to be the place where all the action happens... and they have the most machines there... my one complain about Funland is that the ventilation is really horrible - real stuffy.

Andrew tells me that you crazy guys used to exchange hundreds of tokens (which weighed a ton) @ Astro then go to other arcades & use them there! ROTFL! :-D Wish I'd been intro-ed to VF3 sooner... sigh...

:)

{{ <A target="_blank" HREF=http://shreddedbits.com>http://shreddedbits.com</A> }}
    Desktop downloads

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Ah, but then you had a car! With a car I'd drive all the way to the next *country* even just to play VF!!!! lol!! :-D~~

Uh. I've been to Malaysia like once in 6 years. Have no desire to visit anytime soon =)

Right now I wish I lived near AMK Funland - that seems to be the place where all the action happens... and they have the most machines there... my one complain about Funland is that the ventilation is really horrible - real stuffy.

We used to have VOOT competitions there. Is that where the VF4 action is? Cool, I'll be there pretty often when I go home in December.

Andrew tells me that you crazy guys used to exchange hundreds of tokens (which weighed a ton) @ Astro then go to other arcades & use them there! ROTFL! :-D Wish I'd been intro-ed to VF3 sooner... sigh...

LOL. The complete story is this. A couple of us pooled our $$$ together and cut a mega-deal with the Astropolis management, something in the region of $300-500. We got a crapload of tokens. But, Astro's tokens were silver; Wywy's were gold. So, I'd go play VF2 at Lido with some gold Wywy tokens in my coin pocket (of my jeans) but a whole bunch of silver tokens in my other pocket. If the arcade attendant made a spot check, I'd whip out the gold tokens. We'd also proudly display some gold tokens on the VF2 machine, but all the while we'd be pumping in silver tokens, worth 1/5th of the cost of the gold tokens. Hahaha.

[​IMG]

3. Karma

Karma Member

*Sigh*

In case you didn't understand what I was saying, it has nothing to do with winning and losing. Do read my post over again. I most certainly did not expect him to let me win. I asked him to slow down and let me figure out the controls only to be ignored like a complete stranger. I'd assumed I was playing a "friendly" against someone I knew. My bad, I guess.

As far as the AAMS is concerned, I know what I saw. You weren't yelled at to get back in line like the other guys because you are a girl. That's all I care to say about this topic.

Also, going back to the bit on TKA Virtualand...with the exception of the cripple (who is no longer working there) who seemed to think that every other guy that goes to the arcade is a troublemaker, I've never had any problems with their service staff. I've had button problems on T4 (twice on the centre cabinet) myself, and I didn't get any attitude problem from their staff. Sounds like you guys rubbed this service staff/technician the wrong way.

Sad to say, I don't know of any arcade service staff today who maintain machines the way Albert and Colin did back in the VF1-2 era. Ah Kun and Alvin from Hougang are probably the best these days, but even they don't go around checking every machine in their spare time. *Sigh*

Jason and Nicole are married? Is that right? If Jason is reading this, here's a belated "Best wishes to the two of you" from me /versus/images/icons/cool.gif You guys have come a long way since '94. Damn...it's been that long already?

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Karma??? Argh! Who are you? What's your real name? I'm sure I know you...

[​IMG]

5. DeLune

DeLune Well-Known Member

The memories... BTW Chris, I can still remember my first VF2 match with you. ;) It was at Parklane. You were using Pai and I was using Akira. I can still remember you doing the f,d[P] throw on everybody on that day.
    At that time, David is the best VF2 player in Singapore until Colin Leong take over the scene with his crazy senbon punch combos and Taiwan Step. I think Colin had retired from the VF scene. He played a bit of VF3 and then never return. I haven't heard much from Colin, his brother and the rest of the RQ group for a long time. BTW David's Country had closed down for a long time.

Alan, is the VF scene really that bad in Singapore? I thought AMK used to be a very good place for challengers. But nevermind, wait for me next June, I will come looking for you. :p

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

ZengZi,

Hmm, we had a match in Park Lane? I can barely remember, that was *such* a long time ago. Wait a minute, isn't Park Lane = "Ah Beng HQ"? That's what Alan and I used to call it.

David and I had a lot of good games at Country Funland. He'd pick Green Lau and do all these MC upknife combos, and I'd pick Kage just to annoy the heck out of him with d+P option select. Well, I had a lot more time to play VF then; a little busier nowadays, unfortunately...

Actually, if you send me a photo of yourself, I think that'll help refresh my memory. I'm sure I know you by face and by name, but I can't connect the two. Hmm.

-- Chris

[​IMG]

7. DeLune

DeLune Well-Known Member

I think that was in 1995. Parklane is near Dhoby Ghaut. I remember my 1st match with quite a number of people. My 1st match with David was a nightmare. I lose $50 in tokens on that day challenging David. David was a very good defensive player. He tend to frustrate opponents with his good 'wait and attack' approach. I must say that David teaches me a lot in VF2. I improve a lot playing with him.

Hmm..., I don't have a photo with me right now. Maybe next time. But I do hope that one day we can have a VF match. :)
    Cheers.

8. Pinkgirl

Karma: The only thing I would like to say to you @ this point is that either you are one helluva big liar, or else you have got the wrong person. Andrew has told me that he has NO RECOLLECTION whatsoever of *ever* having had a meal with Colin & some other guy. In fact, he's never even had a meal with Colin before.

So too bad I guess - there goes your credibility.

{{ <A target="_blank" HREF=http://shreddedbits.com>http://shreddedbits.com</A> }}
    Desktop downloads

9. Pinkgirl

Hmm, Christopher, you used Pai? Then I know who you are. You're pretty good, yes. You used her well; I played against you before @ AMK Funland. I was with another guy back then and we used to go to AMK (back in late 1996 if I'm not wrong, else early 1997; definitely nowhere near my A levels) to play. Not many times; just a few, like maybe 2-3 times (too far - hell, you can figure that out right? lol!). I can't remember who I used against you but I do remember that a good-looking guy there was pretty good with Pai. Must be you then...

Re the Astro tokens, I can never comprehend the kind of madness you guys indulged in then... =P

Desktop downloads

10. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Eh. I used to play Pai? Um... not really, I don't think. Not in VF3 anyway. It's mostly been Akira/Kage/Lau all along, a little bit of Pai/Wolf/Lion, but not a whole lot. Late 1996? I came back in December for holidays and played at AMK Funland for a bit, but I was studying in Philadelphia, PA from Sep 1996 to May 1999.

There's a picture of me at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.clandxm.com/vf4/svgl_100601.html>http://www.clandxm.com/vf4/svgl_100601.html</A>, near the bottom of the page, see if I am who you think I am... /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

[​IMG]

11. Pinkgirl

Oh, if you were away from Sept 96 onwards then it couldn't have been you... actually the guy I played against who was pretty good w/ Pai too looked more like the "Akira" guy in the photos... =)

I don't think I've played against you before then. =P

Maybe next time, after I stop losing @ Lau's stage!!!!! LOL!!!! :-D

================================
    Desktop downloads

12. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

Zengzi,
    ya it seems pretty bad. Wonder if Kiat and company knows about VF4. Nobody really challenges.

Chris,
    I think you wasn't around during that time Zengzi was really good. That was during the international VF3 tournament. you did not take part in the Singapore selection right? No offense but I think Zengzi was not very good during the VF2 days. If I remember correctly.

Pink Girl,
    good-looking guy in AMK??? that must be me :) although I probably used Pai only like once or twice in my life.

going to get my daily VF4 fix after this

13. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

To Karma:
    I don't think I know you and I don't recall having lunch with Colin and you, it was ALWAYS Colin, Ian and me(or with some other friend).
    The part about me ignoring you when you asked me to slow down is just laughable, all I can say is I did no such thing. Period.
    Anyway. its just a game, give yourself a break, will ya?

To Alan:
    Hey man, how are you doing? I might drop by at AMK this Sat, maybe we can have a friendly match then. You will know me when you see me. :)

To Chris:
    I think I've only played with you a couple of times at Astropolis, I stopped playing VF2 halfway cause frankly speaking, I think VF2 sucks. Much of the flawed battle system was refined and improved in VF3 which IMO, is the best installment in the series(although some might beg to differ). I'm really more of a VF3 player than a VF2/VF1 player.
    Hope to see ya soon. :)

14. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Alan,
    Yeah, I remember you mentioning ZengZi in VF3, not so much in VF2. Nope, I wasn't able to take part in the Singapore selection tourney because the first selection date was the day I was scheduled to fly back to the US. I remember that distinctly. Bleh. You, good looking guy in AMK? =P

Andrew,
    Do you know who Karma is? What's his real name? Up till now, I have no idea. Anyway, hope to meet up with you in December or something.

Cheers,
    Chris

[​IMG]

15. alucard

No idea...
    I'd like to know who this "Karma" guy is myself. Heh...heh...

16. Pinkgirl

lol alan...anyway i'll get to see if it _is_ you this saturday, if you accept andrew's friendly match... =)

================================
    Desktop downloads

17. alantan

I think I definately know you by face...

you are not the one for beat me in the VF3 competition hopefully... mmm... you used to hang out with Colin?? I probably know you but I do not know many VFers by name, only by face. never mind, I will probably go down to AMK on Sat afternoon so hopefully can see you there. Then we can have vs matches :)

18. Karma

Karma Member

alucard: I do not have many bad experiences with fellow VFers, and stuff like this tends to stick in a person's mind. In any case, I only brought it up because of the reminiscing going on in this thread. I will agree with you that it's only a game, and none of this actually matters.

Chris: I'd probably meet up with you some time in December when you come back, although with my long-hours shift job I don't think I can go hardcore for VF4 like the old days. If you don't mind, I'd prefer to stay anonymous for now /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

I get the feeling I'll hear a "chey...I thought who" sometime down the road...

19. alucard

To Alan:
    Nah...I lost to ZZ in the semi-final match, my friend(Aoi
    player) then defeated ZZ in the final match.

20. alantan

I think I know who you are now :) You play Jacky mostly right?

In fact, I know that some of regular VFers used to not like you. You probably didn't like them too. :) I do not know why the dislike started though.

Anyway, I think you must agree with me that Zengzi was a better player at that time, dunno why he lost in the final to Aoi.