1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Looks bad

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Genie47, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

Seems like low punches are very strong. That is the opinion of many players I've met at Bugis.

Well, there are ways to get out of a low punch fest but IMHO, it has made gameplay a little boring.

Good news is that there are some players willing to invest in other moves other than low punches as a set up.

Saw this lady play. She was wearing a pink top (pinkgirl?) and was rather aggressive and played a really psycho Pai. Whupped a lot of players asses.

I'm getting a little too old for this. I'm out of competitive play and just like to see matches.

OT: Bro is kinda productive and history may repeat itself. His wife is suspected of having twins! 2 successive generations of twins. Wow! must be the genes in me and him /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Chia Jin Ngee
    ...we live in the Age of Bacteria - Stephen Jay Gould

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the Korean and Japanese clips, and the players don't seem to trade low punches at the end of rounds anywhere near as much as we do at SVGL (and I guess in Singapore). Wonder if that's the result of more experience with dealing with low punches in general, or just a more aggressive gameplay style in general...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.feixaq.com/vf4>[​IMG]</A>

3. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

Hmmm...are you the Aoi/Pai player? I'm pinkgirl's
    boyfriend, the Jacky/Lau/Akira player.

I kind of agree with you, low punches are too strong.

Getting too old? yeah, me too.

4. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

ya chris. My favourite move at the end of round with wolf is d+P,d+P,d+K. or a single low k at mid range.

I think we should compile a move list that beat low+P for all characters.

I think alucard mentioned to me about Lau's d+P+K

For lion, I am sure u+K beat low P but it is rather slow so not very useful in practice unless of course you have perfect yomi. d/b+P+K mentioned by someone may be a good idea. but I haven't used that move ever in VF. very hard to put it in my playing style. My way to dealing with d+P is, d+P :) lion has one of the BEST d+P combos

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

It's a pity you can't meet up with Jason Cha over here in San Francisco. He plays a very good Lion, and playing Kage vs Lion matches against him reminds me of our old VF2 Kage vs Lion matches =P

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.feixaq.com/vf4>[​IMG]</A>

6. Wen

Wen Member

Uh, I might be the Aoi/Pai player. I didn't play VF2 in the arcades, but since you mentioned Aoi I presume you were talking about VF3. I'm not sure but I haven't seen many players using Aoi/Pai, so it might be me.

For the record I'm male, 22, Chinese.

And not that good at VF lol. I think I know who you are since bf/gf couple playing VF isn't exactly common. If I'm not wrong I've played both of you before, my standard is in-between yours and your gf. I can't really beat you, but don't remember losing to her.

Is that the Pai/Aoi player you are thinking of?

Style-wise the only thing I remember is you going for b+K+G, u/b+K with Jacky a lot...

7. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

hmmmm yea you're right i haven't seen that many clips with low punch abusers unlike a couple of people at svgl...maybe it's because they haven't thought of it or just that they rather use different techniques other than low punch (eventhough low punches easily sets up throws or float starters)... the sabaki's or inashi's in the final version should easily stop the low punches... hmmm

"How many people wanna kick some a$$!!?? i Do! i Do!..." Stroke 9

8. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

They're probably just better than us...I mean I'm guilty of whoring low punches too, but only because everyone else does =P. Probably once we figure out consistent ways to get around them they won't be so bothersome.

9. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

If the people at the SVGL are sing a lot of D+P and the Korean and Japanese are not, it could also mean that the low punch was toned down in Version B.

10. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it's just because we don't block low punches out here. I'm still not 100% sure but those few times I actually paid attention to whether or not I blocked my opponent's low p, I felt that I had regained the initiative.

In other words, low punch may be great for interrupting moves, but if it's blocked, then the puncher can't just throw out another low p and always expect it to interrupt the next move.

-Jason

11. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

thats exactly it... hmmmm yea blocking it either high or low does push you back just tiny bit so it's better to act fast or be thrown ahem..*cough, cough* howard* cough*... hehe had too many experiences in not reacting fast enough.. but i am very impressed when i do see people escaping throws, especially in the clips. i came to a conclusion that all in all, low punch is best suited for close range combat and competitive poking or it's really just an annoying set up.

"How many people wanna kick some a$$!!?? i Do! i Do!..." Stroke 9

12. koro128

koro128 Well-Known Member

Cant wait to have a game with a lady Pai. In fact, never had a VF match with a gal before. Should be interesting.

When the chill of winter comes to hell, only the fittest resist the Bell. - Navy SEAL

13. alucard

Err... I was talking about VF4. The Pai/Aoi player I was talking about looked older than 22 years of age, it couldn't have been you. Anyway, were you at Bugis last Saturday? You might want to visit that place sometime, there are lots of challengers on weekends. See ya!

14. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

Alucard. So you are pinkgirl's bf. Indeed she lives up to her name of pinkgirl with a pink top.

No I didn't play against a lot of people that day. Just watching and analysing where the competitive play is heading. I'm the guy wearing shorts, khaki Deuter sling bag and 9110 holstered to my belt /versus/images/icons/smile.gif.

Would most likely by a PS2 by Jan 02 to enjoy VF4 at home /versus/images/icons/smile.gif. Most economical.

Chia Jin Ngee
    ...we live in the Age of Bacteria - Stephen Jay Gould<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Genie47 on 10/28/01 09:56 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

15. alucard

Lau's d+p+k sabaki is quite effective, its fast enough to beat some mid-levels and recovery is decent. Downpoint is it doesn't do much damage.
    Akira's d/f+p+k+g, p sabaki is pretty useful too, but its punishable with throws so its not as safe as Lau's d+p+k.

Btw, Kiat dropped by Virtualand on Sat after you left(~7pm), played a couple of games with him and it was SO DULL. His main strategy is low punch/high punch->mid-level or throw.
    Oh, for the record, I beat him 6-1. =P

16. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

he is not warmed up yet :) I guess he has exams so he cannot practise so much.

A pity we do not have VF.net else we can have a ranking system... sigh... wonder who is the best? :)

17. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

It's not a huge problem...

Never forget, for those characters which can, that you can reverse low punches. Alucard mentioned the sabaki for Akira - that's good, but reversing's better choice, imo. Also, Akira has b+P+K+G inashi for low punches too.

Wolf can also reverse low punches - very powerful and extremely useful.

For the most part, CD back is a great way to diminish the low punching opponent. At least it works here.

cheers,

<font color=white>Llanfair</font color=white>
    [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://virtuaproject.com>virtuaproject</A>

18. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl Well-Known Member

It was actually a *purple* top... /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif w/ black skirt...

I don't really like pink actually; "Pinkgirl" is just a nick I'm carrying over from a local mountain bike forum 'cos everyone called me "pink" there... /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

Btw I don't see the Japs using low p much in their games - d/l one of the movies (it's on the start page of this site I think) with a Jacky vs Akira and the game style of the 2 players featured was highly offensive.

The Akira used counters and SPODs, and the Jacky played lots of crouch-dashing. It reminded me of the kind of gameplay we had in VF3...most enjoyable. Less "cheap" too. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

Don't recall playing against or seeing anyone of your description on Saturday tho'... who were you?

================================
    {{ <A target="_blank" HREF=http://shreddedbits.com>http://shreddedbits.com</A> }}
    Desktop downloads

19. segaduck

segaduck Well-Known Member

No, I don't think low punch is that good. There are many moves can beat low punch when you know someone uses d+p a lot. One thing for sure (in test version) is that elbow can not beat d+p because every time I use Jacky and react my fastest elbow back, I cannot beat the low punch. But other moves like Pai's 9k, Akira's escape attcak (8 p+k+g) can beat low punch very easily.

It's very strange that elbow cannot beat low puch, and I am not sure if it changed in the ver b, because I've never played ver b.

<font color=orange>A VF fan waiting for ver. B in SVGL</font color=orange>

20. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Howard, I would imagine that sidekicks beat the hell out of low punches still, don't they? Let me know if that doesn't work. Hop attacks are always fun too/versus/images/icons/smile.gif And with Jacky... I LOVE SHUFFLE STEP/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Man, I already miss playing the VF4test down in SVGL (back in August). Can't wait for the final version.

Also, I posed this curiousity in another thread, but I am guessing you get a bigger advantage when you low block a low punch instead of high blocking it. Do you know if this is true or if the advantage/disadvantage is about the same?

-Chanchai