1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Looks bad

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Genie47, Oct 27, 2001.

1. segaduck

segaduck Well-Known Member

I believe everyone's side attack can beat low punches. It's worth a try.

<font color=orange>A VF fan waiting for ver. B in SVGL</font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by segaduck on 10/28/01 10:47 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sure side attacks can beat low punches. Hell, that's what I would abuse moves like Shun's aerial kicks (u, P+K+G) for when I played VF4test (and probably why I heard everyone complaining that they were overpowering at SVGL). In addition to dodging and attacking.

But for the sake of straight-forward play which is probably the most common situation I've come across, I think it's good to think of your more linear alternatives. Relying on dodging and dodge-attacks is not too good of a thing, but using them effectively is great. But it shouldn't substitute our play.

In any case, I understand your reputation and I'm sure you're actually a better player than I am, but I'm trying to look at various anti-low punch options. I'm dead sure there are so many and if we get in the habit of simply dodging all the time we think a low punch comes out, that's just likely to get us killed I think (and people complain that I dodge all the time as is :p). Naturally, low block has always been the basic option against low punches, high block is now an option. And as far as I know, playing a mid range game while expecting low punches has always been something to limit the effectiveness of the low punch, despite low punches being great to beat out certain attacks (usually long executing attacks or moves where collision detection somehow allows it).

But I'll admit, I eventually whored a few low punches when I was playing the VF4test at SVGL, my thoughts were that I was just playing opponents that were a bit too aggressive and so it was working too well.

-Chanchai

3. koro128

koro128 Well-Known Member

A side kick may "beat" a low punch but if i'm not wrong, most people only use low punch when very close up.
    In that case, you wont have the time to execute a side attack (Eg side-kick), which should be slower.

Do i make sense? hee...

When the chill of winter comes to hell, only the fittest resist the Bell. - Navy SEAL

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

hehe, I keep forgetting to add in that I primarily play mid-range when I play VF (though that doesn't mean I always play mid range). However, it is my experience that low punches were used very nicely from midrange when the opponent would be too aggressive and started doing attacks that were easy to reflexively low punch MC. Or at least that's how I would use them. But in this situation, I think sidekicks are a lot harder to MC like this, could be just me... Because of fast execution time though, low punches would stuff a lot of elbows if I remember.

Don't know if I'm an exception or anything for playing mid range as much as I do, but it's part of the style (that Spotlite once referenced to) that I have sort of found my way towards... Generally, non-experts tend to comment that it's hard as hell to throw me, and that's part of the mid-range style I have (part of the reason I play that way).

-Chanchai

5. koro128

koro128 Well-Known Member

Interesting style of play, ChanChai.
    Through my experience, perhaps no opponents to my knowledge launches low punch in mid range.
    They would either block on anticipation that i will attack or start combos on my approach.

Perhaps it's because i use Kage, whereby any low punches from mid range i see, i will use a f,f,K+G , running + k
    or even a u,f, K+G .

Interesting stuff.....

When the chill of winter comes to hell, only the fittest resist the Bell. - Navy SEAL

6. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

Didn't play against you. I was watching you play. Watching everyone else play. Maybe you are too absorbed into the play. Who wouldn't?

Well, I did play. Threw away $1 for the fun of it. Can't afford much more. Bought a $50 DVD-ROM, $40 ATA100 controller and $20 2X64MB SDRAM. Kinda broke and skills not up on par yet. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Chia Jin Ngee
    ...we live in the Age of Bacteria - Stephen Jay Gould

7. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I believe everyone's side attack can beat low punches. It's worth a try.

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah but @ close range it's easier said than done. If your opponent is right in front of you low-punching away, as soon as you try to attack you get hit by the irritating fist (and if you're playing against Jeffry it's worse - his arm is longer than the other characters and the hit judgement is superb! *wails*). What then? I think you'll need to back off a little to a safe distance before you can execute any move which'll not cause you to get hit by the low p. /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

================================
    {{ <A target="_blank" HREF=http://shreddedbits.com>http://shreddedbits.com</A> }}
    Desktop downloads