1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Low fighters!!!!

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by ShunAoi, Jun 15, 2002.

1. ShunAoi

ShunAoi Member

I use Aoi and i cant seem to do shit against low stance fighters. Lion at high ranks gives me a lot of trouble judging his attacks and my friends Shun just sweeps the whole time..i'm decent at reversing but i can never tell what level or when the hits are coming...any help would be appreciated

2. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

practice more on defending/ blocking against low attacks, note that the only thing that's gonna hit you when ducking is mid attacks, and low throws, but some some characters dont have low throws, so in your case them always attacking low is a good thing, practice blocking low coz most of the time after they attack low and you block it you have an opportunity for a low throw, low throw commands for Aoi are: [2][P]+[K]+[G] and [1][P]+[K]+[G]combos have patterns break down that pattern and you'll know wether they're gonna hit high/mid/low.
    you'll also notice most of the time when they're gonna hit low most of them duck before the hit.

3. ShunAoi

ShunAoi Member

thanks, i know her low throws i use them but only when i hit with the b,f+p+k and then while they're crumblin down i low throw, but otherwise they never seem to be close enough to throw..and her low counter(when i actually perform it) doesn't cause damage and just pushes them away..what good mid attacks does she have that will hit low oppenents? thanks

4. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

if i recall correctly, her mid attack are[6][P][P], or[6][P]+[K] and a bunch of other ones i cant quite remember, here's a rather risky thing i do with Aoi (note i said risky) so this is not to be done often,[6][K]+[G][P] if [P] hits i follow up with [6][K][K] the [3][P]+[G], also note [3][P]+G is not considered a low throw, coz its executed while standing, and what youre really doing is just picking your opponent off the the groun while he motion less, anyways if the opponent blocks it(here's the risky part) i QUICKLY follow up with[6][P][P] then [K][K], how ever if the follow up connects you will gain the upper hand for sure, what else.....
    well i gues thats it, oh yeah every time you get a standing throw opporunity i'd suggest doing [4][1][2][3][6][P]+[G], [4][2][P]+[G] then [8][2][P]+[G] ( king style throwing) i strongly suggest the [8][2][P]+[G] on the last part of the throw series coz it gives me a chance for a weak down attack ([3][P]), and the other throw i suggest you use when the opportunity arrives is [8][7][4][1][2][3][6][P]+[G] then [4][1][2][3][6][K]+[G], another advice, a guaranteed low throw opportunity is when for example lion tries to trip you twice ([2][K][K]) and you block it, then execute the low throw, and its definitely gonna connect, another one is when they do a spinning low attack, hope all this info helps.

5. ShunAoi

ShunAoi Member

thanks for the advice..i love both of those throws and i do them constantly..unless its a quick throw then its usually df+p+g, but i also like the one part throw which is like the circle backwards...it looks mad cool...anyone else find her R! slaps useful?

6. FarOutFreak

FarOutFreak Member

You would find the slaps useful whenever an opponent expects the reversal.

The speed of the slaps are kind of like Shun's fast high punches ([4]+[6][P][P][P]), although getting the last slap blocked could get you into some trouble. AI sometimes falls for a consecutive series of slaps, though...

7. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

The one part 3/4 throw as a almost garantied ground throw after it. It's not 100%, but the opponent has to move fast to get out of the way.

[P][P][6][P][P]. The last part hits mid, not so usefull against the computer, but great against humans after you've abused the [P][P][P][2][K] combo.

[6][P] & [6][P][P] are very efective. especially since it can stager a crouching apponent and if he blocks you can follow the first elbow with a throw or finish the combo. Good little mind game /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

[6][6][P] is also mid, a bit slow but good range.

[4][6][P] mid and can be connected to the grab thow.

[4][3][P] yup you guest it mid. I find my self using this one alot more than the [4][6][P]+[K] now. It alony crumples on counter but it's fast enough and very defensive.

[2_][3][P] works great after a [2][P]. you have to wait a couple of frames for the computer to fall for it, but the pay off is good if you can get the grab after.

[6][P]+[K][P] is a damn nice combo for the same reason [6][P][P] is. It is slower however, but it has more range.

[6][6][P]+[K] is my favorite mid. Its speed is ok, but if the opponent blocks it and your fast enough to imput
    [4][4][P]+[K] it will cause a head crumple. After tht the pushiment should commence /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Hope this didn't put you too sleep too much, and hope it helped any.

Winning glorifies, losing teaches,
    Cuz

8. 1k1k

1k1k Active Member

I find myself using more low throws against Shun and more low reversals against Lion, although i honestly don't know why. Lion has a few low combos that, if you block the first attack, and are quick enough, can reverse the second.

As for striking attacks, i like to use [6][P]+[K] [P] because of range, and if the second hit connects it will knock him off his feet. If he doesn't IR or TR (or whatever that [P]+[K]+[G] recovery is called) then you can usually get in a [2][K] or maybe even a [2][K]+[G] as they bounce.

Speaking of which i usually poke Lion and Shun with [2][K] fairly often. It's fast and may catch them off guard (counter to some of their slower low attacks), giving you the advantage. [1][K] is a decent counter.

[6][6][P]+[K] works great too cuz it's faster and floats 'em a little more, but i like to keep my distance and use her other elbow attacks ([6][P]+[K] or [6][P][P]) more (just my style)

And uhmm..don't forget about jump attacks, which are usually ridiculous but if your opponent is particularly abusing low attacks and you aren't having luck with reversals, use a jump punch or kick (i'd recommend the punch because Aoi has that one jump kick in which, as she comes down, she plants one foot on the ground as she kicks with the other, which means she's open to low attacks..of course if you're good at timing your jump attacks that isn't a problem but whatever).

Oh yeah..Shun's [2][K]+[G] is slow and so is that double low kick that Lion has ([2_][K][K] or something like that)..once he commits to both attacks, that is. So, if you keep your distance and are really quick on the draw, you could try [8][K]+[G], which is risky, but if it connects you'll be in good shape. Also if you keep your distance, [3][K] is a good one to interrupt him as he's going into his low attacks.

Lastly, and this also pertains to keeping your distance, if you're really good at timing, do a low sweep ([2][K]+[G]) while Lion is in the middle of one of his low combos. That's a risky maneuver but will knock him flat on his ass if you pull it off.

The problem with Lion is that he's so damn fast..i guess you have to take chances here and there.