1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Ludicrous character weight

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Zero-chan, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

I got started thinking about this subject recently... for being a "realistic" figthing sim, some of this stuff is nuts.

For starters, have you seen how much Vanessa weighs? 55kg.
    OK, how many of you people actually believe a woman of Vane's height with the sort of body that she has would weigh 55kg... the same as Sarah?
    I wonder if they "doctored" her weight to make her seem more attrctive or something...? Guys usually don't like big women. (but then again, if they don't like big women, I don't think they'd be the type that's attracted to Vane anyways.)
    Although, I've heard that in-game she has gained weight since ver. B they haven't changed her bio to reflect it.

Even some of the "heavier" characters' weight doesn't seem quite right. Kage is 66kg...?

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Not only that, in their bios, Lau is heavier than Jacky, but in the game, Jacky floats less than Lau.

3. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Those Bio´s and story´s surely mustve been written after manny glasses of Sake or Asahi superdry .
    Oh hey guys burp waaaahahahaha, why dont we make oure Honey chara here 16 burp .
    Woaaaaaah awesome man, youre the best friend I ever had, gimme a hug man .
    Yeah I love you too man ( starts to sing and falls from his barstool )

4. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Yes it is silly but at least they've made the changes gameplay wise in Version C. For better or for worse (depending if you use her or not I guess) she's now in the Middle weight bracket. Floating her in Version B like Aoi or Pai was amusing but totally wrong. I like Vanessa's design. She's foxy.

With regards to Kage, Ninja are always portrayed as super light in games. Usually possessing the highest jumps or fastest dashes etc. While we're talking about weight, can someone please confirm that Shun and Lion are now Light weights.

5. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

well, for one thing, most of the characters in VF seem very heavy. although i don't know the metric equivalents to it, i got out a calculator and figured out that jeffry is around 6 ft, 180 lbs, or something like that. by those calculations, he could be a small linebacker or something. could be 200 lbs, i might have calculated wrong. sarah is about 5 ft 6, 120 lbs, which doesn't seem right. don't women usually weigh around 110 lbs?

but then, this is technically a fighting tourney, so they should have some extra muscle, but this still seems absurd; you'd think by these calculations, that sarah could kill ya by sitting on ya. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Marginal

Marginal Well-Known Member

The Jeffry weight seems a bit on the light side. The guy's loaded with muscle and has a gut to boot. Most WWF wrestlers at his height/build average about 250lbs, not 180 (which is near ideal weight for a 6 footer)

Heck, I'm 5'11" and weigh 210lbs. I look average. I'm nowhere near Jeff's muscle mass, don't have his gut etc. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Sarah's sounds about right. She's more muscualr than an average woman which could explain why she's not average weight for her build. Vanessa doesn't appear to have any body fat at all so ... Eh.

Compared to Soul Calibur's weight ratios...Seung Mina's 5'4" and 106lbs. Siegfried's 5'5" and weighs 110lbs. Astaroth does not look 6'4" and 209lbs at all. Maxi's underweight at 5'8" and 126lbs if you go by diet charts etc.

7. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

One thing to consider is that muscle is heavier than fat (more density). Looking at the characters with this in mind, a lot of them seem really, *really* underweight.
    Vanessa especially, considering her build she I think she should be at 150 pounds more realistically (about 68 kg).
    Jeff at about 180 is damn freaky too...

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I think the whole weight thing is simply based on this:
    they make one character and randomly designate his weight as XXkilos. They make an educated guess as to what their real world weight would be. So that ONE character has a realistic weight, and he's a mid-weight char, maybe kage or something.

Then they simply scale the weights up or down to suit how much extra (or how much less) other characters should float in relate to character X.

As for 'confirm that shun and lion are now light weights': lion's always been light, and really "light weights" is just a subjective class made up by people to give you an idea of how high they float. You can call lion the heaviest lightweight or the lightest midweight but it doesn't change the fact that he's "fairly floaty". Just watch the float carefully on a situation-to-situation basis.....