1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

MAMMOTH VF4 REPORT!!!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ice-9, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

just some nitpicks...

> RE: DLC: And if you can pull it off, if you SDE an opponent's back (usually after RBC)

this makes no sense. clarify.

> RE: LAU: His jisoutai is pretty good

you wanna tell us what that is in english, or the command input?

> RE: WOLF, low side throws: Why? Try dodging and hitting d/f or d or d/b + P+K+G...guess what comes out every single time.

um...why not just dodge and then enter P+K+G?

> RE: SARAH: Her elbow-knee is not a very good move...she is very killable when the knee is blocked.

and that's different from vf3 how? :p

2. nidopal

nidopal Member

I had a chance to play VF4 a bit in Hayward today. Here are a couple of tidbits about Lau I found out.

Lau's elbow-palm(f+P, b, f+P) can now be done with just (f+P, P). Also, his d/f+K, f+P, b, f+P is now accomplished with d/f+K, P, P.

Just thought that would interest some of you.

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

>> RE: DLC: And if you can pull it off, if you SDE an opponent's back (usually after RBC)

>this makes no sense. clarify.

Oops, incomplete sentence. For some reason I didn't finish my thought there. Basically wanted to mention the SDE (back) -> P -> DLC thing. It seems that if you fall a certain way you can't PKG recover. Can't confirm for sure.

>> RE: LAU: His jisoutai is pretty good

>you wanna tell us what that is in english, or the command input?

f,d+K

>> RE: WOLF, low side throws: Why? Try dodging and hitting d/f or d or d/b + P+K+G...guess what comes out every single time.

>um...why not just dodge and then enter P+K+G?

If you do it right away you'll get the special dodge attack. If you wait long enough so that you can low throw, it's usually too late. There are some exceptions...the "Top 3" Wolf/Jeffry player did a low side throw once after dodging Lion's b,d/f+P, but that was the only time. Like I mentioned, there were down punches galore. In 3, this meant rape session. In 4, it meant getting out prioritized over and over and over and over...

>> RE: SARAH: Her elbow-knee is not a very good move...she is very killable when the knee is blocked.

>and that's different from vf3 how? :p

One consistent thing I've noticed is that moves that make you go in the air in 4 makes you float a lot longer. Kage's hopkick and Sarah's knee are two examples (Wolf and Jeffry less so). If you block Sarah's knee you have like forever to do what you want, whereas in 3 your reflexes at least have to be a little bit faster.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

nidopal, I only played Lau once but damn, didn't even notice.

Oh yeah, as for the buffer window...didn't notice anything. Definitely not less than 3, as far as I can tell.

Adam, that image takes forever to load.

5. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

hey jeff, wonderful review,

on dodging, notice how if you dodge your opponent's move (as opposed to just dodging randomly) your character does one of their yells? so the game is obviously considering whether you're evading a move or just evading..

i think you may be right that the tap up or down dodge in vf4 is smaller than it is in 3, though i'd like to get some more opinions on it... my instinct was that it was pretty much the same as in 3, but i have been known to be wrong about judging things like this.. either way, i find tapping to dodge pretty reminicent of just hitting e in vf3 in terms of how it works in the game.

i'm sure someone more attentive to detail (rich) would be able to tell for sure..

have fun man, and don't get canned for spending all your time playing vf4.. they might not give you an offer after the summer =)

-jason

6. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Superb report, ice-9. This is a very informative post. I don't have any questions to ask you or Spotlite (who also posted up a great report) right now, but I'll think of some to ask later.

Kruza

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey Jason, yeah, the big dodges come during attacks. I actually spent a whole round just experimenting with the escape system and the crouch dashes...trying to replicate the K-step. Boy was that a failed exercise. But when I had the first round and was basically letting my opponent win the second round, I also experimented with the dodging--it worked very nicely, although dodge->attack/throw is nowhere near as seamless as in 3, as Brian corroborated (sp?) in his report.

That weekend really saved my life...it was the first truly free weekend that I had. I did get my new assignment (veeeery interesting M&A deal), but thankfully, with senior bankers away at the client site negotiating, I'm getting another breather, heh heh heh.

Seriously though, shit, the competition here is really tough. Everyone works so damn hard and the economy is a piece of crap.